Force fullscreen mode for Reason on OSX

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
normen

23 Apr 2015

Hey,

I always waited for Reason to support full screen mode under OSX as I became pretty used to using it for my apps but the Props never delivered.. So I decided to look into a solution and I actually found one.

You just need to install "SIMBL" from http://www.culater.net/software/SIMBL/SIMBL.php and then add the "Maximizer" plugin from http://chpwn.com/apps/maximizer.html

To run the SIMBL installer you need to right-click it and select "Open" as the installer isn't signed, to install the plugin, drop the Maximizer.bundle to "/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins".

After doing that Reason gets the green "Full Screen" button under 10.10.3 Yosemite instead of the "Maximize Window" one and from my initial testing it works flawlessly. Should also work for earlier versions of OSX that support full screen mode.

So now I can switch to and from Reason easily and also gain some screen real estate for the Rack and all the other goodies in Reason, nice! :)  You can even have the separate Reason windows as separate full screens and easily move between them with trackpad swipes.

Hope this helps some people!

Cheers,
Normen

tiker01

23 Apr 2015

Out of curiosity could you take a screenshot?

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

normen

23 Apr 2015

Sure. Heres the main window on my MacBook Air 11"
http://i.imgur.com/3pxSTf7.png

And heres the separated Rack window:
http://i.imgur.com/ogqhn9p.jpg

Here you see the changed maximize button:
http://i.imgur.com/41QBAq4.png

tiker01

23 Apr 2015

I would love to have this option on Windows (7) too.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

eusti

23 Apr 2015

This looks interesting, Normen. Thanks for sharing.

I have a number of questions though, as I'm still on 7.1.2, so I'm not completely sure I get all the advantages of this setup:

- How do you gain more screen real estate? What is trimmed off? Are the menu tabs gone for good or do they appear when nearing with the mouse pointer like the dock can?
- Could I set up different windows in 7 as well?

What bugs me right now in my workflow is that I have to scroll a lot... Ideally I would like one window with the sequencer, one for the rack and one for the mixer fader section... And it would be great if I could toggle between them...

Sorry for all these questions, I haven;'t looked into this before... (I was just a tad bugged by it, but never enough to actually do something about it...)

D.

normen

23 Apr 2015

1) Yeah, the top bar and the menu bar are gone and appear when you put your mouse to the top border of your screen, just like with any fullscreen app.
2) I guess, in 7 you can detach your windows as well and as soon as its another window you can put that as full screen.

With this setup (and a trackpad) you can easily three-finger-swipe (or four-finger-swipe if you set up three finger swipe to move knobs) to move between sequencer, rack and mixer. If you don't have a trackpad (or a magic mouse) you can use Ctrl-Left/Right-Arrow which is slightly less convenient.

Of course the new browser is a bit annoying in this setup as its always stuck to the sequencer window. But when you open a browser for a device in the rack the OS automatically switches to the sequencer window. But with 7 thats not your problem :)

Actually if you don't want to install the tool you can switch between the windows by adding new desktops to OSX (open mission control and press the "+" button in the right of the top bar and putting each on a separate desktop. But that doesn't give you more screen space and you always have the additional desktops.

eusti

23 Apr 2015

normen wrote:1) Yeah, the top bar and the menu bar are gone and appear when you put your mouse to the top border of your screen, just like with any fullscreen app.
2) I guess, in 7 you can detach your windows as well and as soon as its another window you can put that as full screen.

With this setup (and a trackpad) you can easily three-finger-swipe (or four-finger-swipe if you set up three finger swipe to move knobs) to move between sequencer, rack and mixer. If you don't have a trackpad (or a magic mouse) you can use Ctrl-Left/Right-Arrow which is slightly less convenient.

Of course the new browser is a bit annoying in this setup as its always stuck to the sequencer window. But when you open a browser for a device in the rack the OS automatically switches to the sequencer window. But with 7 thats not your problem :)

Actually if you don't want to install the tool you can switch between the windows by adding new desktops to OSX (open mission control and press the "+" button in the right of the top bar and putting each on a separate desktop. But that doesn't give you more screen space and you always have the additional desktops.
Thank you for explaining, Normen!

I will look into that... Might really help me out! :)

D.

eusti

23 Apr 2015

Ok. Success! That is so cool!!! Love the look of it.
Now I just need to figure out if it really helps my workflow as much as I'd hoped! ;)

D.

normen

23 Apr 2015

eusti wrote:Ok. Success! That is so cool!!! Love the look of it.
Now I just need to figure out if it really helps my workflow as much as I'd hoped! ;)

D.
Its so cool to just make the whole computer "be" Reason, right? Glad it worked out for you and hope it'll help you.

eusti

23 Apr 2015

eusti wrote:Ok. Success! That is so cool!!! Love the look of it.

D.
normen wrote:
Its so cool to just make the whole computer "be" Reason, right? Glad it worked out for you and hope it'll help you.
Yes! It definitely helps! Thank you again! :)

D.

• Information