Alchemy Returns in Logic 10.2 - Free Update

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?

Heater

25 Aug 2015

It's a pretty significant update to Logic which now includes Alchemy.

It's pretty good value for $199 for the Apple DAW.

normen

25 Aug 2015

"pretty good" is the understatement of the century ^^ Its a totally insane price since it was added to the app store - even without _all_ of its synths. Apple can only do this because you have to buy a Mac to use it. And even if you do its still great value - the money you save on PC hardware is easily eaten up by the cost for such a software package.

am0eba

25 Aug 2015

So I already own Logic Pro X 10.1, so the new version is *FREE* to me, except that I'm still running under OSX 10.8.5, which means I will have to upgrade (admittedly for "free") to Yosemite, but my understanding is that the new OS has audio problems, and slows things down…

Can somebody offer some reassurance that if I make the upgrade to Yosemite, things will be okay? I'm running a high-spec Mac Mini from 2012 with a quad core i7 running at 2.6 GHz and 16 GB of RAM…

Am I being apprehensive without cause, or should I avoid Yosemite?

Thanks for any input!

_Dave_

PS: Didn't mean to hijack the topic… I'm asking because Alchemy is awesome, and if I can get it for free, I want to!
Last edited by am0eba on 25 Aug 2015, edited 1 time in total.
:reason: :re: :refill: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :record: :rt:
"F" the ineffable! 
My music is available on iTunes, Amazon, Youtube, Spotify and CDBaby - more info:
http://2little2late.org/am0eba/

Theo.M

25 Aug 2015

3000 presets, 14.5 gb content, and logic and all those other amazing things all for less than alchemy's retail price alone (was $249 when not on sale). Amazing - speechless I am! And happy!

Theo.M

25 Aug 2015

am0eba wrote:So I already own Logic Pro X 10.1, so the new version is *FREE* to me, except that I'm still running under OSX 10.8.5, which means I will have to upgrade (admittedly for "free") to Yosemite, but my understanding is that the new OS has audio problems, and slows things down…

Can somebody offer some reassurance that if I make the upgrade to Yosemite, things will be okay? I'm running a high-spec Mac Mini from 2012 with a quad core i7 running at 2.6 GHz and 16 GB of RAM…

Am I being apprehensive without cause, or should I avoid Yosemite?

Thanks for any input!

_Dave_
Logic runs just fine on yosemite - i can not vouch for other daw's.

El capitan is out soon and wait a couple point updates and that will be the one to have. Focusing on performance boosts.

Theo.M

25 Aug 2015

normen wrote:"pretty good" is the understatement of the century ^^ Its a totally insane price since it was added to the app store - even without _all_ of its synths. Apple can only do this because you have to buy a Mac to use it. And even if you do its still great value - the money you save on PC hardware is easily eaten up by the cost for such a software package.

This is actually very true... Logic feels like a $3k package to me.. it's so thorough.. and now it has alchemy complete included which was $749 lol.

For those wanting absolutely *everything*, you still need kontakt, a better EQ, and if desired, a tape/sat/channel plugin. That's really it. You can spend say $500 on extra plugs, and for $700 total have the most comprehensive package possibly available. Rewire reason to it for a different flavour (just the reason standard package IMO - $399 or less at resellers), to have killer electronic drum sequencers and a few classic synths - that don't take any cpu therefore are ideally suited to the one core for all rewire paradigm, and you have a totally awesome in sync mega daw - with logic's PDC over the rewire channels when using latent AU effects. It all ties together really well.

am0eba

25 Aug 2015

Theo.M wrote:

El capitan is out soon and wait a couple point updates and that will be the one to have. Focusing on performance boosts.
It's Reason I'm most worried about… <GRIN!>

But thanks for the input!

_Dave_
"F" the ineffable! 
My music is available on iTunes, Amazon, Youtube, Spotify and CDBaby - more info:

Theo.M

25 Aug 2015

am0eba wrote:
Theo.M wrote:

_Dave_
for me, reason did get around a 10% drop in yosemite. crackles and pops earlier basically.

but i believe el capitan will fix that.

Note : This has nothing to actually do with reason at all, as mavericks is just a slightly better performing low latency audio OS than yosemite. The reason cubase and logic are OK is because they use the "cheat' hybrid engines and the plug in counts are so high it's very hard to notice a difference, PLUS, logic is specifically updated for the new OSes to run smoothly, even if it still works on one previous generation.

Heater

26 Aug 2015

am0eba wrote:
Theo.M wrote:

_Dave_
I'm running Yosemite on my 2009 macbook pro without issue.

gak

26 Aug 2015

I just think it's funny that after the supertrolly-ific thread at kvr over this that it ends up being apple after all.

Theo.M

26 Aug 2015

gak wrote:I just think it's funny that after the supertrolly-ific thread at kvr over this that it ends up being apple after all.

to those who did some research on CA and apple history it was pretty obvious to us from day one of disappearance.. but kvr loves a good nonsense and fight topic LOL.

What had happened was that CA and apple had been in talks a year or so prior already but they failed to come to an amicable agreement. It is pretty obvius Ben in that case wanted to sell (imo).

When they "disappeared" overnight but their webpage gave clear instructions for 6 months continued download and technical support, i knew then it was apple as did quite a few of us talking about it in PM's. It was the first thing that made sense, or steinberg or Cakewalk.

Highest bets were on apple though.

if steinberg did it at least both mac and win still would have had access to latest versions, but it would have been stuck to cubase. From what i have heard from some sources, logic userbase is higher than mac and pc cubase combined. I believe there are literally million(s) of logic users.

Thank goodness it wasn't cakewalk.. they just buy stuff out and keep it the same for ever and ever and never fix bugs, they just use it to sell sonar.

I still can't believe i reported bugs in the sonitus suite 11 years back, the owner of sonitus fx told me you need to contact cakewalk now as they have taken over, i told them, they confirmed and said "nice little bugaboo find", and never fixed it. They still even use VST SKD 1.0! It's nuts.

At least apple buy and develop. Logic is clearly it's greatest it has ever been under apple - logic 5.5.1 on windows was indeed emagic's final hoorah masterpiece (and i used it exclusively till 2005 when suddenly i needed more than 1gb addressable ram (logic could not work with over 1GB installed) and multi cores were on the horizon). I then went to Cubase windows till 2008, then Logic 8 on apple. Logic 9.1.8 was the real masterpiece of Apple's logic version, and 10 is still going through some teething but it's pretty solid now. Alchemy is a very welcome addition imo :)

tumar

27 Aug 2015

This is first time I consider buying Logic. It costs as much as Studio One 3 upgrade. As I read, Logic includes now whole package: Alchemy and all soundbanks.

Theo.M

28 Aug 2015

tumar wrote:This is first time I consider buying Logic. It costs as much as Studio One 3 upgrade. As I read, Logic includes now whole package: Alchemy and all soundbanks.

the sounds have all been tweaked and have different names so don't expect it to be exactly how they were before. I think overall they are improved though, great care has been taken in the tweaks.

also don't forget that each of the 3,000 sounds has 8 variations which are often so different they are like an entirely new preset.. really there are like 20,000+ ready to go sounds. it's huge.

miscend

28 Aug 2015

Hopefully Apple will integrate Redmatica Autosampler And Keymap Pro next.

So people how does Alchemy compare to Reasons new synths such as Zero, Vecto and Oberon? Alchemy is quite old isn't it.

tumar

28 Aug 2015

miscend wrote:Hopefully Apple will integrate Redmatica Autosampler And Keymap Pro next.
Redmatica is integrated into MainStage, for whole 30 USD ;)

"In 2012, Apple bought Italian sample management software Redmatica, maker of sample management tools, leaving fans of the tools wondering if they would return.

Now, CDM reports that Redmatica’s AutoSampler has returned – as a MainStage plug-in, Auto Sampler. I

It’s part of Apple’s MainStage 3.1, which is tool designed to let you use Mac virtual instruments in live performance. The app has been used by Nine Inch Nails to power their live show. "

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2015/ ... mainstage/

am0eba

28 Aug 2015

Okay, Yosemite seems to be playing nice with Reason on my 2012 Mac Mini Quadcore i7...

One thing that I didn't do and regret is not deauthorizing Reason on my computer before upgrading the OS! Now Reason thinks it's new hardware, so it won't authorize without internet or the dang dongle!

REMINDER to anyone updating their OS: De-authorize Reason first!

I have an email in to support to see if they can undo the mess, but I'm frustrated that I couldn't remember this issue before updating...

_Dave_
"F" the ineffable! 

am0eba

28 Aug 2015

Oh yeah, Alchemy installs as part of the Logic Pro X upgrade, but you also need to download the library separately... I was getting frustrated trying to change the sounds in Alchemy until I realized the library was empty!

Downloading now, along with World music and some other optional components... FIOS 25/25 and it says about two hours!

_Dave_
"F" the ineffable! 

moneykube

29 Aug 2015

Heater wrote:It's a pretty significant update to Logic which now includes Alchemy.

it is now $299…. but still good value for the $
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

tumar

29 Aug 2015

moneykube wrote:
Heater wrote:It's a pretty significant update to Logic which now includes Alchemy.

it is now $299…. but still good value for the $
How so? It shows 199.99 $ in the Apple shop.
Attachments
Zrzut ekranu 2015-08-29 o 13.42.25.png
Zrzut ekranu 2015-08-29 o 13.42.25.png (118.94 KiB) Viewed 2617 times

moneykube

29 Aug 2015

weird… for me it shows 299… whoops 229… must be the falling Canadian dollar
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-08-29 at 11.09.57 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-08-29 at 11.09.57 AM.png (186.11 KiB) Viewed 2611 times
Screen Shot 2015-08-29 at 11.06.30 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-08-29 at 11.06.30 AM.png (49.23 KiB) Viewed 2611 times
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

am0eba

01 Sep 2015

Just wanted to mention: After upgrading"my Mac OS to Yosemite, I just last night heard my first crackles with my normal Reason V8.3 setup on a track I've been working on for a while... Definitely did not have any such crackles previously, running OSX10.8.5... Crackles went away when I stopped moving the mouse during playback, but seriously...

On topic: Logic Pro X interface still kills my productivity. Know and love Reason!

_Dave_
"F" the ineffable! 

miscend

02 Sep 2015

tumar wrote:
miscend wrote:Hopefully Apple will integrate Redmatica Autosampler And Keymap Pro next.
Redmatica is integrated into MainStage, for whole 30 USD ;)

"In 2012, Apple bought Italian sample management software Redmatica, maker of sample management tools, leaving fans of the tools wondering if they would return.

Now, CDM reports that Redmatica’s AutoSampler has returned – as a MainStage plug-in, Auto Sampler. I

It’s part of Apple’s MainStage 3.1, which is tool designed to let you use Mac virtual instruments in live performance. The app has been used by Nine Inch Nails to power their live show. "

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2015/ ... mainstage/
I just tried it. It's fantastic. But it's missing some features such as the ability to convert to other formats like nnxt.

And what happened to Keymap Pro functionality such as the ability to edit samples and patches.

Yonatan

02 Sep 2015

Yes, I regret leaving Maverics to Yosemite, I experienced less power for my projects. And it is hard going back on a Mac. Seems they only want us to buy their new MacBooks, fooling us we need an upgrade. I think that is BS. Must be business strategy making each OS heavier and heavier. We are getting so damn fooled.

• Information