AirRaid Audio - Elements Launch Competition

Great fun, great prizes! Good luck!
Faastwalker

02 Jan 2016

TritoneAddiction wrote:
AirRaidAudio wrote:We were hoping for a bit more participation, but given our sales figures (this was our best December yet in terms of revenue, and a veritable triumph in terms of units sold), it seems that people were more inclined to simply buy our devices, rather than compete for them.
I think the lack of participation is mostly because how the rules were set up. Reading the rules I felt very restricted and didn't really feel inspired. I would have loved to enter the competition and try out your products, but writing short bits of music just to showcase a product isn't as much fun and creative as writing a full tune, at least in my opinion. But then of course I'm more of a songwriter than a tweaker.
But I understand from your point of view why the competition was set up the way it was.
Time of year as well. I would have liked to have put a bit more time into this. But between wrapping up at work and Christmas there was precious little time for music making. Had a lot of fun with these effects though. They sound really good. If I don't win anything here I'll likely be purchasing some of these at some point ..... Once the Christmas financial hangover has been recovered from!

satyr32

02 Jan 2016

I was also surprised that the contest did not make a greater impact. Maybe to only make 1 combinator more people would have joined.

On a side note: On the backside of the rack it was sometimes hard to tell which device it is if you have 3 or more one above the other since all look more or less the same. Sure every device is labled on the bottom but often I confused it when I thought the label belongs to device underneath it. Hope you understand what I mean.
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2016-01-03 um 02.03.24.png
Bildschirmfoto 2016-01-03 um 02.03.24.png (1.98 MiB) Viewed 1284 times
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

Faastwalker

03 Jan 2016

satyr32 wrote:On a side note: On the backside of the rack it was sometimes hard to tell which device it is if you have 3 or more one above the other since all look more or less the same. Sure every device is labeled on the bottom but often I confused it when I thought the label belongs to device underneath it. Hope you understand what I mean.
I noticed the same. They all look very neat & tidy, which is great. But the downside is that when they are stacked it looks a little confusing around the back. The I/O also line up perfectly in most cases so it makes cable tracing a little tricky. I got around this but having them spread across the rack & used spacers (JB's freebies were perfect for this). The reduce cable clutter (shortcut 'K') was helpful here as well. I moved everything into the Combinator when the routing was done. Made it a lot easier to manage.

Benedict
Competition Winner

03 Jan 2016

AirRaidAudio wrote:and the winner was Benedict, with two
Dom
Ooh. Cool :puf_bigsmile:

It was disappointing that there weren't more entries. I guess that many people feel that they aren't good enough at patch making to want to have a go.

But if sales were good then that is the real win. I can say that if I hadn't won I would have bought at least 2-3 of these units and possibly the whole lot as they are good, useful and worthy of being default units in any DAW. Best is that they sound different from other similar units.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

AirRaidAudio
RE Developer

03 Jan 2016

Briefly:

- In regards to the competition, the feedback we've received has been very interesting and will be carefully considered for next time.
- In regards to the rear GUIs, we've received enough comments about it to warrant a tweak. The name placement will definitely be changed, and I'll also explore I/O, as Faastwaker's point is solid.

Cheers,
Dom
Our full RE catalogue: shop.propellerheads.se/browse/?q=AirRaid+Audio
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/airraid-audio
Twitter: twitter.com/AirRaidAudio
Official site: airraidaudio.com

Faastwalker

06 Jan 2016

AirRaidAudio wrote:In regards to the competition, the feedback we've received has been very interesting and will be carefully considered for next time.
Next time? As in the next time AirRaid Audio launch the next batch of super cool RE modules maybe? :D

AirRaidAudio
RE Developer

07 Jan 2016

Faastwalker wrote:Next time? As in the next time AirRaid Audio launch the next batch of super cool RE modules maybe? :D
Yes. :)

Anyway, back to the comp:

I asked Jon, our coder and head of AirRaid Audio, to evaluate the remaining three entries and provide comments.

WINNERS
- Benedict (SoundCloud favourite)
- Zhi Zhu (AirRaid favourite)

So congratulations to your both for your exceptional work! That said, the overall quality of the work by everyone was so high that we've decided to award all participants 2 free Elements of their choice. I'll be PMing you today to arrange your prizes, so be sure to check your messages.

Meanwhile, here are Jon's comments on the three non-Benedict patches:
Zhi Zhu:

1: Nice liquid glitching on top of the bass loop. Nice and subtle.
2: Really cool messed-up lo-fi distortion here, very cool! Adds loads of depth to the sound.
3: Holy shit, this distortion is even more f-ed up than the last one. Slice and dice that shit! o_O
4: Really cool liquid glitching going on here — reminds me a lot of my own work, tbh!
5: Not the craziest distortion I’ve ever heard, but one that adds a lot of texture and depth to the existing guitar loop. I like it.

Faastwalker:

1: Nice liquid drones. Takes the existing beat and stretches it across the horizon.
2: Nice subtle distortion. Adds depth to the sound.
3: Woah, suddenly we’re in ambient glitch territory. Not much of the original sound remains here, but it sounds very nice indeed!
4: More subtle sound tweakage. Sound a lot like the first one, but with higher, more hollow-sounding glitches and a thin layer of distortion.
5: This sounds like drone metal, almost, since the distortion is so thick and prominent. Awesome!

Satyr32:

1: Cool dub delays. Sounds very vast and engulfing.
2: Awesome sounding distortion. Makes the original sound feel distant and spaced-out, while adding a deliciously crisp layer of distortion on top.
3: Filtered-stereo delays. Nothing too fancy, but sounds very nice none the less.
4: And now we’re into guitar amp territory, which sounds very nice indeed. Could easily pass for a legitimate amp plugin all by itself.
5: My personal fav of your patches. Like my colleague Dom said, sounds very FSOL-esque.
Cheers,
Dom
Our full RE catalogue: shop.propellerheads.se/browse/?q=AirRaid+Audio
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/airraid-audio
Twitter: twitter.com/AirRaidAudio
Official site: airraidaudio.com

Faastwalker

08 Jan 2016

AirRaidAudio wrote: So congratulations to your both for your exceptional work! That said, the overall quality of the work by everyone was so high that we've decided to award all participants 2 free Elements of their choice. I'll be PMing you today to arrange your prizes, so be sure to check your messages.
Excellent ;) When can we expect the PM? Just got to decide which 2 to go for now. May well buy others at some point anyway so doesn't matter too much.

• Information