Fader Groups

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Raveshaper

11 Nov 2015

Some time ago, someone in particular mentioned fader groups in Logic and how Reason doesn't have them.
They even went so far as to make a short video detailing the difference. I forget who.

Well, this isn't a one to one comparison, but is this what they were after?
I guess if they're still active here I'll find out.

:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

ScuzzyEye

11 Nov 2015

I meant to ask you in the other thread. Are the relative ratios between the grouped fader maintained after you've released the controlling one? Like what happens if you reduce the controlling one to 0, and release the mouse, then later come back and increase it again? If the grouped faders do return, to their original ratios. Where is this offset value stored? How easy is it to change?

Raveshaper

11 Nov 2015

The controlling fader can be considered a scalar value.

When you adjust the controlling fader, it basically applies its value divided by 127 to the desired maximum level for all the other faders.
The relative faders can have minimum levels and maximum levels, plus automatic inversion when the min is set above the max to allow for crossfades. Each relative fader stores its own min and max settings individually, so everything remains the same until adjustments are made on the controlling fader. The link between the controlling fader and the relative ones can be deactivated and restored also.

I think a dedicated project intended to make this more user friendly and intuitive needs to be researched, but I am concerned it may prove impossible considering how Target Track Name works and how selecting multiple channel strips conflicts with that. But still, it should be possible to make this a "real" feature that works better than it does already. It just might mean taking on an assistant.

Raveshaper

11 Nov 2015

Oh, forgot to address your question about editing the settings.

Adjusting the minimum and maximum levels of the faders is performed by toggling two different editing modes, each dedicated to either min or max. With one of these modes on, all faders that are adjusted get updated so that they store their last mouse move value as the new min or max setting. Only adjusted faders are updated, all other faders that are left untouched remain intact. Editing both the min and max at the same time allows a channel to have a fixed level, but retains the ability to be controlled if min and max are adjusted separately in the future.

You can set up clips and automation in the sequencer to enable edit modes and adjustments that you want stored as new min and max values, so its behavior can change based on a section of a song or a chunk of a live set. But MIDI does not process during export, so you have to capture the result to audio track and then render.

ScuzzyEye

11 Nov 2015

Not ideal, but better than I was expecting. That you can store the mix/max by moving the fader.

Raveshaper

11 Nov 2015

This same behavior applies to mappings on device controls, where adjusted knobs/sliders/buttons/etc store their min and max states according to mouse moves during edit mode. That's what is happening in the second image of Pulveriser in the MetaPads thread.

Gaja

12 Nov 2015

Wow looks nice! Is it more intuitive than EditEd4TV's VCA groups to set up?
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Raveshaper

12 Nov 2015

Sadly no. What you need to do is turn remote override edit mode on, then bind overrides to each channel in a fader group individually, including the control fader. This takes time to complete and can not be automated. Once the faders are bound to overrides, you must program their levels before attempting fader group adjustments with the control fader.

While I am proud of accomplishing this, and I am aware that if I am not confident in it then no one else has a reason to be, this does feel anticlimactic.

This is the result of someone pushing the technology provided within Reason as far as they can make it go, and the result is still a cobbled together mess of strange steps and intricate noodlings. I'm actually burnt out by the whole experience. But, I did the best I could. And I am still proud of the accomplishment.

• Information