**Attention** All RACK EXTENSION Developers This Is The GUI Thread !

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
snowcattt

29 Sep 2015

I am such an amateur, but I would like a developer to rack up some kind of random-patch-reader. These days, almost everything I do is improvised or developed through random decisions. Maybe a simple rack that pulls from your personal "Refills" folder. And maybe your rack presets are actually the file extensions (.rfl, .wav, .cmb, .repatch, .thor, etc.) so that way you can tell the rack specifically what synths to pull from, or some, or all. I know there are some work-arounds online, where you can search files randomly, but wouldn't it be nice to just randomly grab from your own collection any time you want, via a Reason RE?

I hope this makes sense. I have no technical skills, so this is my best attempt at saying what I'm thinking.

p.s. I know this is a GUI thread...maybe I should have posted elsewhere...??
Invent the life you want to live.

ScuzzyEye

29 Sep 2015

snowcattt wrote:Maybe a simple rack that pulls from your personal "Refills" folder.
Rack Extensions don't have direct access to the disk, so what you're thinking about isn't possible. Only Reason can see inside of ReFills too, so any organization and searching has to be done by Reason.

Lizard

30 Sep 2015

I do enjoy the graphic art of this thread. There are great renders and shows the huge talent of many of the artists here. I will however comment that other than use for promotional purposes (a web page or basic images) they don't become much use to a developer. In order to create a device for the rack you would have to assemble them using the tools afforded to the developer. I think a lot of the talent here would be a great asset if they applied as a developer and looked into the GUI development side of rack extensions and the requirements on 3D assets. Knowledge of design with the 3D software of choice could then really put some things together!

pjeudy

01 Nov 2015

Incase a new dev needs to reach out:
Hey everyone.
Skyre
Quick topic to offer my services for GUI design. I'll keep my info and examples brief as you're welcome to ask for more if you require it. I've been designing GUI for 10+ years. The past few years saw my attention turn solely to VST plugins and audio software.
Some things to note:

- I have both an understanding of and passion for synthesis, so I play the part of an end user as well as the pixel pusher.
- Although I'm very capable of modifying and working with code, I don't offer any UI coding services.
- I work with Photoshop, not 3D software.
- You pay for any and all of the source files, which are meticulously organized for you.
- I care an awful lot about the quality of small details, so be prepared for (mildly) irritating requests to allow for advanced visuals.

That's about it. Feel free to PM any interest and we can move over to Skype or email from there. Cheers!

- Lance @lancethackeray / http://pureav.deviantart.com/
A few examples:
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

Nirude

19 Nov 2015

Dna-labs Software Hydronexius from two-de to three-niru-de:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (2.11 MiB) Viewed 3367 times
(Finally remembered to ask permission if I can share this too, it has been on the Dna-labs webpage for some time....)

Is nice picture. ** EDIT: right click, view image > to open the huge rendering **
Last edited by Nirude on 19 Nov 2015, edited 1 time in total.
3d man.

pjeudy

19 Nov 2015

Holly wow !!!!!! That looks futuristic !!!!!! Man great job !!!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST

PSoames

19 Nov 2015

Such beautiful designs; almost makes me dissatisfied with mere virtual use.

pjeudy

20 Nov 2015

Simplicity ! Some times just the right 2 or so colors can make a design Pop !!

Data_Shrine

21 Nov 2015

As graphic designer who works in prints, I find most of the GUI on display here really great. Some rack extensions in the store are lacking, imho. Please be careful about the fonts and colours you choose. The more professional it looks, the more attracted I am. It doesn't mean that one who has a fugly GUI can't make great sounds, it just potentially means.. a lot of hesitation on the customers part.

pjeudy

21 Nov 2015

Data_Shrine wrote:As graphic designer who works in prints, I find most of the GUI on display here really great. Some rack extensions in the store are lacking, imho. Please be careful about the fonts and colours you choose. The more professional it looks, the more attracted I am. It doesn't mean that one who has a fugly GUI can't make great sounds, it just potentially means.. a lot of hesitation on the customers part.
Thanks for posting !!!!!!
Feel free to add any image to this thread. I welcome all opinion SPECIALLY from Designers!! Inspiration and possibly collaboration for GUI design is the aim for this thread ! :thumbs_up:

pjeudy

02 Jan 2016

I know that this isn't finished yet...but I'm really exited knowing that we have these talented artist browsing these forums. *Developers take Notice*

Here's a work in progress by: tt_lab

Original post with more WIP images here: http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php ... 29#p238329

cocoazenith

02 Jan 2016

This is a fantastic thread. However are these designs possible with the current RE SDK?

pjeudy

02 Jan 2016

cocoazenith wrote:This is a fantastic thread. However are these designs possible with the current RE SDK?
What I had in mind for this thread was to inspire Rack Extension developers to seek out Artist who are themselves Reason users (or any other artist). Or even inspire those RE developers too look at reference designs from other products that are simple in there design and -->*Color pallet<--*!!!. For example those REAKTOR blocks and modules.Some

Some of these Design Might not yet be possible in REASON...but a new RE developer who may not be skilled at GUI design (or at all :puf_smile: ) Might want to contact these artist featured here...if not for paid work but maybe for some suggestion or simply some feedback (having someone who's not a friend/family but who knows the craft to bounce an idea to)

This already happened in private ...I contacted a Rack Extension developer who currently has a product in the shop and connected him through e-mail and private message with an artist who posted some images on Reasontalk. It wasn't paid work but the image designer was more then happy to look at the RE developers work and gave him some feedback and opinions on his next work in progress product.

cocoazenith

02 Jan 2016

Yes, developers need a thread like this to get inspired. A lot of REs need some serious face surgeries.

And to answer my own question. I think these things CAN be done with the SDK. I'm looking at examples such as
Props' Syncronous or Parsesc. They benefit from some very nice 3D rendering. So I guess that any skinning should be
possible.

I'm a designer too and would love to help with this somehow. Kind of new in the UI business. Just few Kontakt UIs up my belt
but would love to go further into this REalm :P

pjeudy

02 Jan 2016

cocoazenith wrote:Yes, developers need a thread like this to get inspired. A lot of REs need some serious face surgeries.

And to answer my own question. I think these things CAN be done with the SDK. I'm looking at examples such as
Props' Syncronous or Parsesc. They benefit from some very nice 3D rendering. So I guess that any skinning should be
possible.

I'm a designer too and would love to help with this somehow. Kind of new in the UI business. Just few Kontakt UIs up my belt
Show and Tell :puf_bigsmile:

pjeudy

02 Jan 2016

Found this beauty from nirude :o
Attachments
Subtractor-render-2.jpg
Subtractor-render-2.jpg (630.4 KiB) Viewed 3245 times

joeyluck

02 Jan 2016

Anybody know what REs have been made using 2D assets via SDK 2.2? I wouldn't be able to tell otherwise when they are in the rack.

cocoazenith

02 Jan 2016

pjeudy wrote:
cocoazenith wrote:Yes, developers need a thread like this to get inspired. A lot of REs need some serious face surgeries.

possible.

This is was my first serious effort at a Kontakt GUI. Everything done from scratch.
There's also a ReFill with these sounds. I highly recommend it and I think they still have their Holiday sale on.

pjeudy

02 Jan 2016

cocoazenith wrote:
pjeudy wrote:

possible.

This is was my first serious effort at a Kontakt GUI. Everything done from scratch.
There's also a ReFill with these sounds. I highly recommend it and I think they still have their Holiday sale on.

Looks good ! Make more and upload them!

Lizard

02 Jan 2016

possible.

There is a missing link to this thread that I think people must be made aware of. I won't talk too much on the process because of "possible" NDA violation but people must remember a couple things. A Re GUI is made up of (until very recently) 3D objects of a certain format. These objects are imported in pieces and connected to code. So, as an example, a knob is a 3D object along with a bunch of other objects to make a UI. 2D objects are now possible as Joey points out but to me that is even more difficult IMO. Even more so that what you create has to be plausible of looking like a rack device. 2D design does however seem to be the most acceptable industry way. That is making multiple rendering of the same 3D image in 2D and basically page flipping based off a condition of the instrument.

As you see there are great 3D artists like Nirude but the only way he and others would GREATLY benefit developers is to create 3D objects to use (in scale) and provided in the 3D format the developers tools require. I would love to see them create knobs, sliders, pitch and mod wheels, display windows, faders, LED lights, power lugs, fans, panels, plates, screws.... and everything else you can imagine. THAT..... would allow developers to create great looking GUI. Having more 3D assets to work with would be real trick. A render as beautiful as they are are only good for marketing and not for actual developing. If you are a good 3D artist you SHOULD apply for developer status so that you can find out all the details on how a Re GUI goes together and the specifications. And then.... make tutorials. :) This information would be very welcome in the developer community I think.

avasopht
Competition Winner

02 Jan 2016

Lizard wrote:... 2D objects are now possible as Joey points out but to me that is even more difficult IMO ...
Ditto. 3d modelling to me just spelled out easy GUI creation (yes I know some found issues with it but for me it simplifies things a great deal).

pjeudy

02 Jan 2016

Lizard wrote:

possible.

There is a missing link to this thread that I think people must be made aware of. I won't talk too much on the process because of "possible" NDA violation but people must remember a couple things. A Re GUI is made up of (until very recently) 3D objects of a certain format. These objects are imported in pieces and connected to code. So, as an example, a knob is a 3D object along with a bunch of other objects to make a UI. 2D objects are now possible as Joey points out but to me that is even more difficult IMO. Even more so that what you create has to be plausible of looking like a rack device. 2D design does however seem to be the most acceptable industry way. That is making multiple rendering of the same 3D image in 2D and basically page flipping based off a condition of the instrument.

As you see there are great 3D artists like Nirude but the only way he and others would GREATLY benefit developers is to create 3D objects to use (in scale) and provided in the 3D format the developers tools require. I would love to see them create knobs, sliders, pitch and mod wheels, display windows, faders, LED lights, power lugs, fans, panels, plates, screws.... and everything else you can imagine. THAT..... would allow developers to create great looking GUI. Having more 3D assets to work with would be real trick. A render as beautiful as they are are only good for marketing and not for actual developing. If you are a good 3D artist you SHOULD apply for developer status so that you can find out all the details on how a Re GUI goes together and the specifications. And then.... make tutorials. :) This information would be very welcome in the developer community I think.

:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: and one more :thumbs_up:
By the way the first 2 thumbs up are for your post the last one for that image.

Nirude

02 Jan 2016

sub-2-01.jpg
sub-2-01.jpg (447.15 KiB) Viewed 3203 times
sub-2-02.jpg
sub-2-02.jpg (641.82 KiB) Viewed 3203 times
sub-2-03.jpg
sub-2-03.jpg (679.51 KiB) Viewed 3203 times
Old 3d-model, just wanted to test some materials and I needed a model.
3d man.

Vince-Noir-99

03 Jan 2016

Nirude wrote:
sub-2-01.jpg
sub-2-02.jpg
sub-2-03.jpg
Old 3d-model, just wanted to test some materials and I needed a model.

And that's how I hope all the legacy devices will look like in R9 :puf_bigsmile:

Vince-Noir-99

03 Jan 2016

Seriously, I love Subtractor so much, and I would play with that interface all day!

• Information