Somebody explain me why sample loading is so important?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Alkua

05 Oct 2015

I have seen this phrase "sample loading" like a 1000 times in this forum, but I do not know why people want it so bad.

pjeudy

05 Oct 2015

Last edited by pjeudy on 05 Oct 2015, edited 2 times in total.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

lowpryo

05 Oct 2015

take an awesome device like Malstrom. there are so many possibilities achieved by manipulating the index, shift and motion knobs. BUT, for oscillators, you are only limited to using the specific wavetables that come with the device. imagine if you could load your own sounds into Malstrom, and modify them and stretch them and distort them with the same tools? the possibilities extend to infinity. now imagine if developers were able to design their own devices that could import sounds, and incorporate other features that could manipulate them (additive, FM, etc). the possibilities extend to infinity SQUARED

Alkua

05 Oct 2015

@pjeudy Ok, thanks.

It is the same concept of Izotope Iris.

pjeudy

05 Oct 2015

Alkua wrote:@pjeudy Ok, thanks.

Basically it would allow developer to create devices that let's YOU use your own sounds,samples...or samples found on the net or where ever else...sample loading is responsible for this:
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST

ScuzzyEye

05 Oct 2015

Alkua wrote:It is the same concept of Izotope Iris.
It's the same concept as the NN19, NN-XT, and Kong. Sample loading is a pretty basic function that enables a lot of options for users.

pjeudy

05 Oct 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote:
It's the same concept as the NN19, NN-XT, and Kong. Sample loading is a pretty basic function that enables a lot of options for users.
to add to that... same concept...but not found in any RE's, And it's a basic function that has eluded the 3 year old RE format :-(

Creativemind

06 Oct 2015

Alkua wrote:@pjeudy Ok, thanks.

That Iris is amazing. Just You Tubed it. Imagine being able to do stuff like in this clip:-

:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

06 Oct 2015

You could easily adapt the Malstrom as well do load samples, but would these be different than what Malstrom uses, as they are Graintables?

It would indeed be awesome though, if it had that ability. If not, the first new Reason stock device since Re's, something that allowed you to record samples to be used within Malstrom in a further folder of your own files, or to access files in Malstrom which were previously recorded using the NN-XT perhaps?

Exowildebeest

06 Oct 2015

Creativemind wrote:You could easily adapt the Malstrom as well do load samples, but would these be different than what Malstrom uses, as they are Graintables?
No, and yes.

I think people have to get that "Malstrom sample loading" out of their heads - Malstrom does not use samples and wasn't designed to do so. Adding that functionality would require a massive rework and rethinking of the entire device.

Any Malstrom-like device that does load samples should be a new device.

Exowildebeest

06 Oct 2015

pjeudy wrote:
ScuzzyEye wrote:
to add to that... same concept...but not found in any RE's, And it's a basic function that has eluded the 3 year old RE format :-(
One of the probable reasons it eluded the RE format is that they wanted to rework the browser and file management first. For sample loading, RE's need to save file locations to their patches/include samples in the song file, and RE's need to be able to call on the browser and additionally, the internal sample editor (which still needs some updating as well, as it is regarded as too basic currently, and will certainly get more use as sample loading is introduced).

I'm quite convinced they're working on sample loading, as the RV7000 MKII was the first stock device since the introduction of RE's that loads samples. They touched that code, they perfected the new browser, and there's simply no way they can ignore the potential boost to the RE format that sample loading would be.

The only bump in the road that I think there could still be, is the fact that even SDK2 displays are fairly limited both visually and functionally (e.g. no rightclick or selection). That could be a bit problematic for devices that rely heavily on visually displayed editing and/or parameter manipulation of samples - but less so for simple sample loading devices like drummachines. They might start testing the waters with functionality for the latter, the former advanced stuff coming later with new display SDK functionality.

Ostermilk

06 Oct 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:
pjeudy wrote:
ScuzzyEye wrote:
One of the probable reasons it eluded the RE format is that they wanted to rework the browser and file management first. For sample loading, RE's need to save file locations to their patches/include samples in the song file, and RE's need to be able to call on the browser and additionally, the internal sample editor (which still needs some updating as well, as it is regarded as too basic currently, and will certainly get more use as sample loading is introduced).

I'm quite convinced they're working on sample loading, as the RV7000 MKII was the first stock device since the introduction of RE's that loads samples. They touched that code, they perfected the new browser, and there's simply no way they can ignore the potential boost to the RE format that sample loading would be.

The only bump in the road that I think there could still be, is the fact that even SDK2 displays are fairly limited both visually and functionally (e.g. no rightclick or selection). That could be a bit problematic for devices that rely heavily on visually displayed editing and/or parameter manipulation of samples - but less so for simple sample loading devices like drummachines. They might start testing the waters with functionality for the latter, the former advanced stuff coming later with new display SDK functionality.
This post has been marked as far too sensible!

pjeudy

06 Oct 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:
pjeudy wrote:
ScuzzyEye wrote:

I'm absolutely certain that the RV7k is testing the waters and is a precursor to sample loading , that's obvious. Just like I mentioned in an old thread I started back on PUF regarding the echo being a proof of concept for the Rack extension format.

I also understand and agree 100% regarding first things first like browser etc.... but my eagerness and the anticipation of possible devices that might appear makes every updates seem like a life time .."TO ME"
I use samples and the NNXT religiously....so I'm big on samples.

Olivier

07 Oct 2015

pjeudy wrote: I'm absolutely certain that the RV7k is testing the waters and is a precursor to sample loading , that's obvious. Just like I mentioned in an old thread I started back on PUF regarding the echo being a proof of concept for the Rack extension format.

I also understand and agree 100% regarding first things first like browser etc.... but my eagerness and the anticipation of possible devices that might appear makes every updates seem like a life time .."TO ME"
I'm not entirely sure it is. As far as I can tell the rv7k is not a Re. I don't know wether the same sort of code that does this in stock devices is used/usable in RE's. When one of the next point updates introduces a renewed sample editor, then I might be tempted to interpret it as such, but for now I'm skeptical that this is a sign. I have no doubt that at some point it will come though:)
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

pjeudy

07 Oct 2015

eauhm wrote:
pjeudy wrote: I'm absolutely certain that the RV7k is testing the waters and is a precursor to sample loading , that's obvious. Just like I mentioned in an old thread I started back on PUF regarding the echo being a proof of concept for the Rack extension format.

I'm not entirely sure it is. As far as I can tell the rv7k is not a Re. I don't know wether the same sort of code that does this in stock devices is used/usable in RE's. When one of the next point updates introduces a renewed sample editor, then I might be tempted to interpret it as such, but for now I'm skeptical that this is a sign. I have no doubt that at some point it will come though:)
The Echo delay unit that's native to REASON was built to demonstrate the viability of Rack Extension, that was said from Propellerhead themselves. None of us had any idea that the Echo was actually an RE that's was then built into reason.

moving forward there are NO device being made from Props that will not actually be an RE, again they said so themselves...no other way to interpret the new RV7K with its new feature!

Olivier

07 Oct 2015

pjeudy wrote:
eauhm wrote:

The Echo delay unit that's native to REASON was built to demonstrate the viability of Rack Extension, that was said from Propellerhead themselves. None of us had any idea that the Echo was actually an RE that's was then built into reason.

moving forward there are NO device being made from Props that will not actually be an RE, again they said so themselves...no other way to interpret the new RV7K with its new feature!
Hmmm... That does make sense...

Creativemind

10 Oct 2015

No more new devices. They will just make new devices and make them available as a Rack Extension now, that's what it looks like anyway. Nothing stopping them making more MkII's though hehe!

Olivier

10 Oct 2015

Creativemind wrote:No more new devices. They will just make new devices and make them available as a Rack Extension now, that's what it looks like anyway. Nothing stopping them making more MkII's though hehe!
I'd be happy if they only occasionally make new devices but instead develop the platform more. Give us sample loading, add new creative workflows to Reason (blocks don't work for me) ... etc etc.

pjeudy

08 Nov 2015

Alkua wrote:I have seen this phrase "sample loading" like a 1000 times in this forum, but I do not know why people want it so bad.

THIS ...!

SPECIAL BONUS For some Reason users...! Epic Ableton crash in video, Enjoy :angel: (BETA)

challism

10 Nov 2015

What do you guys think of this? I posted this as a topic about a week ago, but it was completely ignored. I think this is an interesting process.

Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

tiker01

10 Nov 2015

eauhm wrote:
pjeudy wrote:
eauhm wrote:

Hmmm... That does make sense...

I can't remember where but this RV7k MKII is an Re came up and PH said that is not an Re. Therefore, its sample loading has nothing to do with any potential work the capability of Res to load samples.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

• Information