In love with FutzBox

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
eusti

07 Apr 2015

There was a huge thread on the PUF about it and that had made me curious...

So, today I tried it and I'm in love!
Would love of course more CV targets, but I guess that's what combinators are for...

So, if you like to serious mess things up, this is one that you might want to check out!

(and I have and love BattleAxe and Beat Crush already... Have RP Distort as well, but am somehow not getting warm with that one...)

D.

challism

08 Apr 2015

Futzbox is right down my alley, I think.  I haven't tried it yet, because I know I would be pushing the buy button pretty fast.  SO I am putting it off.  But this one is definitely on my want to buy list.
I've been surprised at how quietly this one hit the shop.  Before it was released and everyone was waiting for it, there was a ton of (impatient) chatter on the PUF.  Then it hit the shop and it was pretty much all quiet, minus a few threads here and there (one of which was started by me because I was curious why it was so quiet about this RE).  Anyway, I figured it would have had a bunch of chatter in the forum after its release, but it seems as though most of the chatter happened BEFORE it hit the shop.  Kind of strange.  Nonetheless, it's still on my want to buy list, even without having tried... I just have a gut feeling about it.

------  I wanted to try Battle Axe solely for the ability to easily re-route the devices... but Reaon8 has made that really easy.  And my distortion needs are pretty well covered at this point.  So this is a good thing, on less RE to buy (or be tempted to buy)!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

selig
RE Developer

08 Apr 2015

The thing that sets the Futzbox apart from the other "distortion" devices for me is the convolved samples used as a starting point. From there you have the same basic tool set as the others (plus a few bonus features such as noise and a gate), but for me the fun and flexibility comes from the choice of convolution starting points. 

i just mixed a video for a private space company where the Futzbox was the PERFECT one-stop effect for the voice over (count down, etc). Instant "classic NASA feel" with no futzing around! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

childofsaturn

08 Apr 2015

Challism, my personal suspicion as to why the community became quiet upon it's release is the price was higher than anticipated. I'm not going to say one way or another that it's priced appropriately, it's just I expected a lesser price for the type of effects it provides.

That being said, after giving it a trial, I really did enjoy it and wouldn't mind picking it up myself. But the "need"-to-cost ratio is out of balance for me, so I'll be waiting until a generous sale :) .

eusti

08 Apr 2015

Interesting, childofsaturn... I seem to remember that people commented that it was actually cheaper than some of the other versions of it out there...
But of course, the price has to fit ones needs / expectations.
D.

softska

08 Apr 2015

eusti wrote: Interesting, childofsaturn... I seem to remember that people commented that it was actually cheaper than some of the other versions of it out there...
D.
That is true, but McDSP also regularly runs 50% discount, FutzBox native is going ~$60 thru dealers at the moment, for example.

RE version isn't necessary expensive comparatively, but vs other distortion RE, the back panel is just not that much fun.

eusti

08 Apr 2015

Good to know! I wish it had more CV automation capabilities for sure!
Still really like it though...
Not sure why I'm so into certain kinds of sound mangling devices...
Some of the overdrive RE's are not really my thing...

D.

joeyluck

08 Apr 2015

eusti wrote: Interesting, childofsaturn... I seem to remember that people commented that it was actually cheaper than some of the other versions of it out there...
D.
Correct.

I hit the buy button immediately just in case it was a mistake! ;P

At the time, it was half the price of the AAX/AU.

joeyluck

08 Apr 2015

D.
softska wrote: That is true, but McDSP also regularly runs 50% discount, FutzBox native is going ~$60 thru dealers at the moment, for example.

RE version isn't necessary expensive comparatively, but vs other distortion RE, the back panel is just not that much fun.
So then that is comparing a regular price to a sale price though... ;)

Which accentuates the fact that the RE is regularly priced at almost 50% the regular price of the other formats.

I've contacted them about adding more CV and maybe even a built-in LFO. They seem open to suggestions! It already has more CV connections than the other formats ;)

So... I'm not sure the point that folks are trying to make here...

eusti

08 Apr 2015

joeyluck wrote:
I'm not sure the point that folks are trying to make here...
I guess people feel it's too expensive for what it is: A distortion / sound mangling device.
Because other distortion devices in the shop are cheaper.

I think it's a wonderful RE and I'm super happy I got it!

D.

decibel

08 Apr 2015

do McDSP ever do sales on thier RE's ? i dont think they did last black friday or during the xmas sale period ? i would potentially be interested in purchasing this (and a few of their other bits) if they did

craven

08 Apr 2015

true, I would buy it immediately when on sale - I don't really need it but would love to have it in my arsenal. Same goes for Bitspeek, btw.
:ugeek:

Tumble

08 Apr 2015

decibel wrote:do McDSP ever do sales on thier RE's ? i dont think they did last black friday or during the xmas sale period ? i would potentially be interested in purchasing this (and a few of their other bits) if they did
No, doesn't seem like it. Currently their AAX/AU/VST plugins are on sale, but the REs are not.

O1B

09 Apr 2015

joeyluck wrote:It is well worth the price of $79 (and more) for the RE. Just consider it as always on sale ;)
Nope. Full Futzbox RE price is no sale. I'll be waiting as well. I have time... Great RE, though.

Scream, Pulverisor, BeatCrush and RPDistort, and many others in the meanwhile.
Greetings from the Grand Canyon.

joeyluck

09 Apr 2015

LOL it's as if many Reason users could care less about the price and only care that it is "on sale."

People in this thread were comparing the price to the AAX/AU/VST... which the RE is about 50% that price REGULARLY.

Somehow, folks care more that a $149 plugin in another format is on sale occasionally for $75 and we have a plugin of the device that is $79 all-the-time. And folks need it to be discounted more?

This is why sometimes we can't have nice things ;P

Knowing that the regular price is $149, when I saw this hit the shop at $79 I bought it immediately. I have used it on countless gigs and designed several shows with it already. It is an amazing and very valuable sound design tool.

EnochLight

09 Apr 2015

I think McDSP do actually put their RE's on sale occasionally, they just didn't do Futzbox around the 2014 holidays because it literally just came out.  If you hold out until Black Friday 2015, you might see it go on sale though.

In the meantime, I'll be futzing away with mine.   :D
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

O1B

09 Apr 2015

Sounds like you have a problem with some RTers waiting on a sale... LOL... Sorry 'bout that agita.
but,... LOL... Let's live and let live... LOL.... Don't know from VST/AAX/AU, LOL, but I'll buy when I'm ready.

REs are worth whatever a buyer wants to pay for it - your calculations, notwithstanding.
I learned about FBox when it became an RE, and given the premium for the Comp/EQs, I'll wait.

Gee, I hope McDSP (FBox), JP (Republik), and STube (T-Tech) forgive me for waiting a bit.

Good to hear it works for you, JL.. I'm sure it'll work for me, too. In the meantime, love to BCrush.
..... Time for Eggs and Java.
joeyluck wrote:LOL it's as if many Reason users could care less about the price and only care that it is "on sale."

People in this thread were comparing the price to the AAX/AU/VST... which the RE is about 50% that price REGULARLY.

Somehow, folks care more that a $149 plugin in another format is on sale occasionally for $75 and we have a plugin of the device that is $79 all-the-time. And folks need it to be discounted more?

This is why sometimes we can't have nice things ;P

Knowing that the regular price is $149, when I saw this hit the shop at $79 I bought it immediately. I have used it on countless gigs and designed several shows with it already. It is an amazing and very valuable sound design tool.

ProfessaKaos

10 Apr 2015

This guy loves Futzbox too

Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

EnochLight

10 Apr 2015

ProfessaKaos wrote: This guy loves Futzbox too
Ugh.. I couldn't make it through 2 minutes of that "review" (LOL) before I had to skip through the end.  That's 2 minutes of my life I will never get back, and I will forever hold TeflonTomb in debt to me.   :D
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information