DrumPants

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
pushedbutton

12 Dec 2015

ok, they're not that bad, but in the same ball park.

So to give you a few more details - build quality seems fine, nothing to boast about.
On board samples are pretty sucky, mainly NOT drums, which is stupid cos you've got a fixed note length, you can't hold a note down, so why try to pretend it's a synth?
Connecting to windows is via usb only, there's no support for Bluetooth LE in windows 10, it's in beta as long as you've not upgraded past windows 8.1. connecting via USB is pretty straightforward and the latency is ok.
Bluetooth LE does work in Android but the latency makes it unusable on my nexus 4, apparently it's better on the Nexus 5.
Bluetooth LE isn't supported on a Gen2 iPad, so I'm shit out of luck there.
My wireless mouse triggers one of the drums so I can do a drum roll with it, not a very desirable 'feature'.
In practical terms it's a big mess of wires attached to a little box, it takes maybe 10-15 mins to get properly set up. Most of this time will be spent trying to put the foot pads in your shoes and trying to line it up with the ball of your foot. If you don't get this exactly right you get misfires or nothing at all.
On the bright side, the app is nice, the configuration tool seems pretty intuitive and can help you do something about the crappy factory presets, although you don't seem to be able to replace the onboard sounds you can rearrange them.
it comes with the shortest usb-b lead in history - cheapskate fucks - and the packaging looks good but feels cheap.
I spent about £170 for the Neal Peart kit which includes 8 regular drums and 4 footpads, and then got stung £40 import duty.
Are they worth £210? Are they fuck!
DrumPants, nice idea - maybe when the technology catches up to solve the latency problem and the price comes down to solve the expectations problem and the footpads get redesigned to solve the 'this is just fucking stupid' problem they might be worth a look. Until then, steer clear.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

gak

13 Dec 2015

First of all, I applaud you for trying to be dynamic, edgy, and cutting edge. I wouldn't have had the balls.

Unfortunately, they didn't pan out for the cost. Sorry to hear they are not what you hoped.

pushedbutton

13 Dec 2015

Update:
I tried them on a more up-to-date iPad (iPad Air) and the latency was much better than my experience on my Nexus 4 so my experience may vary from someone else's. Having said that, this doesn't solve the other issues I have with them. There are rumours that Windows 10 will see an update to Bluetooth support soon so I may find them more useful in future.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

• Information