Loading refills from different drives

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
Jmax

07 Apr 2015

I run my reason 8 from my main hd but keep all my refills on a separate internal hd.  Could this cause lag of any sort or longer loading times? coming from a separate drive?
I have all my shortcuts within the reason browser of course.
I've never experienced in problems with this except with huge combinators running a lot of RE's for e.g. Kinetic Energy is one that I have clipping/popping sounds. (first time in reason that's ever happened)
I run AMD 3.2 Ghz and 16 gig ram.  256 sample rate at 44.1 Presonus 44vlz

JNeffLind

07 Apr 2015

I'm not sure about this but my understanding is that once a refill is loaded, meaning once it's selected in the browser and appears in the rack, it's running from RAM, not from the hard drive itself. 

Maybe you could have some issues when you're browsing patches, loading refill after refill, i.e. it may take longer to load a refill but once loaded I think it doesn't matter. 

Can anyone confirm this?

avasopht
Competition Winner

07 Apr 2015

Reason loads all refills into virtual memory, whereby data is managed by the operating system between ram and the os hard drive.

In short, no, once loaded you're on an equal footing.

Jmax

08 Apr 2015

thought so as everything runs very smoothly.. oh can't wait to pop in the ssd and then were flying! :s0221: :t0152:

• Information