Step Note Recorder

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
buddard
RE Developer

06 Apr 2015

I'm just gonna drop this here:

More info here.

It should hit the shop very soon.  :)

siler

06 Apr 2015

I have always wished Reason had step record functionality like every other midi sequencer I've ever used.  Great job identifying the need and looks like a cool product.  Looking forward to trying!

rcbuse
RE Developer

06 Apr 2015

niiice..

challism

06 Apr 2015

I've been waiting for this one to drop!  This is a fantastic sequencer.  I think you guys are gonna love it!!  Thanks to Niklas and the Robotic Team for doing such a good job on this RE.  You guys also need to check out Euclid, if you haven't already purchased it... you are missing out!  Step and Euclid work really well together.  Robotic Bean kicks ass.

https://shop.propellerheads.se/redirect ... cbean.Step
https://shop.propellerheads.se/redirect ... ean.Euclid
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

eusti

06 Apr 2015

Nice idea!!! Looking forward to check this out!

D.

Faastwalker

06 Apr 2015

I've been beta testing this. It's a stroke of genius & as insanely fun as Euclid is. It's definitely one of those, 'I can't think why someone didn't think of this before', RE's. A great idea that like Euclid has been executed perfectly. Just look at that GUI. Robotic Bean certainly has a knack for making inspired RE's that seem to be just what the doctor ordered & are stacks of fun to use.   

Puckboy2000

06 Apr 2015

Looks awesome. I can't wait!
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than than that" - George Carlin

eusti

06 Apr 2015

Faastwalker wrote: I've been beta testing this. It's a stroke of genius & as insanely fun as Euclid is. It's definitely one of those, 'I can't think why someone didn't think of this before', RE's. A great idea that like Euclid has been executed perfectly. Just look at that GUI. Robotic Bean certainly has a knack for making inspired RE's that seem to be just what the doctor ordered & are stacks of fun to use.   
So funny! I had forgotten that RB made Euclid as well...
And thought... "I kind of know the feel of this one already!" ;)

D.

challism

06 Apr 2015

Euclid and Step work great together.  One thing I love doing is setting Euclid as the trigger in for Step.  That way, you can use Euclid's fantastic rhythms to trigger the notes of Step. 
Another cool feature of Step is the width knob.  You can adjust the length of the notes with this knob.  Automate it, hook it up to an LFO via CV input on the back... whatever you chose, but it's a great way to humanize the sound and add diversity to your notes (so not all the notes sound for the exact same amount of time).

And of course the shuffle feature is great too.  It has a similar shuffle to that of Euclid, where it keeps some of the notes on beat and shuffles the rest.  You can really generate some cool sounding timings using the shuffle variations.

Anyway, I have immensely enjoyed alpha/beta testing Step and I think you guys will also enjoy it.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

eusti

06 Apr 2015

Thanks for the pointers, challism! Will definitely check it out!

D.

childofsaturn

07 Apr 2015

Really excited about this! Has the price been settled on yet?

pjeudy

07 Apr 2015

buddard wrote:I'm just gonna drop this here:

More info here.

It should hit the shop very soon.  :)
YO !!! This is Dope man Really cool..and very useful..... Getting ready to Kiss The Matrix GOODBYE  :t2018:
Will get this solely based on your video Demo Great job !!! I actually was hoping you did a longer session just playing with this, real exited !!

Specifications
  • 32-note step sequencer with MIDI step time recording
  • Full editing of all data is supported
  • Playback Directions:   Forward,   Reverse,   Alternate,   Pendulum,   Random,   Brownian,   Reorder
  • Offset :   ±16 steps
  • Resolution:   1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/8T, 1/16, 1/16T, 1/32, 1/64, 1/128
  • Shuffle:   25 – 75%
  • Shuffle Mode:   1/4, 1/8, 1/16
  • Gate Width:   0 – 100%
  • Velocity:   0 – 100%
  • Back and Rest buttons (while recording)
  • Supported Scales:   Chromatic,   Minor (Natural),   Major,   Dominant 7,   Blues Major,   Blues Minor,   Diminished,   Harmonic Minor,   Major Pentatonic,   Minor Pentatonic,   Dorian,   Phrygian,   Lydian,   Locrian
  • Control Inputs:   Clock, Reset, Mute and Transpose (all with Thru outputs)
  • Modulation Inputs:   Offset, Resolution, Shuffle, Gate Width, Velocity
  • Outputs:   Gate, CV, Reset
  • External Signal Processor (ESP) to tune external CV signals
  • All front panel controls except the Record button can be RemoteTM controlled
  • Everything except individual step properties and the Record button can be automated
Step Note Recorder and ABL3 ...JESUS !!!!!!  :love:
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

JoshuaPhilgarlic

07 Apr 2015

Faastwalker wrote:It's definitely one of those, 'I can't think why someone didn't think of this before', RE's.
LOL, that was exactly my first thought :D !

dvdrtldg

07 Apr 2015

Awww hells yeah

JoshuaPhilgarlic

07 Apr 2015

Just had a look at the User Guide... Damn, this thing is awesome :t0305: !!!

Emian

07 Apr 2015

i also enjoyed beta testing this one,its  as user-friendly as Euclid ! i should try out that combo, Challism, thx for the tip ! :)

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

submonsterz

07 Apr 2015

Everything except individual step properties and the Record button can be automated

I would had thought this would be a pretty essential feature TO have for this type of device ...... ????

Kategra

07 Apr 2015

How can you get it to groove with just shuffle? Most of these midi sequencers are useless to me without the ability to apply ReGrove to them.
No ReGrove, no Note To Track for RE's... Reason blows on this chapter.

Marco Raaphorst

07 Apr 2015

it looks like it can do modal modulations based on the key you're in. would be fantastic. we can do charlie parker runs :D

buddard
RE Developer

07 Apr 2015

Thanks for all the responses so far, I'm glad that most of you seem to be as excited as we are! :)

There will be more in-depth videos once Step is released and we've been able to get some rest!

buddard
RE Developer

07 Apr 2015

submonsterz wrote:Everything except individual step properties and the Record button can be automated I would had thought this would be a pretty essential feature TO have for this type of device ...... ????
Just to clarify, everything except the Record button is Remotable, so you can do most of the programming from a (properly configured) hardware controller. We would have liked to support Remote control for the Record button as well, but it's currently not possible.

As for automation, it's hardly any secret that automation in Reason is tied to MIDI CC's, which are limited to 127 of which many are already reserved. Looking at just the individual step properties, there are four per step (pitch, velocity, rest, tie) times 32, so that's 128 just for those...

So I thought it would be better to leave this open for at least the first release, because once you use up a MIDI CC number you can't take it back (for backwards compatibility).

But I promise you that there are tons of cool stuff you can do with Step as it is now. The Mute input, just to choose one example, is really powerful since it lets other devices control the mutes via CV. (Euclid will be getting this in the next update as well.)

buddard
RE Developer

07 Apr 2015

Kategra wrote:How can you get it to groove with just shuffle? Most of these midi sequencers are useless to me without the ability to apply ReGrove to them.
No ReGrove, no Note To Track for RE's... Reason blows on this chapter.
Actually you can apply ReGroove, although the process is a little involved... You have to set up an RPG-8 (or similar) as a MIDI-to-CV converter, and connect its Gate output to Step's Clock input. Then you can just record a part with straight notes on the RPG-8's track. So the rhythmical information will be taken from the sequencer part (which can be processed by ReGroove), and the tonal information comes from Step.

Note to Track is a bit overrated in my opinion, at least the way it works today. It doesn't work like a "bounce" in that the device can process automation and CV while rendering to the sequencer track -- I'ts only static pattern information that's written to the track. (For instance look at the fact that neither Redrum nor Matrix support automation of Resolution.) For devices like Euclid, Step and Korde, much of the point will be lost because they are not "static" in nature.

I think it would be way more useful to have something similar to the EMI, but with a direct connection to a MIDI track. It could work like when you're bouncing channels, but would result in a MIDI clip rather than an audio clip.

Just my two cents, of course.

submonsterz

07 Apr 2015

submonsterz wrote:Everything except individual step properties and the Record button can be automated I would had thought this would be a pretty essential feature TO have for this type of device ...... ????
buddard wrote:
Just to clarify, everything except the Record button is Remotable, so you can do most of the programming from a (properly configured) hardware controller. We would have liked to support Remote control for the Record button as well, but it's currently not possible.

As for automation, it's hardly any secret that automation in Reason is tied to MIDI CC's, which are limited to 127 of which many are already reserved. Looking at 
buddard wrote:just
buddard wrote: the individual step properties, there are four per step (pitch, velocity, rest, tie) times 32, so that's 128 just for those...

So I thought it would be better to leave this open for at least the first release, because once you use up a MIDI CC number you can't take it back (for backwards compatibility).

But I promise you that there are tons of cool stuff you can do with Step as it is now. The Mute input, just to choose one example, is really powerful since it lets other devices control the mutes via CV. (Euclid will be getting this in the next update as well.)
Maybe ya not including what could be with limited ccs left to choose from best idea on release and get wider feedback from a much larger and wider selection of users than just beta testers not a bad idea . As you can get the feedback on what most find more needed or beneficial For thier use. The record feature sounds a bummer one to add to the lack of pattern to track features . But I'd all ready given up on the pattern to track function all ready I'm thinking props won't like the integration to the core code for it to happen. But can only hope. I find this more of an interesting and useful to me device in concept than euclid I have others ways of getting that as I said before on props old forums.
It would however be a different story if the pattern to notes had been present for said device then total different story there it would had been something I'd had thought was for me ;) .
I'm not trying to knock ya devices or you as a dev my gripe is at props sdk and why they chose to release one this late on with such limited features attached to it . To me they came a little bit late in the game to not have thought of features devs really should have had access to from first and at most second version release. Hope that clears up my comments and gripes for you and others here.

tiker01

07 Apr 2015

submonsterz wrote:
ACE

Just wanted to use it yesterday. I know, the power of wishful thinking :D

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

hamu

07 Apr 2015

Fascinating device!

An addtional output for the current step would be useful. It doesn't have to be one socket per step, but can be implemented as a level between 0.0V and 1.0V on one socket. This could then be used to vary or trigger additional stuff, either with the CV level itself, or by letting the signal select values via other RE's or combinator CV inputs. Just a thought... :)

• Information