Tall/big tracks

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
rvman

17 Jan 2015

I would like to be able to make the tracks taller with using the mouse without having to go into edit mode.
Reason 8, EZ Drummer 2, Loop Loft loops

Gaja

18 Jan 2015

Yeah something like a fit to screen option would be awesome.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Namahs Amrak

18 Jan 2015

CTRL  scrollwheel to increase vertical size. Sadly, it's not very big even at maximum

And for horizontal resizing, the G and H keys do that quickly
My Words are my ART

Gaja

18 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:CTRL  scrollwheel to increase vertical size. Sadly, it's not very big even at maximum

And for horizontal resizing, the G and H keys do that quickly
Use ctrl+shift+scrollwheel for horizontal zoom, but still you can't get it big enough to be able to edit out clicks and the likes, like you can in protools for example.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Namahs Amrak

18 Jan 2015

Really? I find that I can 'stretch' the horizontal right out with G and H - but of course the problem then is that I can't get the right section on screen when I want to edit. I do bit of audio editing on the side for a couple of clients, and just don't feel like Reason is the best tool for the job sometimes. It's the vertical sizing that annoys me the most though.
My Words are my ART

Gaja

18 Jan 2015

Well of course you can use the g and h keys as well, but it takes longer.
And yes I agree with you. For audio editing Reason is not exactly the best tool available. And I too would love better zoom options.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

rvman

18 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:Really? I find that I can 'stretch' the horizontal right out with G and H - but of course the problem then is that I can't get the right section on screen when I want to edit. I do bit of audio editing on the side for a couple of clients, and just don't feel like Reason is the best tool for the job sometimes. It's the vertical sizing that annoys me the most though.
Exactly. I'm going to be doing a lot of audio editing for the recordings I do at church and most likely will be using another program besides Reason. Even though I *can* do it in Reason, it will be faster with something else.

Namahs Amrak

18 Jan 2015

Gaja wrote:Well of course you can use the g and h keys as well, but it takes longer. And yes I agree with you. For audio editing Reason is not exactly the best tool available. And I too would love better zoom options.
What would you suggest? I'm a bit reluctant to learn a new DAW just for this work, as it's only worth $100-$200 a week for me, and if there's a lot of learning involved, it's not the best use of my time for such a small income stream.

That said, I do have Cubase 7 (LE) installed as well as Audacity. I have rarely used Cubase, and Audacity I use typically for file conversions only
My Words are my ART

rvman

18 Jan 2015

I use Reaper along with Reason. It's great combination.

For the editing I'll be doing, I could use most any program (I also have Studio One), but it's the ability to make the tracks taller (vertical zoom) that I need for my laptop screen.

Namahs Amrak

18 Jan 2015

That's another thing for me too. When I'm at home on a 27 inch screen it's not so bad, but I often take my work to a local park by the river if it's a nice day, or to the library if it's raining, and being a whole lot smaller it's a bit of an inconvenience.

I'll try Cubase next time - although what stops me is that I can fly around Reason without even thinking too much about how to do something because I know all the shortcut keys I need, and exactly where to go for gating, muting, slice tools etc.
My Words are my ART

Gaja

18 Jan 2015

Gaja wrote:Well of course you can use the g and h keys as well, but it takes longer. And yes I agree with you. For audio editing Reason is not exactly the best tool available. And I too would love better zoom options.
Namahs Amrak wrote:
What would you suggest? I'm a bit reluctant to learn a new DAW just for this work, as it's only worth $100-$200 a week for me, and if there's a lot of learning involved, it's not the best use of my time for such a small income stream.

That said, I do have Cubase 7 (LE) installed as well as Audacity. I have rarely used Cubase, and Audacity I use typically for file conversions only
Well I use ProTools for precise editing work. Learning the basics of audio editing in ProTools is relatively quick. Interns in our studio usually learn it in a couple of hours. Of course ProTools has a certain price tag, so it might not be worth the investment for you.
I know a sound desiger who loves using nuendo or cubase for audio editing, but I couldn't give a qualified info on that because I don't know how to use it myself.
I personally didn't get along with Reaper, but many love it, especially because it is inexpensive.
I suggest you try demos and see which one is the easiest, best, or most streamlined for your purposes. I'd say that ProTools would be my choice, mainly because it is used by most studios and it does certain things really well. Like audio editing for example. The shortcuts for ProTools are really well thought out to streamline the process of cutting, fading etc.
EDIT: but I couldn't compose in ProTools if my life depended on it. I don't think it's made for that...
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Namahs Amrak

18 Jan 2015

I might end up with a full version of ProTools when I buy the Eleven rack, because while its sold 'unbundled' in the USA now, in my country I cannot find a single dealer selling the hardware on it's own. While Im not crazy about the idea of using another DAW, there are advantages to having PT running with Eleven.
My Words are my ART

rvman

18 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:I might end up with a full version of ProTools when I buy the Eleven rack, because while its sold 'unbundled' in the USA now, in my country I cannot find a single dealer selling the hardware on it's own. While Im not crazy about the idea of using another DAW, there are advantages to having PT running with Eleven.
If I had a mac I would have bought the eleven rack a long time ago and would have a copy of PT.

Cool thing with Reaper is that you can DL the full working program and demo it for as long as you want. Whether you pay for it or not is based on the honor system. Most do end up paying out of respect for the company and owner, and because it's $60.

• Information