Reason 8.3. Can not record through an external MIDI controller. A bug ?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Micronini

09 Mar 2016

This is a tricky one :

With Reason 8.3, we have 3 ways to use an external MIDI surface controllers :

1. Selecting a track with the Master Keyboard (Master Keyboard Input) :puf_smile:
2. Edit Remote Override Mapping :puf_smile:
3. Attribute an external MIDI controller to the "External Control Bus inputs" (Advanced midi device) :puf_unhappy:

Those 3 methods are working fine except that with the method 3 (use of "External Control Bus Inputs" you can not record the changes into the Reason's sequencer.
Reason Suite : 11.2.1.d17
Controllers : Novation MKII (with Automap 4.9) + QuNeo (Keith McMillen)
MIDI : Moog Sub Phatty
Many, many :re:
OS X 10.13.6 on a MacBook Pro 15" 2017
Sound Card : Presonus StudioLive 16.0.2

Raveshaper

09 Mar 2016

You must also load a control surface, such as Reason > Preferences > Control Surfaces > Other > MIDI Control Keyboard and lock it to the sequencer track you want to record notes/etc into by right clicking it and selecting "Lock <control surface name> to this track".

This is the intended behavior, it is not a bug. But no, it sure isn't intuitive compared to other software.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

Ostermilk

09 Mar 2016

Micronini wrote:This is a tricky one :

With Reason 8.3, we have 3 ways to use an external MIDI surface controllers :

1. Selecting a track with the Master Keyboard (Master Keyboard Input) :puf_smile:
2. Edit Remote Override Mapping :puf_smile:
3. Attribute an external MIDI controller to the "External Control Bus inputs" (Advanced midi device) :puf_unhappy:

Those 3 methods are working fine except that with the method 3 (use of "External Control Bus Inputs" you can not record the changes into the Reason's sequencer.
Yes, the external controll bus is midi channel aware and provides a nice sync but as you pointed out you cannot capture midi on the sequence that way even though you can trigger up to 16 rack devices at once on a single port.

Apparently it's by design but I'm not sure what design it fulfils I'd love a 16 channel midi input that would record on the sequencer without convoluted workarounds.

Currently you have to assign a whole port to input device using the first methods. No separate midi channel assignments there makes it a bit of a bizarre setup to say the least.

Olivier

10 Mar 2016

Koshdukai has made a generic multi channel aware codec. Its available here: http://koshdukaimusicreason.blogspot.co ... emote.html
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

Micronini

10 Mar 2016

Thank you for these wise answers. I'm going to try the Koshdukai's way.

Micronini

10 Mar 2016

So, it almost worked fine.
I did implemented the 16 Koshdukai_MIDIChannelX.remotemap and I can now record Notes from my QuNeo. But not the CC. They are interpreted as Note by Reason's sequencer.
I guess that I have to modify the Koshdukai_MIDIChannelX.remotemap file. But this is too complex to my knowledge of electronic musician.

Any hint ?

OverneathTheSkyBridg

22 Oct 2016

Shit I just tried doing this with the Mac's IAC MIDI Loopback Bus and Renoise. I was hoping to be able to use the tracker interface to do all my note programming, and assign the Ext MIDI out channels to individual Reason instruments and then set them all to record. Synced the Reason clock out to one loopback bus, and used another one for instruments I wanted to trigger. I can start the recording no problem but it didn't capture any of the notes that Renoise was triggering. I'll try the Koshdukai method see if it works with loopback busses.

• Information