Can a sample be pitched across the keys without it speading up in Reason?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
mreese80

21 Dec 2015

Is there a trick to load a sample into reason and have it pitched across the keys without it speading up? Or must this be done manually? If there is a trick to do this please let me know. Ableton now allows this since they updated their sampler/simpler in Ableton 9.5
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

pushedbutton

21 Dec 2015

as far as I know the samplers aren't going to do that, there'a no magic button.
probably the quickest way would be to make 11 more copies off it in the sequencer, use the built in transpose function and pitch up the copies in increments of 1 then bounce them to new samples and import them into the sampler.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

mreese80

21 Dec 2015

pushedbutton wrote:as far as I know the samplers aren't going to do that, there'a no magic button.
probably the quickest way would be to make 11 more copies off it in the sequencer, use the built in transpose function and pitch up the copies in increments of 1 then bounce them to new samples and import them into the sampler.
Great advice. Never thought of that. Wish the kong would let us transpose. thanks again man
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

mreese80

21 Dec 2015

pushedbutton wrote:as far as I know the samplers aren't going to do that, there'a no magic button.
thanks again man. that works perfectly

mreese80

21 Dec 2015

might be a dumb question but should i check dithering. i usually bounce out in 24 bit if im gonna export into another daw. but thats only because im going to mix

Skullture

21 Dec 2015

mreese80 wrote:Is there a trick to load a sample into reason and have it pitched across the keys without it speading up? Or must this be done manually? If there is a trick to do this please let me know. Ableton now allows this since they updated their sampler/simpler in Ableton 9.5
Is the NN19 not working out for you?

mreese80

21 Dec 2015

Skullture wrote:
mreese80 wrote:Is there a trick to load a sample into reason and have it pitched across the keys without it speading up? Or must this be done manually? If there is a trick to do this please let me know. Ableton now allows this since they updated their sampler/simpler in Ableton 9.5
o it works but it speeds up sampes the higher it goes. I got the answer from the guy above man. i was actually talking about the kong. but wut he said was also the answer for the kong. it applies the same way. and now i know how to do it in nn xt. so i got it all figured out. but if i want the kong to be pitched for all pads i just re import the 12th sample and load it four more times and transpose those. perfect.

selig
RE Developer

22 Dec 2015

mreese80 wrote:
might be a dumb question but should i check dithering. i usually bounce out in 24 bit if im gonna export into another daw. but thats only because im going to mix
I've personally not been able to recognize any advantage to using 24 bit samples myself.
I DO find there to be huge advantages to recording 24 bit audio if just for the additional headroom. But with samples you often normalize all samples and use velocity to control dynamics, thus automatically utilizing all 16 bits (96 dB dynamic range) for all samples. Hope this make sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

mreese80

22 Dec 2015

selig wrote:
mreese80 wrote:
I've personally not been able to recognize any advantage to using 24 bit samples myself.
I DO find there to be huge advantages to recording 24 bit audio if just for the additional headroom. But with samples you often normalize all samples and use velocity to control dynamics, thus automatically utilizing all 16 bits (96 dB dynamic range) for all samples. Hope this make sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quot
this only done when bouncing stems to mix in other daws to mix. than when youve mastered the mix dithering is switch back to 16 bit.

mreese80

22 Dec 2015

Skullture wrote:
now is see how to transpose in in the nn xt.

selig
RE Developer

22 Dec 2015

mreese80 wrote: this only done when bouncing stems to mix in other daws to mix. than when youve mastered the mix dithering is switch back to 16 bit.
I didn't mention dithering in my reply, only bit depth. The two concepts are related but not directly. You can reduce bit depth without dithering, you can add dither without reducing bit depth (though this would make no sense).
I don't want to complicate the matter here, and hope I have not done so. I'm trying to stick to talking about samples here, btw.

Selig Audio, LLC

mreese80

22 Dec 2015

selig wrote:
mreese80 wrote: this only done when bouncing stems to mix in other daws to mix. than when youve mastered the mix dithering is switch back to 16 bit.
I didn't mention dithering in my reply, only bit depth. The two concepts are related but not directly. You can reduce bit depth without dithering, you can add dither without reducing bit depth (though this would make no sense).
I don't want to complicate the matter here, and hope I have not done so. I'm trying to stick to talking about samples here, btw.

o ok. that helped. i got off topic. that was my fault.

pushedbutton

22 Dec 2015

btw I think a magic button to automate this technique would be very nice if props don't plan on updating their samplers to incorporate time stretched re-sampling (that's what I call it, it sounds right to me anyhow).
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

mreese80

22 Dec 2015

pushedbutton wrote:btw I think a magic button to automate this technique would be very nice if props don't plan on updating their samplers to incorporate time stretched re-sampling (that's what I call it, it sounds right to me anyhow).
i agree. i would like this feature on the kong as well. 16 level mode like my mpc has.

mreese80

22 Dec 2015

to do this in the kong i did the 11 copies. than i imported the 11th copy back into the sequencer 4 more times and repeated transposing. this is only need if need 16 levels on the kong...but you really helped me yesterday. i never would have thought of it.

• Information