Step Note Recorder

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
FATCheese

07 Apr 2015

Whoa! What just happened here?! :crazy:
Follow me on twitter! http://www.twitter.com/realfatcheese

And remember, blessed are the cheesemakers, and any manufacturers of dairy-based music !

Hell yeah E., you're a "cheesius".

bouwie

07 Apr 2015

Looks like a great RE.
But i miss the patterns (like redrum/matrix) to put my sequences in.
And no polyphony.
Im still hoping for a polyphonic sequencer with patterns.
note to track i don't need.
I need it for live preformance

Fraxis

07 Apr 2015

Definitely looks like my kind of thing. Just curious - is it possible with the current SDK for steps/rests to be added to or deleted from a sequence at a selected position? So that if a step/rest was added, everything to the right would move one step to the right? Or if a step/rest was deleted, everything to the right would move one step to the left. I like how you can turn a step into a rest, but each one then loses the note in its position rather than displaces it. I appreciate you can use the mute button to add rests during recording, but the kind of flexibility mentioned above would be a real bonus if it were possible to add.

eusti

07 Apr 2015

People asking for patterns:

Robotic Bean seems to have that one covered with the upcoming Select CV Switch:

D.

challism

07 Apr 2015

Fraxis wrote:Definitely looks like my kind of thing. Just curious - is it possible with the current SDK for steps/rests to be added to or deleted from a sequence at a selected position? So that if a step/rest was added, everything to the right would move one step to the right? Or if a step/rest was deleted, everything to the right would move one step to the left. I like how you can turn a step into a rest, but each one then loses the note in its position rather than displaces it. I appreciate you can use the mute button to add rests during recording, but the kind of flexibility mentioned above would be a real bonus if it were possible to add.
This sort of thing could be done with proper automation of the offset. Let the sequence play normally (offset at 0) until it hits the step you wish to shift.  Then just shift the offset accordingly (ie, one step to the right).  This would, of course, need to be done/recorded on Step's sequencer track.

I don't think the SDK offers the kind of thing you are asking, but I could be wrong.  I would be really surprised if it did offer it, though.  Given the severe limitations of the SDK that we all hear about.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

GRIFTY

08 Apr 2015

This seems kind of similar in concept to the korde sequencer? Or am I mistaken? I'm intrigued by both

MirEko

08 Apr 2015

eusti wrote:People asking for patterns:

Robotic Bean seems to have that one covered with the upcoming Select CV Switch:

D.
Isn't this the same thing as traffic control RE?

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/trafficcontrol/
:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

hamu

08 Apr 2015

MirEko wrote:Isn't this the same thing as traffic control RE? https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/trafficcontrol/
Almost exactly from what I can tell. Including CV select and quantize/sync option.
Maybe some detail I cannot see...

buddard
RE Developer

08 Apr 2015

MirEko wrote:Isn't this the same thing as traffic control RE? https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/trafficcontrol/
hamu wrote: Almost exactly from what I can tell. Including CV select and quantize/sync option.
The devices are indeed very similar, probably to the point that you don't want to get one if you already have the other. But there are a few key differences:
  • The buttons on Select are radio buttons, so automating them will result in a single automation lane that produces a staircase curve that can be easily edited. (You can also automate like this in TrafficControl using a Combinator, but not by using the front panel buttons.)
  • The advantage with the single automation lane is of course that the automation curve always has a value, so channel switching will be "chased" if you jump around in the song.
  • The Select CV input has a corresponding output, making it trivial to stack several instances of Select and having them change patterns in tandem.  (I don't think TrafficControl has this?)
  • Simpler user interface: You don't have to configure which method to use to control the switching: Either you use the buttons or the CV input (which will disable the buttons). This can be a pro or con depending on how you look at it.
  • Fewer quantization values (Snap), but you select them from a popup menu so it's easier to get an overview of which they are.
  • 2 more channels ;)
Also, Select will be bundled with Step for free. :)

For those that only want Select, they can buy it separately for 7.50 EUR / 9 USD.

buddard
RE Developer

08 Apr 2015

GRIFTY wrote:This seems kind of similar in concept to the korde sequencer? Or am I mistaken? I'm intrigued by both
Korde and Step are like the inverse of each other in a way. Korde is more about programming the rhythms and playing it like an arpeggiator, while Step is more about programming the pitches and finding out various ways of playing them back.

There is some overlap, of course, but I'm certainly finding that I have room for both of them in my rack!

electrofux

08 Apr 2015

hamu wrote: Almost exactly from what I can tell. Including CV select and quantize/sync option.
buddard wrote:
The devices are indeed very similar, probably to the point that you don't want to get one if you already have the other. But there are a few key differences:
  • The buttons on Select are radio buttons, so automating them will result in a single automation lane that produces a staircase curve that can be easily edited. (You can also automate like this in TrafficControl using a Combinator, but not by using the front panel buttons.)
  • The advantage with the single automation lane is of course that the automation curve always has a value, so channel switching will be "chased" if you jump around in the song.
  • The Select CV input has a corresponding output, making it trivial to stack several instances of Select and having them change patterns in tandem.  (I don't think TrafficControl has this?)
  • Simpler user interface: You don't have to configure which method to use to control the switching: Either you use the buttons or the CV input (which will disable the buttons). This can be a pro or con depending on how you look at it.
  • Fewer quantization values (Snap), but you select them from a popup menu so it's easier to get an overview of which they are.
  • 2 more channels ;)
buddard wrote:Also, Select will be bundled with Step for free. :)

For those that only want Select, they can buy it separately for 7.50 EUR / 9 USD.
Very usefull indeed. Love this device.

AJ_3000
Competition Winner

08 Apr 2015

This ( and select ) seem seem like a really useful addition  to the  Rack. Congratulations Robotic Bean. 

Snugglepuff

09 Apr 2015

This is great! I'm so excited. This is what I thought Korde was going to be. At first I was a little disappointed that Korde wasn't a step sequencer exactly, as it's more like a mega-arp, but once I got to use it I knew I couldn't live without it. Now Step fills the need that originally had. I especially like that it can lock a sequence to a scale. I haven't been able to find that anywhere. For me, Step and Korde are going to be two very essential and very complimentary devices. I'll bet Step will also play well with Ochen's CV Tuner. 

I can't wait to see this in the shop.

JoshuaPhilgarlic

09 Apr 2015

buddard wrote:Also, Select will be bundled with Step for free. :)
I like it :D !

Concep

09 Apr 2015

I have to say that I have had ZERO interest in a step sequencer.  After watching that video, I'm starting to rethink this.

nikolafeve

09 Apr 2015

Instant buy for me!!!
Reason 10 - UA Apollo Twin -  OSX 10.13.6 - MacBook Pro 15inch 2018 - 2.2Ghz Intel Core i7 - RAM 16GB 2400 Mhz DDR4 - Radeon Pro 555X 4096 MB

challism

09 Apr 2015

Last night I was working with Step.  From the same 32 step loop, I wanted to play it once through with the notes tied.  Then I wanted to play it again with the notes untied.  But Step won't allow automation for that (something I didn't think of trying or asking about in beta testing).  So what's a guy to do?  Simple!  Copy device and tracks > paste > create Select CV switch.  Now automate Select CV Switch to play Step 1, then Step 2.  Sweet!!!  This Select CV Switch is going to be so useful.  Step is a badass RE, for sure, and it is even more badass bundled with Select CV Switch.  I'm loving this RE more every day

Good work Robotic Bean!!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

EddieG

10 Apr 2015

sofa king COOL
Looks like its lots of fun
stratcatfl in the house !

balloonhead

14 Nov 2019

Page not found. Is this now a dead product? :(

MrFigg
Competition Winner

14 Nov 2019

balloonhead wrote:
14 Nov 2019
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -recorder/

Just got to know where to look man.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

balloonhead

14 Nov 2019

thanks for the link. I'll test the trial.
MrFigg wrote:
14 Nov 2019
balloonhead wrote:
14 Nov 2019
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -recorder/

Just got to know where to look man.

balloonhead

14 Nov 2019

Okay tried to test it but the first press on a button crashes the rack. :D. Well good idea but no function for me :(

buddard
RE Developer

14 Nov 2019

balloonhead wrote:
14 Nov 2019
Okay tried to test it but the first press on a button crashes the rack. :D. Well good idea but no function for me :(
Whoops, that's strange, we've sold a lot of copies of this RE, but haven't heard of this problem before... What OS and Reason version are you running it in? Which button did you press when the crash occurred?

balloonhead

14 Nov 2019

I downloaded the Trial version. Installed it. usage only in online modus is okay. Then i tapped the record button and clicked on LRN for the REST-Button and pressed a key on my Alesis Q61 MIDI-Keyboard. This broke down the rack. Could click any more in the rack and heard nothing. Close Reason and reopen reason.
buddard wrote:
14 Nov 2019
balloonhead wrote:
14 Nov 2019
Whoops, that's strange, we've sold a lot of copies of this RE, but haven't heard of this problem before... What OS and Reason version are you running it in? Which button did you press when the crash occurred?

buddard
RE Developer

14 Nov 2019

Thanks! May I ask:

- Which operating system are you running, Windows or macOS? Which version of that OS?
- Which version of Reason?

Cheers

balloonhead wrote:
14 Nov 2019
I downloaded the Trial version. Installed it. usage only in online modus is okay. Then i tapped the record button and clicked on LRN for the REST-Button and pressed a key on my Alesis Q61 MIDI-Keyboard. This broke down the rack. Could click any more in the rack and heard nothing. Close Reason and reopen reason.
buddard wrote:
14 Nov 2019

• Information