The IR thread

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
bmarsh

05 Sep 2015

I've been trying different ones in the RV7000MKII and the Rosen Studio Guitar impulses sound the best, by far. The custom ones are really good. The Rosen and OwnHammer impulses are all i use for guitar amp sim stuff in Reaper. In Reason, the Rosen IRs sound better than the OwnHammer ones, so far. Still checking 'em all out . . .

http://www.rosen.digital/studio-guitar-impulses/
"The end is built into the beginning" - Charlie Kaufman

jfrichards

10 Sep 2015

bmarsh wrote:I've been trying different ones in the RV7000MKII and the Rosen Studio Guitar impulses sound the best, by far...
My goodness, the Rosen IR's ($8 each cab) sure sound fabulous.

gak

19 Sep 2015

jfrichards wrote:
bmarsh wrote:I've been trying different ones in the RV7000MKII and the Rosen Studio Guitar impulses sound the best, by far...
My goodness, the Rosen IR's ($8 each cab) sure sound fabulous.
I think that guy is using an axefx with them btw.

I have the "budda" 1x12 and the "atlantic" 4x12 and they are nice. Thinking about picking up a couple more today but it's total trial/error because to my ears all of those demos sound the same (and pretty lame if you ask me)

bmarsh

19 Sep 2015

The Marshall 1960A and the AC30 impulses are really good. I also love the OwnHammer impulses (use 'em all the time in my other DAW) but they just don't seem to sound as good as the Rosen ones in the RV7000 MkII.

gak

19 Sep 2015

I wish I didn't already own the budda 1x12, then the boutique pack would be a no-brainer. (edit, my maths may be wrong :lol: )

The "epifani" bass cab is a no brainer. edit

It's going to be the epifani bass, the divided by 13, the blackstar (open cab) and the port city because I'm feeling greedy. I'll report back later :lol:

gak

21 Sep 2015

It's taken me this time to get used to them.

a) The 2x12 cabs remind of real 2x12 cabs. Not really deep and very buzzy/fizzy. The exception is the divided by 13 which has a little low-end omffff to it. This is easily rectified by a little 56hz from the kuassa and killing the excessive highs with a deep drop with the 3.9k LPF. Then it's just a matter of getting the other stuff right.

b) I did not know there was a "size" control that could be so useful. Not sure I understand it yet and haven't tested in a mix, but seems to kill off some of the fizz. Much work to do.

c) I have my cabs on my "D" drive and listed under favorite for "cabs" and every time I click on one (before I drag it over) I get a little "click" and I've not had that issue with reason. Anyone else?

bmarsh

21 Sep 2015

gak wrote:It's taken me this time to get used to them.

a) The 2x12 cabs remind of real 2x12 cabs. Not really deep and very buzzy/fizzy. The exception is the divided by 13 which has a little low-end omffff to it. This is easily rectified by a little 56hz from the kuassa and killing the excessive highs with a deep drop with the 3.9k LPF. Then it's just a matter of getting the other stuff right.

b) I did not know there was a "size" control that could be so useful. Not sure I understand it yet and haven't tested in a mix, but seems to kill off some of the fizz. Much work to do.

c) I have my cabs on my "D" drive and listed under favorite for "cabs" and every time I click on one (before I drag it over) I get a little "click" and I've not had that issue with reason. Anyone else?
Small snip from a SOS article:

<The adjustable parameters are fairly self-explanatory, but some are worth a deeper look. Mostly they directly affect the impulse response sample, thereby changing the way the input source is affected by the convolution process. For example, Length fades out the sample. Size speeds the sample up or down, scaling the time of the reflections and reverb. Predelay shifts the IR backwards or forwards in time, and allows for both positive and negative values. A positive value produces a traditional delay between the source signal and the reverb. A negative delay is, in reality, zero delay, but effectively trims off the start of the sample, so the reverb response begins at a point further in. For example, you can remove initial echoes/reflections from a response, or shorten the natural pre-delay of a sampled response.
The Stereo Mode also warrants some explanation. The default mode is Stereo, which actually sums the input to mono, then applies the convolution in stereo with 100 percent spread/width. There are also 25, 50 and 75 percent stereo options for limiting the width, as well as mono. There are then four options that change the width over time (for example, M>S Fast, S>M Slow). Finally there is a Parallel mode which will treat the left and right inputs separately with the left and right responses (if it’s a stereo IR sample), so this is the only true stereo processing mode.>

I'm also getting the click when choosing a IR/.wav file.

selig
RE Developer

21 Sep 2015

gak wrote:It's taken me this time to get used to them.

Remember that IRs are basically a kind of "sample". The "Size" parameter in the RV7000 is simply a pitch/speed control (in semitones) that allows you to adjust the convolution "size". And just like with a sample, when you pitch/slow it down you basically just shift all the frequencies down. This of course leaves a gap at the top where this are now no samples to represent the top octave(s), and thus you will loose some of the "fizz".

There is one odd behavior to be aware of with this parameter in the current version (as of 2015), and that is that at a Size setting of 12 and above there is a significant drop off of higher frequencies. To retain as much of the "fizz" as possible when increasing size (lowering pitch/speed) try to stay with a Size setting of 0-11.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

gak

21 Sep 2015

Thanks much guys!

gak

23 Sep 2015

MAJOR FACEPALM! :oops:

The "click" is because the impulse response is being played in the browser DOH!

joeyluck

23 Sep 2015

gak wrote:MAJOR FACEPALM! :oops:

Many folks have been there. I reported this as a bug to Propellerhead during beta testing lol :redface:
Of course, I am accustomed to having the auto play turned off, but when installing the beta, that is on by default.
And since I was only messing around with the RV7000 MkII and nothing else, it took me a few minutes to realize my error.

craven

23 Sep 2015

gak wrote:MAJOR FACEPALM! :oops:

haha, yeah, it can be confusing, came here to tell you about the click origin when I saw your last post - but you got it on your own :)
:ugeek:

gak

28 Sep 2015

Alright. I don't like the guitar ones or any of the presets I've made with them :lol:

The "epifini" bass is the best surprise of the bunch. The softube bass amp sim with the cab off and an instance of RVII with the cab (it's a choice of three but I just use the first one) is very nice and sits in a mix. With the kuassa Cerberus it's not as sharp on the highs w/o eqing and frankly the softube/rv/epifini is better cpu choice.

It's endless isn't it? :lol:

rogerraa

29 Oct 2015

Does anyone have a the Kalthallen Cabs Free by chance? It doesn't seem to be available anymore from the creator.

bmarsh

05 Nov 2015

Right here on the bottom left:

http://cabs.kalthallen.de/kalthallen_free.html

rogerraa wrote:Does anyone have a the Kalthallen Cabs Free by chance? It doesn't seem to be available anymore from the creator.

rogerraa

05 Nov 2015

Oh sweet, they are back up.. went to missing dropbox file before. Thanks!

NaviRetlav

07 Nov 2015

Just in case you didn't know, you can now download the demo version of our IR packs at www.naviretlav.com/impulse

platzangst

24 Nov 2015

Just got an email from Diego Stocco announcing a new collection of (commercial) rhythmic IRs:

Ostermilk

23 Dec 2015

There's an interesting 'free' library of generated IR's which also links to a page where you can generate your own synthesized IR's online using several given parameters.

The free library and linked (beta) app can be found here.

https://www.wiregrind.com/impulse-response-library.jsp

I've found the online tool great for creating stereo width enhancing type IR's.

eusti

23 Dec 2015

Ostermilk wrote:There's an interesting 'free' library of generated IR's which also links to a page where you can generate your own synthesized IR's online using several given parameters.

The free library and linked (beta) app can be found here.

https://www.wiregrind.com/impulse-response-library.jsp

I've found the online tool great for creating stereo width enhancing type IR's.
Cool. Thank you.

D.

8cros

31 Dec 2015

HRIR (Head Related Impulse Response)

http://recherche.ircam.fr/equipes/salle ... nload.html
Record For The Real Force
REASON RESONANCES

joeyluck

06 Jan 2016

Here's a few unique ones... discovered these via a blog post by Aiyn Zahev.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/impulses

See the 'Collection of Synthesized Effects.' Those are in WAV format.

The others are in SFI format, and not sure they can be converted...

gak

01 Mar 2016

Ok, I have a question (and it's primarily directed at guitar players)

For some reason, I can't find my "gods cabs" anymore. Have no clue why I was stupid enough to do that.....bear with me. So I got the guitar "hacks" stuff downloaded again, it's it's fine (though not very diverse)..now to what I'm really getting at!

My "rosen digital" packs have a latency/phasy issue. It's NOT PRESENT on the "hacks" stuff that I can tell. Going to email them but since we've brought it up here, I though, in case it's something that people know of/can fix that I'd bring it up.

Flandersh

30 Mar 2016

I have updated the beta (for Windows) version of the Filter Impulse Generator with a new GUI. The generated impulse response can be exported to wav for direct use in convolution processors. With high number of taps it may seem to hang sometimes, but it usually resolve when finishing calculating the impulse response.

Last edited by Flandersh on 21 May 2017, edited 2 times in total.

• Information