standalone not working , company asking me to break security protocole ?!?!

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
CharlyCharlzz

23 Jul 2015

-hey guys ,
so I got a standalone software that can also do VST , last updates been fine but the very last one don't let me record anything and just shut down .

after a few support tickets and a video send I get asked if I would mind to let them send me a link to a software (spyware) so they can get into my system to see what is going on .

I would like to get your opinion on that ?
I will never be ok with this but I am curious about others opinions .
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

Emerton

23 Jul 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote:-hey guys ,
so I got a standalone software that can also do VST , last updates been fine but the very last one don't let me record anything and just shut down .

after a few support tickets and a video send I get asked if I would mind to let them send me a link to a software (spyware) so they can get into my system to see what is going on .

Definitely not. :thumbs_down:

CharlyCharlzz

23 Jul 2015

exactly , I know the company is legit but why should I open a door for them Inside my PC ? If they have no idears then they got a bad code IMO

jappe

23 Jul 2015

It should be possible for you to gather the information they need, enabling extended logging etc, rather than allowing them to use your machine as a test machine.
Have they really tried reproducing the issue on their machines, or are they just too lazy for that?

If they have bad logging, then they could provide a debugging version which you could use to gather info.
I would never ever allow them to login to my machine; strange that they even ask that imo.

Olivier

23 Jul 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote:-hey guys ,

When they ask you to install spyware then yes, don't do it..

But are you sure they aren't asking you to install some kind of remote assistance application? Because that I wouldn't call "breaking security protocol". There are many reputable sources for that kind of stuff. Big companies like IBM/HP/Symantec etc. etc. use it. And trust me those guys are strict on security. Those applications usually start up only letting the other party see your screen. It will ask your permission before it will enable control for the other party. If thats what they are asking you to install, then i'd say thats not spyware.
There are more then enough ways to test wether the software is trustworthy before you run it. Take into account where you downloaded it from etc etc.
If you are talking unsupervised access however, then indeed.. NO way ! :)
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

craven

23 Jul 2015

It's pretty common to use remote assistance application like Teamviewer. You could use that for free.
:ugeek:

CharlyCharlzz

23 Jul 2015

@jappe, @eauhm , @craven ;

thanks guys , I call it spywear but like craven sayed it may be just teamviewer .

I dont feel good with the idear anyway so I ask them if they needed a special log files or somekind of scan report insted .

since they are in USA I rather stay out of weird stuff , I will get news from them later and post a update .
thank's for taking time to express your opinion on this BTW .

CharlyCharlzz

26 Jul 2015

still not resolved yet , I did a compatibility check using Windows and it sayed it's not compatible LOL

it is supposed to be compatible so I give up , told them it' snot working now I dont want to try anymore .

CharlyCharlzz

04 Aug 2015

so the guys had me on Skype with share desktop view and give me the best service ever LOL
I guess it's just a cultural thing , In EU we are so much for our privacy !

pLansford

04 Aug 2015

eauhm wrote:But are you sure they aren't asking you to install some kind of remote assistance application? Because that I wouldn't call "breaking security protocol". There are many reputable sources for that kind of stuff. Big companies like IBM/HP/Symantec etc. etc. use it.
I let Symantec in last year to do something with the their software. I sat there watching them the whole time and the rep talked me through everything they were doing. It sounds to me like that's what's going on.

• Information