Side chaining through rack devices

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Jmax

10 Nov 2015

I side chain thru the SSL all the time but wondering if I can also use say a McDSP compressors? or any other compressor for the matter. Can I sidechain through the FET I only noticed one input on the back? Also the Dcam seems possible. Do I have the setup right?
Attachments
Sidechain 3.png
Sidechain 3.png (383.29 KiB) Viewed 655 times
Sidechain 2.png
Sidechain 2.png (458.91 KiB) Viewed 655 times
sidechain 1.png
sidechain 1.png (513.58 KiB) Viewed 655 times

Exowildebeest

10 Nov 2015

Sure, that's what sidechain inputs are for. Feed the sidechain input any audio signal that you want to use as a sidechain source and you're good to go. If you want to have the sidechain source audible you'd have to split it of course.

Jmax

10 Nov 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:Sure, that's what sidechain inputs are for. Feed the sidechain input any audio signal that you want to use as a sidechain source and you're good to go. If you want to have the sidechain source audible you'd have to split it of course.
Is there a reason the FET only has one input? instead of a L and R ?

Exowildebeest

10 Nov 2015

I'm not entirely sure, but maybe because a mono signal is equal to a stereo signal anyway in this context, as the compressor simply responds to the highest peak. It doesn't matter whether it's coming from the left or right cable. So a mono input is enough.

selig
RE Developer

10 Nov 2015

Jmax wrote:
Exowildebeest wrote:Sure, that's what sidechain inputs are for. Feed the sidechain input any audio signal that you want to use as a sidechain source and you're good to go. If you want to have the sidechain source audible you'd have to split it of course.
Unless the compressor can do otherwise, all compressors "mono" the control signal used to "compress" the audio. Since the internal control signal is mono, you don't actually gain anything from having stereo key (side chain) inputs except the fact you may need to create a mono version of a stereo side chain source before you can use the FET side chain input (if your source is stereo and there's a significant difference between the channels).

The only dynamics device in Reason that I'm aware of that features the option of a "stereo" control signal is Ozone, though it doesn't have an external input for it's control signal.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Jmax

10 Nov 2015

selig wrote:
Jmax wrote:
Unless the compressor can do otherwise, all compressors "mono" the control signal used to "compress" the audio. Since the internal control signal is mono, you don't actually gain anything from having stereo key (side chain) inputs except the fact you may need to create a mono version of a stereo side chain source before you can use the FET side chain input (if your source is stereo and there's a significant difference between the channels).

The only dynamics device in Reason that I'm aware of that features the option of a "stereo" control signal is Ozone, though it doesn't have an external input for it's control signal.
Interesting.. I will have to play around with the FET sidechain more. So the other compressors don't even need the dual LR sidechain and one input really.

selig
RE Developer

10 Nov 2015

Jmax wrote:
selig wrote:
Jmax wrote:

Interesting.. I will have to play around with the FET sidechain more. So the other compressors don't even need the dual LR sidechain and one input really.
The others will take the left and right side chain inputs and combine them - if you have something in the left channel that's not in the right, but only use the right channel in the FET, then whatever is in the left channel will NOT affect the side chain effect. You will have to combine the L/R signal into mono, the quick way is to use the audio Merger for this. Hopefully that makes sense…
Selig Audio, LLC

Jmax

10 Nov 2015

selig wrote:
Jmax wrote:
selig wrote:
Jmax wrote:

The others will take the left and right side chain inputs and combine them - if you have something in the left channel that's not in the right, but only use the right channel in the FET, then whatever is in the left channel will NOT affect the side chain effect. You will have to combine the L/R signal into mono, the quick way is to use the audio Merger for this. Hopefully that makes sense…
If I have this correct then as long as your channel isn't panned to one side you should be fine? or if there isn't some effect doing auto panning. You should be good to go side chaining Mr. FET as is.

• Information