Option to rearrange attached windows/Mixer on bottom, to the right, etc

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
joeyluck

01 Jan 2016

I think I've brought this up somewhere here and I know I've suggested the idea to Propellerhead...
I think it would be very useful if the windows could be arranged differently or simply were arranged differently. There could be little icons at the top of the app that could easily switch the arrangements on the fly.

Most DAWs have the mixer at the bottom. This isn't to say Reason has to be like other DAWs, but it does feel natural... And as an audio engineer myself, I'm used to the faders being the closest things to my hands.
Sure you can detach the windows and arrange them yourself, but they don't quite work well that way.
It is beneficial having them snapped together and being able to resize them in relation to one another with ease with no overlap.

So, if there could be an option in Preferences to choose an arrangement, that would be very cool.
If not an option and it has to be one way, I would very much prefer the Mixer at the bottom (or right side).
I understand some folks might prefer the Sequencer be the closest thing to the transport?
What are your preferences?

Here's my preference:
The only other adjustment I made was moving the zoom function/navigation bar for the Sequencer near the top of its window as to not confuse it with other sections (such as the Rack). I think I'd be fine with the Sequencer or the Rack at the top.

I also feel like the tool bar at the top of the Sequencer says, "Put me at the top." I think I'd also like the quantize function moved from the transport bar to the Sequencer tool bar like the good ol' days, but didn't make that edit here. But mostly I just want the Mixer at the bottom (or maybe on the side)

MIXER ON BOTTOM:
R8-rearrange_windows.jpg
R8-rearrange_windows.jpg (860.67 KiB) Viewed 5413 times

[EDIT] Another preference would be to have the Mixer on the side. As to be able to display more of one or a few channel strips while still viewing other windows. On the right would be my preference as I would like the Master Fader on the right.

MIXER ON RIGHT:
R8-Mixer_on_right.jpg
R8-Mixer_on_right.jpg (847.18 KiB) Viewed 5354 times

Could even perhaps create a spotlight/inspector function (a button on the Mixer bar), and when pressed, the mixer window is then sized to fit just one channel (the channel that has focus) and the Master section.

[EDIT] Here's an idea of what that could look like:

mreese80

01 Jan 2016

i'm coo with it the way it is. but having this as an option is fine with me. for those who would like if possible grant it. i just hate something to be changed that i like. options/customizing is always good.
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

joeyluck

01 Jan 2016

mreese80 wrote:i'm coo with it the way it is. but having this as an option is fine with me. for those who would like if possible grant it. i just hate something to be changed that i like. options/customizing is always good.
I dig it. Thanks for chiming in!

Dante

02 Jan 2016

I know this doesn't affect the outcome - but are you working on a dual monitor setup ?

joeyluck

02 Jan 2016

Dante wrote:I know this doesn't affect the outcome - but are you working on a dual monitor setup ?
Occasionally when at home I'll hook up another display. But most the time I'm on my MacBook out and about.

mreese80

02 Jan 2016

Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

joeyluck

02 Jan 2016

Added another option. Through a misunderstanding for another feature lol, I figured having the Mixer on the side would also be handy.

joeyluck

02 Jan 2016

mreese80 wrote:Image
Thanks for the example. I think this would be worthy of it's own thread as it is after all a different concept. Sorry for the confusion!

mreese80

02 Jan 2016

joeyluck wrote:And it looks like I reset the votes when I made the edit :(
Good thing there wasn't too many!
whoa...lol

joeyluck

02 Jan 2016

mreese80 wrote:
whoa...lol
Lesson learned. I guess it's a way that it safeguards against changes affecting the outcome.
Although, I have the option selected that users can change their votes at anytime.

mreese80

02 Jan 2016

joeyluck wrote:
mreese80 wrote:
whoa...lol
Lesson learned. I guess it's a way that it safeguards against changes affecting the outcome.
Although, I have the option selected that users can change their votes at anytime.
i voted again...lol

True

03 Jan 2016

I always detach everything into separate windows, so splitting is not an issue for me.

joeyluck

03 Jan 2016

True wrote:I always detach everything into separate windows, so splitting is not an issue for me.
Thanks for chiming in. I tend to work in one window at a time, but at times I do like to see everything associated to a given device/channel at the same time. I like to switch between windows using the function keys, but as far as arranging several windows on one screen, nothing beats having them attached together and scaling relative to one another. It's just I'd prefer if they were arranged differently when attached...

True

03 Jan 2016

joeyluck wrote:It's just I'd prefer if they were arranged differently when attached...
I can understand that, and given the vertical nature of the rack and the SSL, splitting them differently makes perfect sense. Not sure how that would affect the sequencer, though, as that certainly benefits from a horizontal split.

But me, I'm from Texas so I like everything as big as possible. Full screen ftw!

joeyluck

03 Jan 2016

True wrote:
joeyluck wrote:It's just I'd prefer if they were arranged differently when attached...
I can understand that, and given the vertical nature of the rack and the SSL, splitting them differently makes perfect sense. Not sure how that would affect the sequencer, though, as that certainly benefits from a horizontal split.

But me, I'm from Texas so I like everything as big as possible. Full screen ftw!
Haha gotcha.

In my example where the mixer is placed on the side, I kept the Sequencer and Rack horizontal while making the Mixer vertical; Similar to the way the Browser is arranged in relation.

[EDIT] Unless of course you mean that the Sequencer benefits when everything is split horizontally, I get that. In my example arrangement I have the Browser collapsed, as the Rack and Sequencer become quite small when the Browser is open. However, I could certainly get away with seeing even less of the Mixer horizontally (when set vertically) as I could still scroll horizontally to see relevant channels. But mostly, in that arrangement, would have to just be in the habit of closing the Browser more often when the Mixer is open...

mreese80

03 Jan 2016

True wrote:

H- Town!!! :D

True

03 Jan 2016

joeyluck wrote:Unless of course you mean that the Sequencer benefits when everything is split horizontally, I get that. In my example arrangement I have the Browser collapsed, as the Rack and Sequencer become quite small when the Browser is open. However, I could certainly get away with seeing even less of the Mixer horizontally (when set vertically) as I could still scroll horizontally to see relevant channels. But mostly, in that arrangement, would have to just be in the habit of closing the Browser more often when the Mixer is open...
I would say that if this were going to be done, then with all three windows split, the sequencer should span the full width of the screen on the bottom.

True

03 Jan 2016

mreese80 wrote:
True wrote:But me, I'm from Texas so I like everything as big as possible. Full screen ftw!
H- Town!!! :D
Big D!

joeyluck

03 Jan 2016

True wrote:
joeyluck wrote:Unless of course you mean that the Sequencer benefits when everything is split horizontally, I get that. In my example arrangement I have the Browser collapsed, as the Rack and Sequencer become quite small when the Browser is open. However, I could certainly get away with seeing even less of the Mixer horizontally (when set vertically) as I could still scroll horizontally to see relevant channels. But mostly, in that arrangement, would have to just be in the habit of closing the Browser more often when the Mixer is open...
I would say that if this were going to be done, then with all three windows split, the sequencer should span the full width of the screen on the bottom.
Not sure I follow. You mean have the Rack and Mixer vertically split with the Sequencer on the bottom?
In the image above (with the Mixer on the right), that is plenty of Sequencer for me to see. Also, this is where the Zoom function comes in very handy.

I just want to be able to glimpse at things at the same time in a different, more natural feeling (to me) arrangement. If I need more of the Sequencer, then I will take the Sequencer full view or detach it... I won't be looking to edit a full song in the Sequencer in ANY single screen arrangement while viewing all windows.

I assume for most folks that when they are looking to view multiple attached windows on one screen, it's to hone in on one or a few channels/devices and their corresponding note lane, Mixer channel, and Rack devices. When you need more of something, that typically means it's time to give that section (be it the Rack, Sequencer, or Mixer) your full attention and screen real estate.

True

03 Jan 2016

Well, as I said it makes little difference to me. I want the rack and mixer tall, and the sequencer long, and I get that through full-screen windows.

C//AZM

05 Jan 2016

I'm on a mac with a track pad and a 42" TV as monitor. I use seperate windows one each for rack, seq, and mixer. With the track pad all I have to do is three finger swipe to go to the next window.Mac guys, I urge you to try this, especially if you also need more windows open for other apps such as a rewire host or the UAD mixer. Geesh sometimes I can have as many as seven windows open, each on its own screen for a single song.
Obviously, I like big screens too!
I do wish the windows would open how you left them instead of opening all in one window. This isn't much of a problem, untill you're working on several songs during a session and several sessions a day, then it gets kinda tedious.

joeyluck

05 Jan 2016

C//AZM wrote:I'm on a mac with a track pad and a 42" TV as monitor. I use seperate windows one each for rack, seq, and mixer. With the track pad all I have to do is three finger swipe to go to the next window.Mac guys, I urge you to try this, especially if you also need more windows open for other apps such as a rewire host or the UAD mixer. Geesh sometimes I can have as many as seven windows open, each on its own screen for a single song.
Obviously, I like big screens too!
I do wish the windows would open how you left them instead of opening all in one window. This isn't much of a problem, untill you're working on several songs during a session and several sessions a day, then it gets kinda tedious.
Good tip. I actually use Exposé on Mac OS X by swiping three fingers down and then tapping the window I want to jump to (when I am working with detached windows).

This feature request seeks to give more options for those times I am actually looking to view the attached windows on a single screen—the times I want to view a little bit of everything at once.

joeyluck

03 Apr 2019

I still would really like to see this.

Would be great having different arrangement options for the windows (still snapped together).

And if only one option, I think I'm now leaning more towards having the mixer to the right, so that it is bottom justified, but also more of the channel strip is viewable while still viewing the other windows. And then maybe being able to incorporate a spotlight function to size the mixer window to fit a single channel (the one with focus) and have it next to the Master.

• Information