FET compression settings

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
zakalwe

11 Apr 2015

is it me or is there no difference between 4 and 20A compression settings?

or at least i couldn't tell so i was going to do some automated render and null tests.  then it seems like i can hear the difference on the renders  :?

so crap ears, ultra subtle compression or poss poss bugged?

selig
RE Developer

11 Apr 2015

zakalwe wrote:is it me or is there no difference between 4 and 20A compression settings?

or at least i couldn't tell so i was going to do some automated render and null tests.  then it seems like i can hear the difference on the renders  :?

Compression settings can be difficult to compare since they are so source (and other settings) dependent. For example, with high threshold setting (little compression) the different ratio settings can be quite difficult to 'hear'. It's also important to know what you're listening for when changing ratio, which is basically a "depth" control for how much to reduce the gain when the level is above the threshold. Faster time constants (attack/release) can also help you hear the differences in Ratio settings in my experience. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

zakalwe

11 Apr 2015

zakalwe wrote:is it me or is there no difference between 4 and 20A compression settings?

selig wrote:
Compression settings can be difficult to compare since they are so source (and other settings) dependent. For example, with high threshold setting (little compression) the different ratio settings can be quite difficult to 'hear'. It's also important to know what you're listening for when changing ratio, which is basically a "depth" control for how much to reduce the gain when the level is above the threshold. Faster time constants (attack/release) can also help you hear the differences in Ratio settings in my experience. :)
it's a tricky one on the FET because there's no threshold (setting)

i tried it again on the FSB rex drums and i can hear the difference now so I think you may be on the money there. the space between 4 and ALL is quite subtle though.

gak

11 Apr 2015

But it should be pretty noticeable. I have the IK black and the NI classic 76 and the all in's are pretty noticeable. Maybe there is an explanation in the manual about it? Seems when I was watching the viddy on it it was pretty noticeable on the FET.

zakalwe

11 Apr 2015

oh the ALL ins are VERY noticeable.  it's the compression ratios between 4 and ALL which are pretty subtle/is this working?

i've never really gotten my head around the relationship with the input dial, threshold and ratio though.  seems like for drum loops a lot of people just smash it to ALL with a slow attack, loads of input and then dial in some dry.  i can roll with that i guess.

selig
RE Developer

11 Apr 2015

zakalwe wrote:oh the ALL ins are VERY noticeable.  it's the compression ratios between 4 and ALL which are pretty subtle/is this working?

i've never really gotten my head around the relationship with the input dial, threshold and ratio though.  seems like for drum loops a lot of people just smash it to ALL with a slow attack, loads of input and then dial in some dry.  i can roll with that i guess.
The relationship between the input and the threshold is pretty simple. The threshold is 'fixed', and by raising the input level you achieve two things at once: you are essentially lowering the threshold and raising the output at the same time. This relationship allows you to save a step when setting up compression, in that normally you would lower the threshold and then raise the output to compensate. Typically with an 1176 type compressor you only need to raise the input to the point where you achieve the desired amount of gain reduction (after setting the attack/release). 

Quick tip for the FET: if you're not sure what to do, try starting with the "Dr. Pepper" setting (10, 2, 4, from an old Dr. Pepper ad). Set the attack to 10:00, release to 2:00, and Ratio to "4". Works great on many things, especially vocals. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

hydlide

11 Apr 2015

On Drums (Drum and Break track) I often have the ratio rather high (think 16:1) or unlimited high. Attack goes to Fast, Release to Fast and parallel compression on somewhat middle (depends on how it blends).
The input volume can then act like "how much compression do I want" knob.

Like Selig says there is no threshold since it kicks in the compressor at a certain level (I am still not sure which level this is). But once it kicks in you see them dials go up and down like mad.

I like mr Fet :D

zakalwe

11 Apr 2015

thanks for the tips guys  :thumbup:

• Information