Gain RE question

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
eusti

11 Apr 2015

Quick question in regards to Selig's Gain RE:
I'm using it for a fade out at the end of a song... Never did that before...
I automated the mute button for that... Works great...
But even though set up an unmute automation at the beginning of the track it still fades in as well...
When Reason plays back all is fine, but it renders a fade in... Has me stumped...
So, is this a user error? Bug? Any hints?

My work around for now is simply pushing everything far enough back that the song starts after the fade in...

D.

tt_lab

11 Apr 2015

I automated the button and the time for it to do it right.
It was important to change the time before the mute button went on if I remember right.

Olivier

11 Apr 2015

eusti wrote:Quick question in regards to Selig's Gain RE:
But even though set up an unmute automation at the beginning of the track it still fades in as well...
When Reason plays back all is fine, but it renders a fade in... Has me stumped...

My work around for now is simply pushing everything far enough back that the song starts after the fade in...

D.
I'm not able to reproduce this.

I've set up gain to do a fade out by automating the mute button. I have not setup an unmute automation, i just kept the static value at Off. If i let the song loop, then yes it does a fade in after fade out. Which makes sense because the the mute button switches state on looping around.

But if i let the song start (from a full stop) with mute disabled, it starts at full volume.
And when i render it either as a loop or as a song, it starts at full volume.

:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

selig
RE Developer

11 Apr 2015

eusti wrote:Quick question in regards to Selig's Gain RE:

D.
eauhm wrote:
I'm not able to reproduce this.

I've set up gain to do a fade out by automating the mute button. I have not setup an unmute automation, i just kept the static value at Off. If i let the song loop, then yes it does a fade in after fade out. Which makes sense because the the mute button switches state on looping around.

But if i let the song start (from a full stop) with mute disabled, it starts at full volume.
And when i render it either as a loop or as a song, it starts at full volume.

tt_lab wrote:I automated the button and the time for it to do it right.
It was important to change the time before the mute button went on if I remember right.
Both of these solutions work great - choose the one that works best for you!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

kloeckno

11 Apr 2015

I'm guessing the OP had the mute button's static value set to on, and then the automation lane set it to the off position at the first measure, which triggers the fade in. If the static value is off it shouldn't happen.

Olivier

11 Apr 2015

kloeckno wrote:I'm guessing the OP had the mute button's static value set to on, and then the automation lane set it to the off position at the first measure, which triggers the fade in. If the static value is off it shouldn't happen.
Interesting. Even with the static value on, and an automation lane setting it off, i still don't get a fade in when coming from full stop.

The only way i can make it fade in from the start, is if i have a change from mute to unmute after the moment from when i start playing.
For example, if i want a fade in and i start from 1.1.1.1, i have to create a mute to unmute event (either by two automation events, or by 1 event plus a static vaule of "off") on 1.1.1.2 or it will start unmuted and not fade in at all.

kloeckno

11 Apr 2015

I see, I didn't actually try it in Reason, I just assumed that it had to have something to do with the automation and static values.

Olivier

11 Apr 2015

kloeckno wrote:I see, I didn't actually try it in Reason, I just assumed that it had to have something to do with the automation and static values.

Yeah i thought so too :) so i had to try it all ^^

eusti

11 Apr 2015

Thanks, guys! Will retest it... Did it tt_labs way for now and will report back.

D.

gak

11 Apr 2015

Is there a manual for how to do this? It's really hunt and peck trying to find out which cv does what doesn't (and several of them don't link)

Really happy I discovered the combinators, I'm sure that will help me understand more.

selig
RE Developer

11 Apr 2015

gak wrote:Is there a manual for how to do this? It's really hunt and peck trying to find out which cv does what doesn't (and several of them don't link)

Really happy I discovered the combinators, I'm sure that will help me understand more.
Not sure I follow the question - we're talking about automation not CVs here…
Selig Audio, LLC

eusti

12 Apr 2015

I got it to work, kind of... It's still more complicated than I'd like it to be, I have to say...
I only want it to do one thing and it would be great if I could achieve that with one automation, even without having to go all the way to the end...
The full stop thing seems not to work reliably here... Or I'm just too tired to figure it out... Possible... :P

D.

selig
RE Developer

12 Apr 2015

Hi Guys, 

In trying to make a short video to demonstrate the simplest way to achieve what you're asking for, I discovered a small bug with Gain's Auto Fade function. The ability to "chase" the current knob position was "broken" with the last update, but can easily be "fixed". 

The bigger "issue" will be that it will become an SDK2 RE once we fix this and update it in the store, so like with ReMark anyone wanting a version of Gain that works on "Pre 7.1" versions of Reason should grab it now!

Selig Audio, LLC

eusti

12 Apr 2015

selig wrote:Hi Guys, 

In trying to make a short video to demonstrate the simplest way to achieve what you're asking for, I discovered a small bug with Gain's Auto Fade function. The ability to "chase" the current knob position was "broken" with the last update, but can easily be "fixed". 

The bigger "issue" will be that it will become an SDK2 RE once we fix this and update it in the store, so like with ReMark anyone wanting a version of Gain that works on "Pre 7.1" versions of Reason should grab it now!

Thank you, Giles!

Appreciate the effort!

• Information