RX2 quality weirdness

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
gak

23 Jul 2015

Related: I've been playing around with rex files a lot the last two days and I've noticed that after a pass it seems to settle in correctly. Of course I'll post this and the opposite will happen :lol:

Raveshaper

24 Jul 2015

Why not consider the low resolution of time stretch to be an asset and exploit it as a means of sound design/audio mangling? Can't get more of a "Reason sound" than that.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

gak

24 Jul 2015

NEG REP!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:

Theo.M

24 Jul 2015

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
maketunes wrote:Ableton Live 9 uses a far superior stretch algorithm. Different to 8 and below.. You can drop most file types even Rex2 at any tempo into live and it sorts it out perfectly in most cases. Different animal.
Yes this works perfect in Live. The new Pro stretch in Live 9.2 is very good. I have tested it against Reason a lot. Reason sounds better and doesn't cause these comb filtering artefacts. Reason also use a lot more CPU power even when it timestretches non-realtime.

Back in the day Reason was the most CPU friendly piece of software I could imagine. But Live now is the de facto. It runs super smooth. 

live pro stretch only sounds good on instruments and totally warps the attack of drums - you have to use drums mode for that.

As far as instrumental rex files, i always find best results are simply with DR Rex. But yes live sounds good but no better than reason, sorry. (imo).

I can't say I agree with you that elastique pro (what live uses) is any better than propellerheads' algorithms. Props DO have some issues in the pitch shift formant department, and slowing down tempo of drums using the time stretch (busy shaker type patterns get confused and often even change their pattern), but overall it's very VERY good. If you want to hear the worst modern time stretch around, try bitwig.. it will make you appreciate just how good props' is, and even more so when it came out years ago.

EnochLight

25 Jul 2015

Theo.M wrote:live pro stretch only sounds good on instruments and totally warps the attack of drums - you have to use drums mode for that.

As far as instrumental rex files, i always find best results are simply with DR Rex. But yes live sounds good but no better than reason, sorry. (imo).

I can't say I agree with you that elastique pro (what live uses) is any better than propellerheads' algorithms. Props DO have some issues in the pitch shift formant department, and slowing down tempo of drums using the time stretch (busy shaker type patterns get confused and often even change their pattern), but overall it's very VERY good. If you want to hear the worst modern time stretch around, try bitwig.. it will make you appreciate just how good props' is, and even more so when it came out years ago.
^^ THIS ^^
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

gak

25 Jul 2015

But it is weird. Technically, the warp is pretty darn good. But considering they wrote the darn thing, I think that drag/drop to a track w/o artifacts (the way people are describing here) should be a no-brainer.

And I'll take this time to mini hijack that I want the browser to have a lock to tempo :D

Theo.M

25 Jul 2015

gak wrote:But it is weird. Technically, the warp is pretty darn good. But considering they wrote the darn thing, I think that drag/drop to a track w/o artifacts (the way people are describing here) should be a no-brainer.

And I'll take this time to mini hijack that I want the browser to have a lock to tempo :D

right with you on browser lock to tempo, i can't see how anyone could not want that if props made it optional with a simple checkbox. Live really IS the best at that as it guesses the correct tempo, for any audio source, even without imbedded tempo data, 9 times out of 10. And when it guesses it wrong, it's always simply a case of it guessing either double or half so you just change the multiplier in the file info box and it corrects it. Very cool. With files that aren't a perfect loop, it can't preview correctly in time as it can't correctly guess, but if Reason could just do what live DOES do with the project browser tempo sync, it would be insanely useful for I dare say, a lot of us!

BTW, there are no artefacts when you drag and drop into a project whatsoever, it's when you change the tempo, if the imported file isn't already natively at the project tempo, that things get funky. It's a different way of working but personally I got used to it in a couple hours. Is it really that big of a deal?

What i don't like is the file length being visually truncated when stretch is disabled rather than relatively re aligning with the project timeline, and this could definitely use a fix. It does so to speak go in realtive time, just that the end's get cut off whilst you work out the tempos and you have to manually size it - this is definitely the only daw that does this, all others keep the file visually in tact and just change the grid around it.

Anyway, import file, disable stretch, set tempo of project to that file's tempo, bounce to new recording, re enable stretch.. now it's locked to tempo so you can set back project tempo to whatever you like, and stretch is just as good quality as ableton (in many cases better).

There is no actual stretching going on no matter what the tempo is when a file is first imported, it's because reason is working with that file being presumed to already be the project tempo, that caused the OP here to think it had bad quality, as he was over stretching.

zakalwe

26 Jul 2015

not sure if this will help with your time correction issue here but when i'm importing wavs of drum loops and need to change the tempo a lot but preserve transients i do this:

import audio
doubleclick to bring up slice markers, edit markers if needed.
select all and cut at slices
select all clips and bounce to new recordings
still all clips selected, either turn off timestretch for all selected or per clip at your discretion.
still all clips selected, ALT grab the last clip's drag arrow and stretch (or squeeze) the lot to snap to bar at the tempo you want.

add fades, join, bounce etc. you now have a time corrected loop with perfectly formed transients.

• Information