Problems with audio from one MIDI track

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
The_G

29 Feb 2016

So I bounced all my midi tracks to audio so I could have a go in Live (want to do some drum processing there), but one midi track kept getting screwed up in the export. It's a PolySix patch with a GEQ7 and Audiomatic Retro Transformer as inserts. I've had no problems with inserts on other tracks, and when I've exported the full [edit: SONG, i.e. all the audio tracks together as one stereo audio .aiff], the PolySix patch comes out fine. Any ideas as to what might be going on?

It's not a "life or death" kind of situation, as I could just bounce the drum tracks and re-import to Reason (I'm not going to process the other stuff in Live). But I would like to figure out what's going on.
Last edited by The_G on 29 Feb 2016, edited 1 time in total.
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

normen

29 Feb 2016

What do you mean by "export the full track"? From your mentioning of inserts I take it that you mean it exports well if you disable the insert plugins?

The_G

29 Feb 2016

normen wrote:What do you mean by "export the full track"? From your mentioning of inserts I take it that you mean it exports well if you disable the insert plugins?
Sorry…"export the full song," i.e. all the midi tracks into one stereo audio track.

Basically when I do that, the PolySix midi track comes out fine, but when I try to bounce it individually, it gets messed up. All the other tracks come out fine.
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

normen

29 Feb 2016

The_G wrote:Sorry…"export the full song," i.e. all the midi tracks into one stereo audio track.

Basically when I do that, the PolySix midi track comes out fine, but when I try to bounce it individually, it gets messed up. All the other tracks come out fine.
What exactly does "messed up" mean? Does the track have any CV or audio connections to other tracks or such?

The_G

29 Feb 2016

normen wrote:
The_G wrote:Sorry…"export the full song," i.e. all the midi tracks into one stereo audio track.

What exactly does "messed up" mean? Does the track have any CV or audio connections to other tracks or such?
It was sidechained to the kick but I took that off, on the assumption that this was a likely culprit--but to no avail. No other connections--just the inserts, which are found on all the other midi tracks as well.

normen

29 Feb 2016

The_G wrote:It was sidechained to the kick but I took that off, on the assumption that this was a likely culprit--but to no avail. No other connections--just the inserts, which are found on all the other midi tracks as well.
And what exactly is "messed up"?

The_G

29 Feb 2016

normen wrote:
The_G wrote:It was sidechained to the kick but I took that off, on the assumption that this was a likely culprit--but to no avail. No other connections--just the inserts, which are found on all the other midi tracks as well.
And what exactly is "messed up"?
I'm having a hard time describing it. It's a pad sound, but nearly everything about it sounds wrong (envelope, filter, EQ, etc.).

WongoTheSane

29 Feb 2016

This won't help find the root of the problem, but as a workaround, could you try to solo this track and "Export Song to Audio" instead of "Bounce Mixer Channels"? As you state that exporting the full audio works, it might do so with just that one track, and also could help narrow down the problem to the bounce function...

The_G

29 Feb 2016

WongoTheSane wrote:This won't help find the root of the problem, but as a workaround, could you try to solo this track and "Export Song to Audio" instead of "Bounce Mixer Channels"? As you state that exporting the full audio works, it might do so with just that one track, and also could help narrow down the problem to the bounce function...
I'll try that, thanks! My other idea is just to bounce the drum tracks, work on those in Live, then reimport into Reason and export the song from there.

The_G

29 Feb 2016

WongoTheSane wrote:This won't help find the root of the problem, but as a workaround, could you try to solo this track and "Export Song to Audio" instead of "Bounce Mixer Channels"? As you state that exporting the full audio works, it might do so with just that one track, and also could help narrow down the problem to the bounce function...
Didn't work, nor did exporting at 16-bit depth or exporting dry--thinking it might be a problem in Live rather than Reason now.

normen

01 Mar 2016

The_G wrote:I'm having a hard time describing it. It's a pad sound, but nearly everything about it sounds wrong (envelope, filter, EQ, etc.).
Maybe its simply distorting because its over 0dB? If you bounce single channels to 24bit files that could cause issues.

WongoTheSane

01 Mar 2016

The_G wrote:
Didn't work, nor did exporting at 16-bit depth or exporting dry--thinking it might be a problem in Live rather than Reason now.
Do you mean that you have only listened to the exported stem in Live? If it's the case, loading it back up in Reason in the same song (and muting the corresponding midi track) would make sure whether the problem is in the stem or in Live... Maybe you could also try in Audacity or whatever audio program you use?

The_G

01 Mar 2016

WongoTheSane wrote:
The_G wrote:
Do you mean that you have only listened to the exported stem in Live? If it's the case, loading it back up in Reason in the same song (and muting the corresponding midi track) would make sure whether the problem is in the stem or in Live... Maybe you could also try in Audacity or whatever audio program you use?
Yeah, I can confirm now it's an issue with Live. Made a faulty assumption--should have checked the stem first to see which program was at fault.

WongoTheSane

01 Mar 2016

The_G wrote:
WongoTheSane wrote:
The_G wrote:
Yeah, I can confirm now it's an issue with Live. Made a faulty assumption--should have checked the stem first to see which program was at fault.
Problem half-solved! In case you're in a hurry, maybe you could load the WAV in an audio program and re-save it under a new name, this could rewrite the headers of the file in a slightly different way so they're more compatible with Live...

• Information