How do I take a .wav from a refill and use it outside of Reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
alexfsu

30 Mar 2016

Do I have to export the audio everytime I just want to use a .wav sample from a Refill pack somewhere else? Or is there a way to open an .rfl file in say Finder? Dragging the file out of the timeline doesn't work I guess. Thanks.

platzangst

31 Mar 2016

Refills are compressed containers, like ZIP or RAR. (I think I used to know what the compression method was a long time ago, but I've forgotten.) The file format is a proprietary Propellerhead container, and you're not supposed to be able to extract the contents, as an encouragement to ReFill developers. So, no, you probably are not going to be able to find any over-the-counter solution to easily pluck a file out of a ReFill.

Some years ago, there was a ReFill extraction tool floating around, but it was not officially supported by Propellerhead. Plus it's probably outdated by now.

gak

31 Mar 2016

Maybe I'm just mad, but seems to me that you can clip whatever you want in reason and then simply export it. It's one of reasons strong points.

platzangst

31 Mar 2016

gak wrote:Maybe I'm just mad, but seems to me that you can clip whatever you want in reason and then simply export it. It's one of reasons strong points.
Well, yes, I think he knew that, as that's exactly what he was looking for an alternative to.

kitekrazy

01 Apr 2016

platzangst wrote:
gak wrote:Maybe I'm just mad, but seems to me that you can clip whatever you want in reason and then simply export it. It's one of reasons strong points.
Well, yes, I think he knew that, as that's exactly what he was looking for an alternative to.
Which negates the strong point. I do create a lot of refills when I buy libraries with Rex files. I do like the compression.

Aquila

02 Apr 2016

There's an unofficial refill unpacker, which still works. I've had to use it a couple times to fix some badly sliced rex files that you couldn't otherwise edit.

Gam

17 Oct 2020

I have the reason refill viewer/unpacker that can help you if you'd like a copy.

drk73

18 Oct 2020

"Refill viewer" works only for old refills, made with old "Refill Packer".
For new refills it doesn't work. Also it didn't updated for a long time, which makes me thing, that it is discontinued.

tanni

18 Oct 2020

yes, and furthermore there was a limitation on exporting audio files. The "Refill viewer" works only with 16 bit audio files. If you have 24 bit wav files for example, export doesnt work.
Load the audio files in Reason and bounce it is maybe the solution.

drk73

18 Oct 2020

Yeah.

• Information