(got my sassypants on) The Return of the Chord Organ

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Marketblandings

17 Jan 2015

In it's latest news release, Propellerhead Software AB has tried to soothe the furor caused by the sudden closing of it's User's Forum on their official website. According to an English-speaking spokesman, the sudden closing is recognized by the Swedish company as being a "bit of a surprise".
In an official release, the company apologizes to the long-standing Forum community regretting any discomfort they may have caused regular users. "We felt a need to move ahead quickly with the closing of this valuable asset and admit it may have badly startled many a forum user - which concerned us a bit considering the average age of the Forum demographic".
"But"' it went on to say, "that very demographic is what makes this closing vital to the long term success of the Propellerhead brand." Another company spokesman elaborated: "it's a New, Now-a-go-go generation that is contemplating their first Propellerhead software purchase. A generation that, unlike the now-passing Forum generation, lives at home with mum and dad and can afford what we will be offering in the future.
What will those future offerings be? Propellerhead began it's response by pointing out what it sees as a "sea change" in the way younger customers want to consume music itself. "Young people don't want to build layers of meticulously crafted, ever-shifting and surprising soundscapes that draw you in and possibly change your life. They want music to be a game!..... on their phones."
But how does this relate to the immediate closing of the Propellerhead Forums?
Didn't hundreds of Forum users expend countless hours developing thousands of new instruments, devices and work-arounds for the classic Propellerhead software known as Reason?
"Oh yes, they often seemed to know our software better than our own developers."
And didn't these devoted Reason users then train any and all new-comers at any hour of the day or night for decades on end?
"Yes. They sorted a thousand different issues for everyone. And many of their developments will live on in the final couple of versions of Reason."
So, why would a company want to instantly cut-off that much added-value for customers? Value that the company never had to pay anyone to receive?
A look of impatience and incredulity was the initial response to our question. Followed by this: "Such muss! Such fuss! Today's young people don't _want_ racks and racks of beautifully crafted gear, real or virtual. They don't need a forum of advice and instruction on how to use it. None of that is necessary to hit start on a beatbox, add a little synth sound that goes 'wee-woo wee-woo' and record a high school girl singing about a lack of self-esteem."
Is that the future of music and Propellerhead itself?
"Don't sell the new generation short. Just the other day I heard a song come through our new online sharing service that had kind of a guitar sound going 'bing bing bing bing'."
Finally, we asked the Propellerhead representative if they understood why the regulars who frequented the now defunct Propellerhead Forums might be a bit upset that decades of advice, creativity, problem-solving, camaraderie and education that they provided to the company for free is now being trashed?
"I would simply ask them to try and understand. Most of them are old enough to remember a day when making music was more _fun_. Think of the enjoyment a previous generation to theirs garnered by sitting down to the old Lowrey organ, starting the beat-box and playing the Love Theme from Dr. Zhivago with just one finger! Today's young people want that kind of music fun again. Heck, they already have the hats to go with it!"

Lunesis

17 Jan 2015

I'm guessing this is satire?  :t2018:

eusti

17 Jan 2015

Wow, is this for real? Not a satire article???

If so, it might be time to stop investing in this software... I mean, it's their choice to do what ever they want to do with their company... Sad though that it looks that they are not interested anymore in stuff that got them where they are... :frown:

D.

Marketblandings

17 Jan 2015

eusti wrote:Wow, is this for real? Not a satire article???

If so, it might be time to stop investing in this software... I mean, it's their choice to do what ever they want to do with their company... Sad though that it looks that they are not interested anymore in stuff that got them where they are... :frown:

D.
Meant for fun...... (Hope it is).

eusti

17 Jan 2015

Definitely is! Reminds me of a post of a German satire publication telling people that a certain demonstration was cancelled with great quotes and faked news sites... Very believable! ;)

D.

offaxisdaddy

17 Jan 2015

Brilliant! Still trying to pry my jaw from the floor.  :t2018:

wilson75

17 Jan 2015

Thanks, Marketblandings!

I'm gonna listen to some Bach or Radiohead on YouTube after reading this.... Or maybe it's better to upload a massive 2 bar drumloop to Discover? Ok, Radiohead... :)

Marketblandings

17 Jan 2015

wilson75 wrote:Thanks, Marketblandings!

I'm gonna listen to some Bach or Radiohead on YouTube after reading this.... Or maybe it's better to upload a massive 2 bar drumloop to Discover? Ok, Radiohead... :)
Always Radiohead

tt_lab

17 Jan 2015

The guitar part got me laughing out loud! BING BING BING BING! Jajaja!

Wook

17 Jan 2015

I like to talk (can't sing) about lack of self-esteem. It makes me seem all sensible and shit.

• Information