(Pop - Covers)

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Aggie

18 Aug 2015

A few instrumental covers I've worked on in the last few months... I'd appreciate any constructive feedback, please;

In the Air Tonight (Collins) v1:
In the Air Tonight (Collins) v2 (Instrumental):
Fading Lights (Genesis) (Instrumental):
Being Boiled (Human League) (Instrumental):
I Gotta Feelin' (Instrumental) (BEP):

Thanks!
Last edited by Aggie on 05 Dec 2015, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Gill | BandLab

Benedict
Competition Winner

18 Aug 2015

Hi

The 1st Lucky Phil cover starts seeming a bit wrong then one the vocal comes in it makes more sense. This would be such a hard song to attack as it is so iconic as well as covering several genres. It makes almost any decision you could make the wrong one. I worry that the famous drums are one of those and it would have been better to find another way; or at least to have used a drum that seemed less "real".

Instrumental covers are really hard (as I found out from my cover of Alan Parsons "Eye In The Sky") as they carry a weight of expectation and using an instrument in the vocal line immediately brings feeling of elevator muzak. I think with "Being Boiled" that there is so little going on a new set of semi-Jazz improvs and melodies could lift it.

Not knowing the other songs well makes it easier to accept them as I hear them. All tracks show a delicacy of purpose and mix which is nice.

Well done for completing these.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Aggie

19 Aug 2015

Thank you Benedict,

I did think about the drum solo on Version 1 of In The Air Tonight, quite a bit. In the end, I thought: "...what would Phil do...?" lol

And you are spot on with Being Boiled - I should have marked it "a work in progress" - it simply does not have the over-riding vocal/instrumental track and relies on the bass line to drive it along. In the end, I guess it does sound repetitive and more "Being Boring" than "Being Boiled"!

Thanks again for the insights - gives me something to work with.
Aggie
Adam Gill | BandLab

Benedict
Competition Winner

19 Aug 2015

LOL
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Aggie

22 Aug 2015

So, I layered over some strings - not sure, but it seems to be a bit better.... but, as you say, almost every decision seems to be the wrong one...

Adam Gill | BandLab

• Information