Voyetra 8 refill?

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
Purpleb

04 Apr 2015

Is there any refills or samples out there featuring the Voyetra 8 synthesizer?
I looked around and can not find anything.
Thanks.

bpmorton

04 Apr 2015

Just a thought

The V8 is just a two osc analog. Thor should be all you need to emulate patches from it...as Thor can mimic my Moog to the point where you would not be able to tell the difference between the two.

Brian

Benedict
Competition Winner

04 Apr 2015

I had a Slim Phatty and it didn't last along against Thor. Same with the Basstation II.

Trick is to get the synth (or YouTube) you want to emulate and then open Thor and keep finessing the patch till they get so close you would never tell in a mix. Bit hard the first time or two (esp if you aren't and experienced synthesist which is where having the two side by side helps as you can copy settings) but it does get far easier and you learn a lot and open up new ground on Thor.

UPDATE: just watching this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHJbUShzbXg

It sure sounds great, but I do suspect the Lexicon reverb/s are coloring the sound and adding a lot of vibe. A lot of what I hear is using PWM. Trick with Thor is to Mod by Key so you don't get a scary sound in the bass.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

eXode

05 Apr 2015

Each oscillator on the Voyetra 8 offers Saw, Square with adjustable PW, Triangle, and a SUB OCT waveform. All these waveforms are available simultaneously. Plus noise next to that.

This means that you couldn't even use all 3 oscillator slots on Thor to mimic one full oscillator of the Voyetra 8. Also the filter in the Voyetra 8 was based on the SSM2040 (not to be confused with SSM2044 found in Korg Polysix and Monopoly) which has it's own sound compared to the filter offerings in Thor.

While Thor is great for a lot of things, I wouldn't say that it could give you a good approximation of a Voyetra 8 due to the differences pointed out above (for one).

marcuswitt

06 Apr 2015

eXode, I do highly respect your point of view as an experienced and skillful sound designer that you are, but in this particular case I got to object. Although I'ver never owned or used a V8, I speculate that you can emulate a V8 very well by using a stack of Thors within a single Combinator so that nobody can't tell the difference between both synthesizers when you put them in a mix. And if Thor can't do the job for you then Antidote or Predator can, perhaps. ;)

Just to give you a hint, watch this video and tell me that you knew without reading the video's description which synthesizer that is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPC0eiM_Kp8

I think that Patrick Fridh, a.k.a. Bitley, did a fantastic job on emulating a 'vintage' analog monster by using a stack of 'humble' Subtractors. And if you can do such a job by using Subtractor then you can do it also by using Thor, despite the different basic sound of their filters compared to the original 'role models'. So far my personal opinion.

bpmorton

06 Apr 2015

here is the V8 manual

I love the hand-drawn pics!

http://www.wohmart.com/v8/v8_user.pdf

bpmorton

06 Apr 2015

I think a stack of Thors in a combinator would be best as the Re's might be a bit much on cpu. Two Thors should be all you need to create one voice will all functions in use unless there is more I've missed. Maybe 4 Thors for left and right sounds each VCO.

Brian

eusti

06 Apr 2015

bpmorton wrote:I think a stack of Thors in a combinator would be best as the Re's might be a bit much on cpu. Two Thors should be all you need to create one voice will all functions in use unless there is more I've missed.

Brian
I think what eXode was trying to say is, that while it might be easy to achieve the functionality the components aren't really modeled with Thor, so it will sound different... If it's close enough, especially in a mix, that's up to you.

I personally am not a big fan of Thor's filter... Not that it hasn't been used to great effect by good sound designers, it just doesn't grab me when programming Thor... To me it just sounds dull when less than 75% open.

D.

eXode

06 Apr 2015

marcuswitt wrote:eXode, I do highly respect your point of view as an experienced and skillful sound designer that you are, but in this particular case I got to object. Although I'ver never owned or used a V8, I speculate that you can emulate a V8 very well by using a stack of Thors within a single Combinator so that nobody can't tell the difference between both synthesizers when you put them in a mix. And if Thor can't do the job for you then Antidote or Predator can, perhaps. ;)
Not really.

I already explained the oscillator issue. You can't just use X amount of full oscillators to emulate that feature as each osc in the V8 produces all those waveforms. It means that the waveforms will always be in phase with each other, but still free running. It's not possible to do that with any of the available Reason synths atm (RE or not). Then there's linear FM, so even if you try to compensate for the waveforms with several Thor's you'll not be able to use FM on a per voice basis.

Finally, there's the filter. The SSM2040 is possibly the best low pass filter ever in my humble opinion, it's quite different from the Moog Ladder (don't know exactly how to describe it) and I don't think that Thor comes close at all (nor any RE for that matter). I used to have clones of both the Moog ladder and the SSM2040 filter in my modular setup.

Regarding the Village Ghetto Strings. I actually don't think it's that close to the original. Yes, it captures some of the feel, but imho the filter is quite far off. The Subtractor is darker and more boomy, while the original is much lighter and has more air. The GX1 also has a very special resonance imho. This is not critique of Patrick's work, his work is brilliant, but it shows that there are indeed some noticeable differences.

Benedict
Competition Winner

06 Apr 2015

eXode has tossed a fly in the ointment for sure, based on the OSC architecture alone, as having those shapes all at once is hard to emulate properly in Thor (or any RE I know).

You can stack similar OSC shapes in NN-XT (PWM is harder) but the filter is not as good overall. That also leaves you with the problem of whether V8 OSC all start at the same phase or are free running?

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

eXode

07 Apr 2015

Benedict wrote:That also leaves you with the problem of whether V8 OSC all start at the same phase or are free running?

The four waveforms of each VCO are phase locked together since they're derived from the same core, however the oscillator itself is free running. There's no way to properly emulate this atm afaik. :/

FiatLux

07 Apr 2015

Benedict wrote:That also leaves you with the problem of whether V8 OSC all start at the same phase or are free running?

eXode wrote:
The four waveforms of each VCO are phase locked together since they're derived from the same core, however the oscillator itself is free running. There's no way to properly emulate this atm afaik. :/
Why couldnt this be done with one of the larger Ammos.

eXode

07 Apr 2015

eXode wrote:
FiatLux wrote: Why couldnt this be done with one of the larger Ammos.
For the same reasons already stated, more or less.

eusti

07 Apr 2015

We might actually get that feature in the upcoming Red Rock synth... I just asked them about it on their FB page...

Curious: Did you consider different waveforms in each osc being used at the same time?

Red Rock SoundIt was not originally intended, but you've given me an interesting idea. Thank You! :)

So, maybe there will be a way soon... ;)

D.

FiatLux

07 Apr 2015

eXode wrote:
eXode wrote:
I thought Ammo the 4 oscillators in Ammo were phase locked. Am I wrong about this?

eXode

07 Apr 2015

eXode wrote:
eXode wrote:
FiatLux wrote:
I thought Ammo the 4 oscillators in Ammo were phase locked. Am I wrong about this?
We've already discussed the phase lock. Re read the posts already made on the matter. :)

eXode

07 Apr 2015

eusti wrote:We might actually get that feature in the upcoming Red Rock synth... I just asked them about it on their FB page...

Curious: Did you consider different waveforms in each osc being used at the same time?

Red Rock SoundIt was not originally intended, but you've given me an interesting idea. Thank You! :)

So, maybe there will be a way soon... ;)

D.
That is great to hear. I'm really curious about that red synth. They were aiming for a mid May release, no?

eusti

07 Apr 2015

eXode wrote:That is great to hear. I'm really curious about that red synth. They were aiming for a mid May release, no?
I think the "70th anniversary of the great victory" they were aiming for is on May 9th.
Quite curious myself here!

D.

bitley

23 Apr 2015

Thanks for the mention! The GX1 itself sounded pretty raw and not anywhere near as fat as expected. My approximation there was made with inspiration from the Stevie Wonder track.

marcuswitt

23 Apr 2015

bitley™ wrote:Thanks for the mention! The GX1 itself sounded pretty raw and not anywhere near as fat as expected. My approximation there was made with inspiration from the Stevie Wonder track.
You're welcome, Bitley. :) BTW: Where can that impressive patch be found that you've programmed to emulate the 'village ghetto' strings?

bitley

26 Apr 2015

It was released as a refill for PowerFX called The Dream Machine. It appears they're not selling refills anymore.  :?

• Information