Tutorial: Beautiful Pluck Synth!

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
avensa

04 Apr 2015

I'm addicted to making tutorials! Here is my latest one, making a pluck/lead synth. Let me know what you think!

Watch it here;
https://youtu.be/7l1SAJOUYoY

Hope this tutorial helps.

selig
RE Developer

04 Apr 2015

One request - PLEASE make these in higher resolution - in full screen I can hardly read ANYTHING!!!

Also, this time around the Line mixer does NOTHING the way you're using it (in your other tutorials it's just adding gain). I'm not sure what you think this is doing (you don't explain the "WHY" here), but the end result is 100% exactly the same as if there was no Line Mixer at all. As always, hope I'm not coming off as a dick here, just trying to help you help others.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

ProfessaKaos

05 Apr 2015

selig wrote:One request - PLEASE make these in higher resolution - in full screen I can hardly read ANYTHING!!!

That's weird I can see all text quite clearly even when not full screen, seems fine to me. Video must of still been processing when you viewed it.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

avensa

05 Apr 2015

One request - PLEASE make these in higher resolution - in full screen I can hardly read ANYTHING!!!

Also, this time around the Line mixer does NOTHING the way you're using it (in your other tutorials it's just adding gain). I'm not sure what you think this is doing (you don't explain the "WHY" here), but the end result is 100% exactly the same as if there was no Line Mixer at all. As always, hope I'm not coming off as a dick here, just trying to help you help others.
Must be on your end. I can see everything perfectly (Try the amazing HD option). It was also recorded with Bandicam, pretty much the best screen recording software out there for windows.

This synth can be used for any genre, but I'm an EDM producer. I am adding volume to make that synth that little bit louder, simply because EDM in general is loud. (I tend to have dynamic range in my tracks) So essentially, I'm making tutorials for EDM producers, as my strength's is multiple genre's within EDM.

Hydrosonic

05 Apr 2015

Works fine here in 1080p HD,  just turn up the video resolution Selig.

Anyways, thanks for the tutorials Avensa, I will watch it later :)

selig
RE Developer

05 Apr 2015

avensa wrote:
Must be on your end. I can see everything perfectly (Try the amazing HD option). It was also recorded with Bandicam, pretty much the best screen recording software out there for windows.

This synth can be used for any genre, but I'm an EDM producer. I am adding volume to make that synth that little bit louder, simply because EDM in general is loud. (I tend to have dynamic range in my tracks) So essentially, I'm making tutorials for EDM producers, as my strength's is multiple genre's within EDM.
Sorry, for some reason 360p was the highest rate available when I first tried to switch to HD. Now there are more options - not sure what I missed (this isn't my first rodeo!). 

I'm sorry I confused you about the levels. We are talking past each other here - I'm saying there is NO level increase with your Line Mixer in this case. If you think this is increasing level, it's not, and if your intention is to have hot levels for your patches for some reason (bucking conventional wisdom), you have not achieved that here.

Allow me to repeat:
You are taking the DDL-1 output, and using two channels in the Line mixer, one panned right and one panned left. The result is the EXACT same thing as if the line mixer wasn't there. If you want to make your patch louder (at the risk of clipping the mix), you'll definitely need to turn up the level. But you didn't do that anywhere, so you obviously aren't wanting it louder in this case, right.

I'm having difficulty explaining things to you here, and I'm sure it's my fault. But you don't seem to be open to what I'm saying, but I'll keep trying because there are things in your tutorials that are overly complicated and not doing what you think they're doing (or not doing anything at all)!!!

Again, I'm trying to help you help others - just please for one moment consider what I'm saying!
Selig Audio, LLC

kloeckno

05 Apr 2015

Giles, I think he might be using the old "trick" of using the line mixer with two hard-panned mono signals to get a slight boost in volume. If I remember correctly, it has something to do with Reason's strange pan laws. I used to do it until I realized it was just making the sound a little bit louder!

Sinistereo

05 Apr 2015

None of this explains the purpose of the DDL-1, which is only adding 19ms of latency to the signal. Both channels are delayed by the same amount...

selig
RE Developer

06 Apr 2015

kloeckno wrote:Giles, I think he might be using the old "trick" of using the line mixer with two hard-panned mono signals to get a slight boost in volume. If I remember correctly, it has something to do with Reason's strange pan laws. I used to do it until I realized it was just making the sound a little bit louder!
Maybe - except for he turns the levels down...
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

06 Apr 2015

Sinistereo wrote:None of this explains the purpose of the DDL-1, which is only adding 19ms of latency to the signal. Both channels are delayed by the same amount...
Good catch, I totally missed that the first time around - he probably forgot to adjust the dry/wet control there. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

avensa

07 Apr 2015

For very obvious reasons... If you produce EDM, you'd know why this is.

avensa

07 Apr 2015

None of this explains the purpose of the DDL-1, which is only adding 19ms of latency to the signal. Both channels are delayed by the same amount...
Sorry about not explaining what this was about, will update it in the video description.

avensa

07 Apr 2015

Good catch, I totally missed that the first time around - he probably forgot to adjust the dry/wet control there. :)
Hmmmm....
https://youtu.be/AmAxMgw0jzo?t=3m2s

Oh would you look at that, made by Propellerheads themselves.

Also, would be nice if you referred to me as 'she'.

submonsterz

07 Apr 2015

avensa wrote:
Hmmmm....
avensa wrote:
avensa wrote:

I did try making it clear elsewhere you was a SHE but must be overlooked or just ignored here mostly. I often use a 14.2 or a line in the mix channel and I feel I hear a difference from them even if it's just because they are there . I don't know what it is why or if it's just in my head but taking it out on patches I make it seems to sound much different
wether it be a volume increase or just it sounds panned differently I don't know but it just does. But I normally like to add the different delays to each side and I normally also like to.pull the pans inwards slightly off set to each other then repan it more to centre at the ssl desk side after the fact to even the effect if it sounds to wildly panning one side more than the other .

avensa

07 Apr 2015

I did try making it clear elsewhere you was a SHE but must be overlooked or just ignored here mostly. I often use a 14.2 or a line in the mix channel and I feel I hear a difference from them even if it's just because they are there . I don't know what it is why or if it's just in my head but taking it out on patches I make it seems to sound much different
wether it be a volume increase or just it sounds panned differently I don't know but it just does. But I normally like to add the different delays to each side and I normally also like to.pull the pans inwards slightly off set to each other then repan it more to centre at the ssl desk side after the fact to even the effect if it sounds to wildly panning one side more than the other .
It must be the change in velocity on some notes on the melody. Also, I said that you should mess around with the filter if you want to get the more plucky sound. Will explain the velocity change in the description. Sorry about that! :)

Sinistereo

07 Apr 2015

avensa wrote:
Hmmmm....

Mattias' video is an excellent example! In your video, the way that you connect and use the DDL-1 and the Line Mixer makes both of them effectively useless - neither contributes anything at all to your signal or sound, and neither are used the way that Mattias demonstrated.

I have two questions for you: what do you think hard-panning identical signals left and right is doing for you, and what did you want the DDL-1 delay line to do for your sound? Your tutorials don't make this at all clear.

If I was completely unfamiliar with sound design or Reason, I'd have a hard time understanding the concepts you are trying to convey. Glossing over important details because you think they are "obvious" makes your videos less accessible.

avensa

07 Apr 2015

Mattias' video is an excellent example! In your video, the way that you connect and use the DDL-1 and the Line Mixer makes both of them effectively useless - neither contributes anything at all to your signal or sound, and neither are used the way that Mattias demonstrated.

I have two questions for you: what do you think hard-panning identical signals left and right is doing for you, and what did you want the DDL-1 delay line to do for your sound? Your tutorials don't make this at all clear.

If I was completely unfamiliar with sound design or Reason, I'd have a hard time understanding the concepts you are trying to convey. Glossing over important details because you think they are "obvious" makes your videos less accessible.
I know Mattias' example is excellent. I have been taught by some videos professionals have put up on Youtube. I was TOLD that splitting & panning would make my synth stereo. I even saw this in Music Tech magazine, and did it as they said. When I bypass the DDL-1, I can hear a huge difference, so how can it be so useless? How do YOU make your synths stereo? What on Earth am I doing wrong? Lucky Date uses it the way I did, so why not slam him like you and Selig are slamming me? Not to be a batch or anything, I idolize that dude. I also got the splitting & panning tip from Dennis Pedersen (and Music Tech Mag). You guys are talking as if I came up with these ideas and is telling people like I'm uneducated. Well, I'm most certainly not. Like the rest of you, I'm TOLD most of it from Magazines, Tutorials on YouTube, examining some refill's PROFESSIONALS have made etc...

Well, I'm terribly sorry if this video was a SOUND DESIGNING tutorial and not MIXING tutorial. I updated the description about the DDL-1. There's an 'obvious' reason to why I didn't explain the purpose of it, and that was to not make the video drag on, without a voice over.  I guess it's mostly for advanced producers (Not saying that I am, but I'm not a complete noob altogether..)

selig
RE Developer

07 Apr 2015

avensa wrote:
For very obvious reasons... If you produce EDM, you'd know why this is.
I will continue to suggest that if you want to produce helpful videos, you shouldn't speak to folks as if they already know what you know. ;)

Earlier you said EDM producers needs louder synths, and that's why you're adding volume in the video. Here you are asserting the it should be obvious to any EDM producer why you're turning levels down. Color me confused! :)
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

07 Apr 2015

avensa wrote:
Hmmmm....
avensa wrote:
avensa wrote:

Sincere apologies for the "he" that should have been a "she" (this is where a voice over on your tutorials would have helped)!

This is a good example of an effective tutorial, thanks for posting. Love the way he is using the DDL one at 3:02 - you should definitely consider changing your video to include this effect.   :)
Selig Audio, LLC

avensa

07 Apr 2015

Earlier you said EDM producers needs louder synths, and that's why you're adding volume in the video. Here you are asserting the it should be obvious to any EDM producer why you're turning levels down. Color me confused!
To the point where they don't clip. They're louder, but NOT clipping.

selig
RE Developer

07 Apr 2015

Earlier you said EDM producers needs louder synths, and that's why you're adding volume in the video. Here you are asserting the it should be obvious to any EDM producer why you're turning levels down. Color me confused!
avensa wrote:
To the point where they don't clip. They're louder, but NOT clipping.
I asked why you contradicted yourself, not about clipping.
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

07 Apr 2015

avensa wrote:
Hmmmm....

Sinistereo wrote:
Mattias' video is an
Sinistereo wrote:excellent
Sinistereo wrote: example! In your video, the way that you connect and use the DDL-1 and the Line Mixer makes both of them effectively useless - neither contributes anything at all to your signal or sound, and neither are used the way that Mattias demonstrated.

+1 on all this. 

Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

07 Apr 2015

avensa wrote:
I know Mattias' example is
avensa wrote:excellent
avensa wrote:. I have been taught by some videos professionals have put up on Youtube. I was TOLD that splitting & panning would make my synth stereo. I even saw this in Music Tech magazine, and did it as they said. When I bypass the DDL-1, I can hear a huge difference, so how can it be so useless? How do YOU make your synths stereo? What on Earth am I doing wrong? Lucky Date uses it the way I did, so why not slam him like you and Selig are slamming me? Not to be a batch or anything, I idolize that dude. I also got the splitting & panning tip from Dennis Pedersen (and Music Tech Mag). You guys are talking as if I came up with these ideas and is telling people like I'm uneducated. Well, I'm most certainly not. Like the rest of you, I'm TOLD most of it from Magazines, Tutorials on YouTube, examining some refill's PROFESSIONALS have made etc...

Well, I'm terribly sorry if this video was a SOUND DESIGNING tutorial and not MIXING tutorial. I updated the description about the DDL-1. There's an 'obvious' reason to why I didn't explain the purpose of it, and that was to not make the video drag on, without a voice over.  I guess it's mostly for advanced producers (Not saying that I am, but I'm not a complete noob altogether..)
You have nothing to get defensive about here, just PLEASE listen to what we are saying to try to help you! You asked "what am I doing wrong", and all I can say is that we are trying to tell you - but you don't seem to be listening. IMO, it would be a shame if you left with these errors in your tutorials , but that's up to you. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

Joerg

07 Apr 2015

Hey Avensa,
thanks for your video, even if it triggered a little dispute.
I don't know, if you meanwhile found the 'mistake' in your video against Mattias' version. He only fed one channel through the DLL1 and left the 2nd channel untouched. Then it makes sense to hard pan the original and the processed signal because they contain different sound information.
In your tutorial, you routed both channels to the delay, so there is same signal as before but just delayed. Then the hard panning actually doesn't make sense.
Mixing in some dry signal, as Selig proposed wouldn't make the (Haas) effect, that you probably intended. Sinistereo gave a hint but didn't offer the solution.
I agree with you, that the threads conversation was not very constructive because the basic falsity wasn't clarified initially. It sounds rather schoolmasterly to me.
Seligs discussion of mixer setting is basically correct but leads in subsequence to the failed Haas effect into the wrong direction.

avensa

07 Apr 2015

You have nothing to get defensive about here, just PLEASE listen to what we are saying to try to help you! You asked "what am I doing wrong", and all I can say is that we are trying to tell you - but you don't seem to be listening. IMO, it would be a shame if you left with these errors in your tutorials , but that's up to you
I am listening, and I appreciate you helping me, but what I'm saying is that I learned these tricks from other people (DDL-1 from Lucky Date & Mattias, splitting & panning from Dennis Pedersen etc..). The way you're saying it is making it sound like I came up with all of this stuff. I'll ask again, How do you make your synths stereo? What exactly am I doing wrong? Everything you see in my tutorials is what I've learned from professionals over the years, so give me a reason to why you wouldn't think I'd use them?

• Information