Thor LastKey has strange notes

List your suggestions here for the reasontalk.com website (not Reason feature requests)!
Forum rules
Keep in mind that this forum is for Reasontalk.com suggestions, and not for support on your Reason Studios software.
raccoonboy

22 Oct 2015

Hi everyone.

I'm quite new to reason so not sure if this is a bug but...

When you use LastKey or MIDIkey in Thor's modulation Matrix and output it to a CV Out. Putting this into the CV input of a device like Subtractor or to the External MIDI device has a strange effect where everything is out of key and the scales don't work properly. It's a couple of octaves higher than it should be too.

Is there are way round this?

Cheers

Raccoonboy

selig
RE Developer

22 Oct 2015

raccoonboy wrote:Hi everyone.

I'm quite new to reason so not sure if this is a bug but...

When you use LastKey or MIDIkey in Thor's modulation Matrix and output it to a CV Out. Putting this into the CV input of a device like Subtractor or to the External MIDI device has a strange effect where everything is out of key and the scales don't work properly. It's a couple of octaves higher than it should be too.

Is there are way round this?

Cheers

Raccoonboy
If you want to convert MIDI to CV, RPG-8 is excellent for this task. As for Thor, these inputs are intended for internal control rather than external. I can't remember for certain, but there may be workarounds inside of Thor for this, but again the best approach is to use RPG-8 for what you seek, assuming I'm understanding the question.

As for the octave discrepancy, this feature in Thor is not "echoing" the input but providing an offset value. If the input is 60 (I believe) the output is zero, therefore producing the low note you hear. Hope this incomplete answer is helpful!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

raccoonboy

22 Oct 2015

Thanks mate. Good to know.

Just unfortunately the routing I'm working with for some reason the Arpeggiator doesn't work. I really need a last note feature. It's a real pity it's not translatable to propper midi output :(

Cheers

Raccoonboy

selig
RE Developer

22 Oct 2015

raccoonboy wrote:Thanks mate. Good to know.

Just unfortunately the routing I'm working with for some reason the Arpeggiator doesn't work. I really need a last note feature. It's a real pity it's not translatable to propper midi output :(

Cheers

Raccoonboy
You can get it close by using an offset of 60 since the output is "0". Use a Rotary with a value of 60 and a depth of 100. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

raccoonboy

22 Oct 2015

Off to bed but I'll give it a try tomorrow. Thanks

If there is a way to make the Arpegiator not freeze on the last note that would work instead.

Basically if I have the Arp turned off and press and hold note A and then press note B whilst still holding Note A. After I let go of Note B it is frozen on, which is quite annoying.

Also if there is a pitch to CV conversion I guess I could use this as an option for my setup, would be better to use either of these than slightly wonky tuning.

Cheers for the help so far

Raccoonboy

raccoonboy

28 Oct 2015

I've figured out a better way to get the exact notes. I really think there should be a standard MIDI to CV converter. There is the RP-8 arpegiator, but when you hold down keys they freeze 'on'. So that's not great.

Use the modulation settings:
Last Note - 100 - Seq Transpose
Last Gate - 100 - Seq Trig.

Then take the output from the Seq Note which will give you the correct MIDI notes.

Sequencer must be on 'Repeat', length of '1/16 steps' and sync OFF with the rate up to 250hz.

You can then use the Seq Gate out but I opted for a seperated Gate out through the CV as the sequencer gate voltage is lower and will affect the volume of any soft synth.

• Information