Reason 5. Sustain pedal

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
yeojv

22 Aug 2015

Hello! Can anybody help me setting of sustain pedal. Im using samson graphite 49. And korg sustain pedal. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpmorton

22 Aug 2015

you might have to reverse the wiring on the pedal to make it work with the controller. Unless the controller or pedal have a polarity reversal switch

yeojv

22 Aug 2015

Ok! I will try to reverse or look for reversed pedal. Ty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpmorton

23 Aug 2015

Just to be clear. Some pedals have the circuit "open" and the circuit is closed when you step on the pedal. Other pedals have the circuit closed and it is opened when you step on the pedal. My sustain pedal uses a standard mono 1/4" jack. if I needed to reverse the Polarity I would just reverse the wires on the jack. Un-solder the wires and solder them back on to opposite terminals.

ScuzzyEye

23 Aug 2015

Reversing the polarity of an open switch doesn't change it to a closed switch.

Though there are some two-pole switches, where one side is open and the other side is closed. Then when you change the switch to the opposite position, the poles reverse. Those can be modified by moving one wire to the other pole.

am0eba

23 Aug 2015

I did a quick web search to see if Korg typically has a "polarity" switch on their sustain pedals, but couldn't get good info.

So, some suggestions:

Investigate the pedal to see if there is an obvious switch. If so, try flipping it to the other position.

If you can't find a switch, or if you did and flipping it didn't do any good:
a) with your keyboard controller powered up, try holding the pedal down as you plug it into your keyboard controller;
b) with the keyboard controller powered up and the pedal plugged into it, try holding down the pedal as you unplug it from the keyboard controller, then release the pedal and plug it back in.
C) If your keyboard controller has a programmable setup, look in the manual or online for info about the sustain pedal input or if none, about the footswitch input.
d) if none of these work, go to Amazon and pick up an M-Audio SP-2 pedal for $20US. It has switchable "polarity" and is advertised to work with all keyboards…

Good luck!

_Dave_

PS: good point about it not really being "polarity" that is switched, but rather the mode of operation (Sustain when switch is closed vs. sustain when switch is open…), so I have put polarity in quotes above…
:reason: :re: :refill: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :record: :rt:
"F" the ineffable! 
My music is available on iTunes, Amazon, Youtube, Spotify and CDBaby - more info:
http://2little2late.org/am0eba/

• Information