"Get groove from clip" and odd time signatures

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
gak

30 Jun 2015

True or false, reason's groove extract doesn't understand odd time signatures? Or is there a trick (I've never tried to get a groove from an odd time sig rex before :frown: ) 

Benedict
Competition Winner

30 Jun 2015

I've not really done this but I would assume you would need to have the Seq showing the correct (matching) Time Signature e.g. 12/8 before you run the extract groove function or it will try to jam it into 4/4.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

gak

30 Jun 2015

Good call, but I already did that :D  

LSS, I bought the new "Aaron Comess" loop loft thing because the grooves just sound delish (and they are) but there is the "3/4" stuff (which I didn't expect) and it doesn't really match up. Then it dawned on me, I've never tried it so I don't really know if it's me or reason. Google found nothing for what I was feeding it.

Gaja

30 Jun 2015

I do use odd signatures occasionally. Never tried to extract grooves there, but I can tell you that Reason's click doesn't understand odd time signatures. Not that 3/4 is particularly odd... But I wouldn't be too surprised if there were difficulties extracting odd meter grooves, since mist music today is actually in 4/4...
Cheers!
Fredhoven

gak

28 Jul 2015

I can't edit the title to solved but this looks to be.

And you'll NEVER guess who's to blame :evil: :mrgreen:

Theo.M

28 Jul 2015

you? But tell us what was wrong as that's good info for us if we run into problems also.

gak

28 Jul 2015

It's embarrassing, but I'm still learning.

First, do the anti-dumbass thing and don't have the clip you are getting the groove from be 3 bars in 3/4 :lol: That's gonna be a problem. Second, after figuring that out, make sure the clip you are getting the groove from is properly stretched so that when you extract, reason has a way of remembering exactly what you want.

As far as the click mentioned before, I'll play around with it here in a few after a cup o' joe. I'm not a really big time/sig guy.

• Information