Kilohearts' Disperser released

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
joeyluck

28 Jan 2016

Anders_kiloHearts wrote:Hey guys!

Made a new vid with a non-drum example of how Disperser can be used. Check it out. :)

(In a real track I'd probably make it more subtle, but got to crank it up a bit for demos.)
Sounds great! Similarly, I've been using it on ABL3 :D

decibel

28 Jan 2016

have a feeling this will join my rack next time i have some cash flow :)

dvdrtldg

28 Jan 2016

It's great, but I agree with whoever said it needs a spectrum display

normen

28 Jan 2016

Given that it mostly works in the time domain and not in the frequency domain I wonder what advantage a spectrum display would have?

tronam

28 Jan 2016

normen wrote:Given that it mostly works in the time domain and not in the frequency domain I wonder what advantage a spectrum display would have?
Exactly my thought.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

ScuzzyEye

28 Jan 2016

tronam wrote:
normen wrote:Given that it mostly works in the time domain and not in the frequency domain I wonder what advantage a spectrum display would have?
Exactly my thought.
If a display were to be added, one showing phase-angle across the audio range would be the most appropriate.

gak

28 Jan 2016

Guess my ears don't work anymore. I don't hear the diff in the video.

Could it be that 1's and 0's really ARE THE same?? Nah, probably my ears.

odarmonix

28 Jan 2016

gak wrote:Guess my ears don't work anymore. I don't hear the diff in the video.

All-pass filtering is rather subtle in most situations, the difference is a lot more obvious when Disperser is used as a stereo widening effect. A quick example on a FSB drumloop : https://soundcloud.com/odarmonix/stereo ... ms/s-cAuK3

Combinator FX patch : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/728 ... ersion.cmb

If you still can't hear any difference, then you indeed may have a serious problem with your ears ... either that or your monitors/headphones are broken. :puf_bigsmile:

tronam

28 Jan 2016

gak wrote:Guess my ears don't work anymore. I don't hear the diff in the video.

Here is a more straightforward, exaggerated example:

Listen to the kick drum: 8 off / 8 on / 8 off / 8 on

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/614 ... erKick.wav

joeyluck

28 Jan 2016

Here's an example on an ABL3 :puf_smile:

1. ABL3 Dry
2. ABL3 + Disperser
3. ABL3 + Faturator
4. ABL3 + Faturator & Disperser

gak

28 Jan 2016

Since I can't combine quotes on this forum let me just say thanks to all 3 of ya. Yes, I can hear that :mrgreen:

EnochLight

29 Jan 2016

To be clear, the display isn't a spectral display. It's more akin to a scope's waveform display. Anywho, already bought so... ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

lowpryo

29 Jan 2016

Anders_kiloHearts wrote:Hey guys!

Made a new vid with a non-drum example of how Disperser can be used. Check it out. :)

(In a real track I'd probably make it more subtle, but got to crank it up a bit for demos.)
holy smokes! i'm excited. sometimes I hear a really dirty sounding analog synth that I'll try to emulate digitally but can never match 100%, because it has some quality that I can't quite put my finger on. hearing this demo was like a lightbulb going off! who knew phase smearing could be desirable. this is getting my money for sure.

tronam

30 Jan 2016

Speo just posted a new video showcasing Disperser:

decibel

30 Jan 2016

can you automate the frequency control slider on this ?

joeyluck

31 Jan 2016

decibel wrote:can you automate the frequency control slider on this ?
Yes you can :)

Because it is on the custom display, it won't allow you to right-click or control+click to choose 'edit automation' or option+click to create an automation lane. I think this is currently a behavior of any custom display.

If you hit record and then click and drag inside of the Frequency display, it will create an automation lane and record any automation. You can perform your automation that way, you can edit remote mapping and assign a knob and record it, or you can edit in the Sequencer once you have created automation by doing any of the above.

decibel

31 Jan 2016

good to know, cheers for response

dvdrtldg

31 Jan 2016

It's also controllable via CV in a combinator

tt_lab

31 Jan 2016

40€ seems a lot to me. Will try it when it goes on sale.

Loque

31 Jan 2016

I tried it and i could not here any magic. Sounds to me like rubber, unclean, somehow analog, a bit like a phaser with filter that scales in the frequency. I only would use it to add a little bit pressure and volume, like saturation with a bit filter resonance.

For 40€? no thanks... Maybe 20€...
Reason12, Win10

miscend

31 Jan 2016

This is a fantastic device. I use it to improve the definition of sounds in a mix and also to enhance the perception of transients.

kloeckno

31 Jan 2016

This thing is amazing on acoustic drums! It makes my band's drums sound so awesome. I added Disperser to the kick drum channel and it makes it sound so beefy! I set it to around 120 Hz for the frequency and it adds so much sustain to the lower bass drum harmonics, it sounds like a synth bass drum! But it still sounds like a real drum, it's great!

Lizard

31 Jan 2016

While I'm asking around for things..... does anyone have the Remote Map for this device? I'd like to add support for it for the Nektar Panorama.

tronam

31 Jan 2016

Skybot wrote:Don't know what this thing does but you can achieve a similar sound with the bv512 vocoder in equalizer mode.
I've noticed this as well on synths, especially simple saw waves, but on percussion sounds like kick drums it doesn't sound anything alike.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

01 Feb 2016

I took a chance with this one and bought it without trying. It's a little expensive for a one trick pony but so far I'm happy with the results I've gotten from it. Great device. I'll probably use this a lot.

• Information