Amen breaks!

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
Pinkbox

09 Apr 2015

Hi!

Am I the only one loving Amen breaks on this forum?

Here is my little collection of REX Amens :
http://perso.sodaa.free.fr/amen/amen_rex.zip

Where is yours? :)

Pinkbox

ScavvP

09 Apr 2015

Thanks a lot, much appreciated. I don't have collection of my own to share, but here is a link to some nice DnB breaks:

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/sam ... -217833/27

hydlide

09 Apr 2015

8 more glitched Rex loops made at home.
http://downloads.reasonexperts.com/glitcher.zip

mayzon

14 Apr 2015

I don't have any REX to share sadly but I do love my Amen breaks!  :D

pushedbutton

14 Apr 2015

There's only one Amen break.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxZuq57_bYM
If it's not from this track it's not the Amen Break.

1.26 if you're the impatient sort.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

FGL

17 Apr 2015

Thumbs up for the Loops. Some Amen Breaks would be a good Projekt for Discover. But the Beta is unsearchable as I see.

selig
RE Developer

17 Apr 2015

pushedbutton wrote:There's only one Amen break.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxZuq57_bYM
If it's not from this track it's not the Amen Break.

1.26 if you're the impatient sort.
Yea, I wondered how many versions of this one break would be necessary. And while we're giving these away for free, here's an even better way to show your love for this break…
Selig Audio, LLC

Pinkbox

17 Apr 2015

Are you against sampling Selig? This fundraiser campaign is completely opportunist.. It's going against the whole spirit of hip-hop and a huge part of what electronic music is (or at least, has been in late 80s and 90s). Even the drummer who actually played this break is dead...
I feel like the best way to show my love for this sample is actually sampling it myself, and praying for having people sampling it in a hundred years.

selig
RE Developer

27 Apr 2015

Pinkbox wrote:Are you against sampling Selig? This fundraiser campaign is completely opportunist.. It's going against the whole spirit of hip-hop and a huge part of what electronic music is (or at least, has been in late 80s and 90s). Even the drummer who actually played this break is dead...
I feel like the best way to show my love for this sample is actually sampling it myself, and praying for having people sampling it in a hundred years.
I think you are putting a LOT of words in my mouth, and that we will have to agree to disagree about what is the best way show love. 
Selig Audio, LLC

clone

28 Apr 2015

Selig,

Show him that you don't have anything against the amen break by making a track with one?

Pinkbox

29 Apr 2015

I am not Amen Nazi :kiss:

JNeffLind

29 Apr 2015

Can't really say I get the appeal, except as sort an "inside joke" amongst the ultra hip music fan. 

Don't get me wrong, I like it fine, just not any more than any of the other thousands of drum loops out there. 

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing? Or is it just the history, etc.?

GRIFTY

29 Apr 2015

what is there to get?  it's the most sampled drum break in music history- just about. it's no hip joke friend.  it's d&b, techno, and hip hop history

Pinkbox

29 Apr 2015

JNeffLind, the documentary I posted before talks about this : what is it to get in amen breaks? I don't really know myself. I think this is about that snare... I clearly understand people don't get it at all.

JNeffLind

29 Apr 2015

GRIFTY wrote:what is there to get?  it's the most sampled drum break in music history- just about. it's no hip joke friend.  it's d&b, techno, and hip hop history
But why is it so sampled friend?

I had never heard of an "amen break" until this thread when I watched the video and I know more about music than the average person. I don't consider myself an expert though, just a listener/fan.

You didn't really answer my question, unless the answer is that it's history. Or as pink said, something about the snare. Just sounds like a snare to me, but my ears aren't very refined. I wonder if perhaps the emperor isn't wearing any clothes here.

I suppose I just don't get the point of using something because it's been used before. Seems like kind of a lazy rationale. That's why I called it an "inside joke" among hip musicians. Not trying to badmouth something others love. Just trying to get what the deal is.

If the deal is: "lots of people have used it" then I'll let everyone else keep using it and keep trying to do my own different stuff. Whether or not my stuff is any good I don't know, but it's mine. 

JNeffLind

29 Apr 2015

Pinkbox wrote:JNeffLind, the documentary I posted before talks about this : what is it to get in amen breaks? I don't really know myself. I think this is about that snare... I clearly understand people don't get it at all.
I checked out the doc and enjoyed the history lesson. Thanks for that. I guess I'm just a bit baffled why the appeal is still there when anyone with Reason can program any number of breaks with any number of snares. But then again, my ears aren't super refined when it comes to production. There must be something special that I can't appreciate.

I know just because I don't "get it" doesn't mean I'm right and others are wrong. I'm just trying legitimately to understand the fuss.

submonsterz

29 Apr 2015

thought I might share a little something I did a while back after an amen break thread on old skool back on puf.
bear with it through the first part its all part of the rouse ... it gets going about 0.40 in.

GRIFTY

29 Apr 2015

The point is, the amen break created d&b. The amen break IS the d&b sound. 99% of early d&b records used it, or manipulated it somehow. You can use buffre and play an amen underneath and have an instant authentic sounding d&b track, because you're using the same exact tools as the early pioneers, and plenty of modern producers as well

JNeffLind

29 Apr 2015

GRIFTY wrote:The point is, the amen break created d&b. The amen break IS the d&b sound. 99% of early d&b records used it, or manipulated it somehow. You can use buffre and play an amen underneath and have an instant authentic sounding d&b track, because you're using the same exact tools as the early pioneers, and plenty of modern producers as well
Fair enough. Tradition is important. As long as you're doing your thing and what makes you happy, I say... AMEN!!!

submonsterz

29 Apr 2015

GRIFTY wrote:The point is, the amen break created d&b. The amen break IS the d&b sound. 99% of early d&b records used it, or manipulated it somehow. You can use buffre and play an amen underneath and have an instant authentic sounding d&b track, because you're using the same exact tools as the early pioneers, and plenty of modern producers as well
dnb wasn't invented in its form when I first used it hiphop had just emerged and then it was the jungle scene that took it by storm on the amen break long before dnb of today or of past . jungle massive killed it big time :) .

Pinkbox

29 Apr 2015

Well... I'm not that attached to history. But I do like the political meaning of using (such) a sample..

submonsterz

29 Apr 2015

think we need to take all whats been posted in files and make a mash up mix each then mash em all together as one big mash up mix :) .

• Information