parallax, very interesting new parsec refill, new thor also

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
Theo.M

23 Jul 2015

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/parallax/

Don't listen to the soundcloud demo as an overall judge as for some reason there is only one demo there and it's pure industrial and from the vid this refill is much more than that.

I watched the whole vid, and i find some very inspiring sounds in there.... was also quite impressed by some of the basses. Who knew parsec could sound so phat and punchy in the nethers.

The uninspiring part to me was the drum section. Still to this day I never understand why people provide a huge drum section in a refill for a synth like parsec.. I will never use it, who would? Why wouldn't you use dedicated drum tools? So for me I automatically minus that off the total patch number, so there are really only 198 patches not 250.. i mean 52 drum sounds, seriously??

I am in two minds whether to purchase as for once i would just like to spend that sort of money on a bank of sounds where i have a use for the lot but I am tempted cause i really like some of well, all the other categories. Hmmmm..

Also a thor refill just appeared by sonic elements...

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/thor-essentials/

i initially baulked at $49 for a refill for thor, i thought it was ridiculous (and still somewhat do), but man oh man i loved the demo sounds, i mean it really sounds current and fresh (it's an EDM bank IMO).

I might wait for a sale on that one but it's definitely one of the best thor refills i have heard demos of.

michael.jaye

24 Jul 2015

Yeah, I never use drum sounds in synths. I scroll right past those folders in refills.

Theo.M

25 Jul 2015

michael.jaye wrote:Yeah, I never use drum sounds in synths. I scroll right past those folders in refills.

I honestly think the devs make them to show themselves how clever they are in programming a range of drum sounds in said synth, but i agree it's pointless and a waste of customer's money. Did you hear anything amazing drum wise in that demo? I didn't.. just the same thing that every single other synth bank of every synth with a drum bank provides and for what reason i don't know.

Gimme pads, bells, plucks, bass, and leads please :)

michael.jaye

26 Jul 2015

It shits me also when the drum or percussion sounds in a refill don't change pitch too.

It's just my personal preference, I like more organic percussion sounds and have enough .wav's of drum machines that I can get by without synth drums.
I also like the freedom to organise them in a way that is convenient to me, especially since Reason can't tag or filter results.

Theo.M

27 Jul 2015

michael.jaye wrote:It shits me also when the drum or percussion sounds in a refill don't change pitch too.

It's just my personal preference, I like more organic percussion sounds and have enough .wav's of drum machines that I can get by without synth drums.
I also like the freedom to organise them in a way that is convenient to me, especially since Reason can't tag or filter results.

i have a couple tuned drum libraries i really like.. everything is provided in each key :)

Exowildebeest

08 Aug 2015

Looks like the Parsec refill got its first star!

...to put a positive spin on it.

Theo.M

08 Aug 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:Looks like the Parsec refill got its first star!

...to put a positive spin on it.

anyone can clearly watch the vid prior to purchase and know *exactly* what they are getting, so that is obviously a purchase to rate maliciously. I wonder who is doing this? I have been hearing about this with the props shop from a couple devs, their stuff gets bought so it can be rated at one star. Some are asking for removal. There is no WAY that this is a one star refill.

bpmorton

13 Aug 2015

posting up reviews instead of just getting an overall star rating would fix some of the problem I suspect. Reviewers would be forced to explain their ratings and if no explanation is given then we could assume the review was rubbish.

Theo.M

14 Aug 2015

bpmorton wrote:posting up reviews instead of just getting an overall star rating would fix some of the problem I suspect. Reviewers would be forced to explain their ratings and if no explanation is given then we could assume the review was rubbish.

not really cause they could just say "this sounds crap" and leave it at that.

Those who are maliciously rating would also make sure they did NOT properly explain the reason of the rating if it was mandatory to write something along with the star rating.

bpmorton

15 Aug 2015

Theo.M wrote:
bpmorton wrote:posting up reviews instead of just getting an overall star rating would fix some of the problem I suspect. Reviewers would be forced to explain their ratings and if no explanation is given then we could assume the review was rubbish.

not really cause they could just say "this sounds crap" and leave it at that.

Those who are maliciously rating would also make sure they did NOT properly explain the reason of the rating if it was mandatory to write something along with the star rating.
I go to the bottom of the list and read the 1 and 2 star reviews first to read what the "crazy" people have to say about a product. It's entertaining and I can always tell the reviews that came from someone who didn't know what they were doing. I don't give much weight to reviews that just said something was crap without giving an explanation. If the person isn't articulate enough to give a proper review then they shouldn't be reviewing a product.

Theo.M

15 Aug 2015

actually that's a very good point.. by refusing to explain their rating it actually doesn't give it any weight to begin with. You are totally right my friend!

hydlide

16 Aug 2015

getting back at the review system of Trax In Space, there was a review system where reviewers had a trial period for posting reviews. And the reviews were constant being monitored to see who posted "solid" reviews without having to slam the artist being a dumb ass (just to put in the direct approach).

At some extend that could improve the review / rating system on propellerhead too. Since at this point it shows of being a youtube like / dislike system where every one can just "dislike" a product to "dislike a product" without having any confirmation on the "why"...

bpmorton

16 Aug 2015

hydlide wrote:getting back at the review system of Trax In Space, there was a review system where reviewers had a trial period for posting reviews. And the reviews were constant being monitored to see who posted "solid" reviews without having to slam the artist being a dumb ass (just to put in the direct approach).

At some extend that could improve the review / rating system on propellerhead too. Since at this point it shows of being a youtube like / dislike system where every one can just "dislike" a product to "dislike a product" without having any confirmation on the "why"...
problem with that is they gotta pay some guy to monitor the reviews. probably not going to happen

dvdrtldg

19 Aug 2015

Theo.M wrote:
I watched the whole vid, and i find some very inspiring sounds in there.... was also quite impressed by some of the basses. Who knew parsec could sound so phat and punchy in the nethers.
Yes! Parsec is an excellent bass synth. It's what eventually led me to buy it

hydlide

19 Aug 2015

bpmorton wrote: problem with that is they gotta pay some guy to monitor the reviews. probably not going to happen
on TiS no one got payed to monitor the reviews, it was self monitored by the people. And it worked pretty well since reviewers also reviewed the reviewers (it was a pretty clever system).

now "they" have to pay one guy to email back and forth about the faulty rating system ;)

• Information