iPad Pro

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
joeyluck

10 Sep 2015

http://www.apple.com/ipad-pro/

Was really hoping the iPad Pro would be running Mac OS X.

Maybe the next one? Maybe they are working on merging Mac OS X with iOS in the future?

What's the point of saying it is "faster than 80% of portable PC's" if it can't run professional apps?
And what is meant by "portable PC's"? They must mean tablets, right? I can't imagine it is faster than 80% of laptops...
But I guess there are enough crap laptops out there...

Maybe with this more powerful iPad, Propellerhead might develop something that will take advantage of it's power?

What are your thoughts?

Exowildebeest

10 Sep 2015

Since they're now including more and more keyboards and pens (stylus I think they're called, I've always found that a strange word), it seems it's only a matter of time before they figure out that a mouse is a more muscle-energy efficient input method. Once that happens, and people let go of the - technologically marvelous but impractical - touchscreen paradigm, we'll see Reason on what in the future will be called a "lappad". (You heard it here first. I will now patent that word).

Exowildebeest

10 Sep 2015

Or a laplet. Or lablet. Or padtop.

I'm claiming those too.

joeyluck

10 Sep 2015

Ha ha!
I like the idea of having Reason on an iPad. While it wouldn't be the most efficient way to work with Reason full-time, it will be very convenient when working in the field. Whether I'm designing sound for theatre, recording and editing a voiceover, or collaborating music on-the-go. The less moving parts the better. I currently borrow an iPad when mixing sound in the house for shows (controlling various digital sound boards). It's brilliant. But then I also have my MacBook Pro floating around the theatre so I can create and change things on the spot when a director requests.

I think Microsoft and others got it right with products like the Surface. I'd enjoy having something like an iPad running full-fledged apps that I could connect other peripherals on an as-needed basis, or have a separate desktop at home to transfer my Reason files to and from.
I've considered a Surface, but then I'm still using an iPad for controlling sound boards...

selig
RE Developer

10 Sep 2015

joeyluck wrote:http://www.apple.com/ipad-pro/

Maybe the next one? Maybe they are working on merging Mac OS X with iOS in the future?

What's the point of saying it is "faster than 80% of portable PC's" if it can't run professional apps?
And what is meant by "portable PC's"? They must mean tablets, right? I can't imagine it is faster than 80% of laptops...

Maybe with this more powerful iPad, Propellerhead might develop something that will take advantage of it's power?

What are your thoughts?
I have heard absolutely zero rumors about the IOS line running OSX, so I'm not sure this is something to realistically hope for any time soon! I would guess it far more likely for OSX to one day run IOS apps, but there too I've heard zero rumors on this front.

"Pads" in general are good at running other devices, as you mention in your second post, and that is the current state of the art I'm afraid.

We can't even get laptops to run as powerfully as desktops, so I don't expect any Pad device to match the power of it's larger siblings any time soon - as technology marches forward ALL devices become more powerful, keeping the desktops at the top of the heap for the foreseeable future, with laptops below them and pads/phones below them.

I doubt we will be seeing 8 core i7 power in a pad form factor in the near future. Size really does matter when it comes to CPU power… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

raymondh

10 Sep 2015

selig wrote: I doubt we will be seeing 8 core i7 power in a pad form factor in the near future. Size really does matter when it comes to CPU power… ;)
Yep, also voltage.

joeyluck

10 Sep 2015

selig wrote:
joeyluck wrote:http://www.apple.com/ipad-pro/

What are your thoughts?
I have heard absolutely zero rumors about the IOS line running OSX, so I'm not sure this is something to realistically hope for any time soon! I would guess it far more likely for OSX to one day run IOS apps, but there too I've heard zero rumors on this front.

"Pads" in general are good at running other devices, as you mention in your second post, and that is the current state of the art I'm afraid.

We can't even get laptops to run as powerfully as desktops, so I don't expect any Pad device to match the power of it's larger siblings any time soon - as technology marches forward ALL devices become more powerful, keeping the desktops at the top of the heap for the foreseeable future, with laptops below them and pads/phones below them.

I doubt we will be seeing 8 core i7 power in a pad form factor in the near future. Size really does matter when it comes to CPU power… ;)
It was actually the folks at MacRumors who were guessing it might run Mac OS X... But they were just guessing based on the rumored name.

I suppose CPU power is relative. And as long as developers keep developing for the most robust system, and the software continues to grow with the most robust systems...I suppose you are right.

I remember running Reason and Digital Performer on my 450 MHz Power Mac G4 Cube up until 2007!
The iPads are certainly more powerful than that. But we are in a loop where software progresses with the latest hardware...

Apple did give a spiel about how well the iPad Pro can edit video. And that's more demanding than audio...
I've told folks before that I wouldn't mind an iPad the same thickness and weight as a closed MacBook Air. But too many people turn their nose up at that idea lol. And I understand.

If I can run an equivalent of Reason 8 on an iPad five years or so down the road (even when the desktop version is much more powerful and capable) I would be pretty happy.

Maybe what I should realistically be hoping for is a Propellerhead equivalent of something like Cubasis for iOS (rather than iPads running Mac OS X).

CharlyCharlzz

12 Sep 2015

it is not really going to be a windows 10 surface pro type of product , since they got so much apps on there i-stuff and descent CPU Power maybe one of these days you will be able to but in some kind of sandbox app or something .

but you can always instal (mac Os x) on a surface Pro hahaha :D
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

Marco Raaphorst

12 Sep 2015

I am using laptops for years. My current MacBook Pro is cool but starts to make serious fannoise when rendering video. The iPad Pro is without a fan, so that's cool.

I am curious what will happen in the future. I already notice that some mobile apps runs more efficiently than on OSX. For example Soundcloud which simply eats recourses when on a browser but runs super smoothly as app.

EnochLight

12 Sep 2015

I think the iPad Pro is damn sexy, and I would totally consider replacing my aging first-gen iPad Retina with one... if it wasn't for the fact that I'd have to drop almost $1000 USD just on a configuration that makes sense (the 32 GB version is laughable) and it weighs freak'n MORE than the first iPad from 2010. I mean, I get that it's larger but... seriously, when I hold my wife's 1st gen iPad and compare it to my 1st iPad Retina (which is what, the iPad 3 technically?) it feels like a goddamn lead weight.

And of course, I'd be buying a piece of Apple tech that we all know very well will run noticeably slower as iOS gets updated (seriously, iOS 8 on my iPad Retina has made it almost unbearable to use).

I'm glad Apple is finally releasing a Surface Pro competitor, but the cost, weight, and expected lifespan make it a hard sell for me at almost $1000 USD for the 128 GB version.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Marco Raaphorst

12 Sep 2015

I expect Ableton to make a iOS version of Live. Cubase has already entered that zone. Logic might be super easy for Apple to port to iOS since it's based on Garageband.

I am expecting the laptop to disappear slowly within 5 years time.

EnochLight

12 Sep 2015

Marco Raaphorst wrote:I am expecting the laptop to disappear slowly within 5 years time.
My iPhone calendar is set for September 2020. Don't go anywhere. :D
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Yonatan

13 Sep 2015

Iphone 6s plus is looking nice but the weak point still is their so called inbuilt speakers. You have to use headphones or external speakers. But what is to expect from such a slim product. I have to upgrade soon. Iphone 6s plus vs Sony z5 vs Samsung s6? Video and sound is nr. 1.
Looked at the Figure app in an Apple store, and wow how nice that was. Have not tried Take yet, but I am leaning towards the iOS9 just because apple still has more of the quality apps available on its platform. Can one use a Remote control for Reason within an Iphone 6s plus?
Or do one have to have at least an Ipad Mini for such apps?

Ipad Pro feels as typical first release that they start off with at a lower level than to be really amazing. They want to be able to upgrade in the springtime making enough changes to get media people to upgrade.

The Ipad Mini 4 stats with A8 chip. Otherwise it would sell better than Ipad Pro and with iphones newest camera it would make iphone plus weaker.
I had hoped for Ipad Mini to go more pro, as that is the perfect size for mobile media production with video and sound.
The other pads are too chunky and the phones are too small.

normen

13 Sep 2015

joeyluck wrote:Apple did give a spiel about how well the iPad Pro can edit video. And that's more demanding than audio...
Except an iPad has a special processor for video processing called a "GPU" and no special processor for audio DSP processing :) (Except for noise canceling)

EnochLight

13 Sep 2015

Yonatan wrote:Iphone 6s plus is looking nice but the weak point still is their so called inbuilt speakers. You have to use headphones or external speakers. But what is to expect from such a slim product. I have to upgrade soon. Iphone 6s plus vs Sony z5 vs Samsung s6? Video and sound is nr. 1.
I've had the iPhone 6 Plus since release and can attest that the single speaker gets pretty damn loud. Sure, you need headphones (or Bluetooth speaker, etc) for a stereo experience, but it gets the job done just fine. I would imagine the new 6S Plus will be no different.

The real selling point is the OS. If you want to utilize the apps available on iOS (including Propellerhead support), then the iPhone 6S Plus is your phone. If you prefer Android and whatever apps are available, then the Sony or Samsung would be a better choice.

CharlyCharlzz

13 Sep 2015

I can see a lot of professionals using it for shure , ideal for various peoples .
but since it is huge you can forget it for garrage tech , flight use and various things like that IMO .
So conclusion : there will be a mini version of this next year !
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

freeQlow

13 Sep 2015

Never owned an Ipad.
Will the 1st Gen Mini with 16GB be good enough for Propeller heads apps?

Can get one really cheap, may try it. Need some feedback please, thank you.

Marco Raaphorst

14 Sep 2015

EnochLight wrote:
Marco Raaphorst wrote:I am expecting the laptop to disappear slowly within 5 years time.
Do that :)

I can predict things :P See: http://melodiefabriek.com/blog/guessing ... eads-plan/

joeyluck

14 Sep 2015

Can someone clarify something for me?

When they make all these comparisons to 'portable PCs' in regards to performance, do they really mean to say 'tablets'?

chimp_spanner

14 Sep 2015

freeQlow wrote:Never owned an Ipad.
Will the 1st Gen Mini with 16GB be good enough for Propeller heads apps?

Can get one really cheap, may try it. Need some feedback please, thank you.
I have a first gen iPad Mini, running Korg Gadget, Cubasis, Caustic, Nanostudio and the Reason apps. Mostly it's okay, although Cubasis runs out of CPU way too fast. And Audiobus routing just tips it over the edge. Figure runs with no problem though as it's a very simple app.

TBH, I would recommend you go for something like the Mini Retina (exact same specs as the Mini 3 minus the fingerprint sensor) as that basically has 5S guts in it and is more than twice the power of the original Mini. If money were no object, I'd go Air 2. But I reckon Mini Retina would give me enough breathing room for a while.

freeQlow

14 Sep 2015

I'm essentially getting it for free.

Wonder if my Android Caustic would run on Ipad.

Thanks for heads up

chimp_spanner

14 Sep 2015

Oh I mean if it's free, it's a no-brainer man. You *will* be able to make music on it, no doubt. I've managed to do some pretty cool stuff, and it's more than capable of running standalone FX processors and sound generators like Animoog, Borderlands, etc.

Caustic runs like s**t through a goose. Don't know how they managed to make it so efficient but I've never run out of processing power!

EnochLight

14 Sep 2015

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
EnochLight wrote:
Do that :)

I can predict things :P See: http://melodiefabriek.com/blog/guessing ... eads-plan/
;)

freeQlow

14 Sep 2015

chimp_spanner wrote:Oh I mean if it's free, it's a no-brainer man. You *will* be able to make music on it, no doubt. I've managed to do some pretty cool stuff, and it's more than capable of running standalone FX processors and sound generators like Animoog, Borderlands, etc.

Caustic runs like s**t through a goose. Don't know how they managed to make it so efficient but I've never run out of processing power!
Thanks again for the feedback!

Do you know. ....

Does the mini "DOCK" with all the mixer and interface products out from Mackie, Personus etc?
I have a little research to do being a new IPad user.

No worries if you don't know....

chimp_spanner

14 Sep 2015

Well I know for a fact that the Focusrite iTrack Dock has a sliding lightning connector to allow for both small and large iPads. Some docks (i.e. Alesis) appear to only work with full size. For standalone interfaces like the iTrack Solo there's no reason it shouldn't work! I recently picked up the Apple Camera Connection Kit to use my MIDI keyboard with it and it works perfectly. So long as the device is class-compliant, it should work fine whether you're on a Mini or a full size :)

Hope this helps man, good luck!

• Information