Teenage Engineering PO series bundles: Just bought one!

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
joeyluck

30 Nov 2015

Thousand Ways wrote:
sentient.minority wrote:I think I'll stick to the OP-1, Analog Four and Prophet 12 with the benefit of black keys.
Entirely different things … and an entirely different price bracket. And of course, if you already have instruments that have sharps and flats, then maybe you don't need every additional instrument that you buy to feature those.
sentient.minority wrote:I know there were a lot of pissed off early adopters in the Operator One forum.
Ahh, diddums.
Yup. I've been having fun with mine! Similarly, I'm familiar with using instruments tuned to a specific key.
It is C major; which is simply the key of C with no sharps or flats. My two submissions to Discover are A minor I believe (relative minor to C major).
And if I so please, I can transpose in Reason; which is very useful and it does it very well :)

This is not my one stop music-making workstation! It's a fun gadget, conversation-starter to take with me.

sentient.minority

30 Nov 2015

You sound slightly less grateful for the very obviously found manuals now :(

Just saying that in my opinion they're a bit stilted is all, I'm free to express that.

Let us know when you've completed the PO Eastenders theme tune though eh?

:D

joeyluck

30 Nov 2015

sentient.minority wrote:You sound slightly less grateful for the very obviously found manuals now :(

Just saying that in my opinion they're a bit stilted is all, I'm free to express that.

I'm confused. I've had the manuals. I'm well aware of what they do when I bought them.
Just expressing my view as well :)
Not familiar with Eastenders... Does that sounds similar to what I submitted to Discover?

sentient.minority

30 Nov 2015

joeyluck wrote:
sentient.minority wrote:You sound slightly less grateful for the very obviously found manuals now :(

I'm confused. I've had the manuals. I'm well aware of what they do when I bought them.
Just expressing my view as well :)
Not familiar with Eastenders... Does that sounds similar to what I submitted to Discover?
Sorry it was aimed at the poster before who couldn't find the easily accessible manuals.

Eastenders is a big soap opera in the UK that has an infamous theme based on a run up of the C major scale.

As mentioned it seems a real shame to restrict them to a set scale as it limits the ability to jam with anyone outside of it. In fairness I suspect they're designed as fairly expensive toys targeted at those without a grasp on music theory, you can't go far wrong inside of a fixed scale! Still think they could have added the other notes which could be accessed in an "advanced" mode (feels stupid to say that).

"What key are you in Paul?", "G Major", "damn, I'm one black key short!".

joeyluck

30 Nov 2015

Gotcha. Yeah, they're only $59 each. Which is a steal in comparison to how the OP-1 is priced (a tad bit overpriced IMO). I would've thought TE would have tried to squeeze more money out of customers with the PO series. They are gimmicky. But I guess this is what they can do for this price... They make great companions to my Korg Monotrons—which I prefer over these as they are analog and the Monotron Delay has worked wonders for me designing sound on the fly for theatre.

sentient.minority

30 Nov 2015

joeyluck wrote:Gotcha. Yeah, they're only $59 each. Which is a steal in comparison to how the OP-1 is priced (a tad bit overpriced IMO). I would've thought TE would have tried to squeeze more money out of customers with the PO series. They are gimmicky. But I guess this is what they can do for this price... They make great companions to my Korg Monotrons—which I prefer over these as they are analog and the Monotron Delay has worked wonders for me designing sound on the fly for theatre.
Thing is you add on the cost of a silicone case and screen protectors and they're not so cheap anymore, outside of a Black Friday offer I think they're a bit of a con.

The OP-1 is expensive but you get what you pay for, it's built like a tank, has a 4 track sequencer, programmable LFO's, built in effects, beautiful OLED display and even a Reason specific controller mode. I see it as a sound investment as a future classic.

I'd love to love the PO series but can't.

Interesting thread here: http://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/ ... n-key-of-c

• Information