[SOLVED] Open new tab when clicking a link

List your suggestions here for the reasontalk.com website (not Reason feature requests)!
Forum rules
Keep in mind that this forum is for Reasontalk.com suggestions, and not for support on your Reason Studios software.
eusti

08 Jul 2015

I'm not sure anymore, but I think I remember that when a link was clicked the original page would be still stay...
I know in the older days people would do this to generate more page views... But when I forget to control click + select open link in new tab the page is gone now... And I think that's not so good if you wanted to check something out and were about to comment on it...

So, I would vote for a "create new tab / window" behavior whenever a link is clicked...

D.

Kenni
Site Admin

08 Jul 2015

I know this sounds technical, but one of the most important reasons the developers removed this from phpBB was the goal to achieve XHTML 1.0 Strict-validation for the whole board.

When that's said, I think it's pretty stupid. I will look for a solution for this, but I can already say with some certainty now that a fix for this wont be backwards compatible, therefore only make the change applicable for future posts.

I'll note it down, and talk with the team about it.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

JoshuaPhilgarlic

08 Jul 2015

Yes, pleeeeease!!!!

Olivier

08 Jul 2015

Did you know, in firefox and chrome, clicking on a link with the middle mouse button (and if you don't have that, click your scrollweel) will open said link in a new tab.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

craven

08 Jul 2015

eauhm wrote:Did you know, in firefox and chrome, clicking on a link with the middle mouse button (and if you don't have that, click your scrollhweel) will open said link in a new tab.
yes, use it all the time! good suggestion
:ugeek:

ScuzzyEye

08 Jul 2015

Kenni wrote:I know this sounds technical, but one of the most important reasons the developers removed this from phpBB was the goal to achieve XHTML 1.0 Strict-validation for the whole board.
That might have been fine in the early naughts, but no one codes to XHTML standards anymore. The new hotness is HTML5, and it does allow the use of target.
The target attribute on the a element was deprecated in a previous version of HTML, but is no longer deprecated, as it useful in Web applications, particularly in combination with the iframe element.
Reference

eusti

08 Jul 2015

eauhm wrote:Did you know, in firefox and chrome, clicking on a link with the middle mouse button (and if you don't have that, click your scrollweel) will open said link in a new tab.
Didn't know that! Thanks! Though I'm on a mac laptop... No scroll wheel or 3 mouse buttons...

D.

eusti

08 Jul 2015

Kenni wrote:I know this sounds technical, but one of the most important reasons the developers removed this from phpBB was the goal to achieve XHTML 1.0 Strict-validation for the whole board.

When that's said, I think it's pretty stupid. I will look for a solution for this, but I can already say with some certainty now that a fix for this wont be backwards compatible, therefore only make the change applicable for future posts.

I'll note it down, and talk with the team about it.
Thanks for looking into this!

D.

ScuzzyEye

08 Jul 2015

eusti wrote:Didn't know that! Thanks! Though I'm on a mac laptop... No scroll wheel or 3 mouse buttons...
Three-finger tap?

eusti

08 Jul 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote:
eusti wrote:Didn't know that! Thanks! Though I'm on a mac laptop... No scroll wheel or 3 mouse buttons...
Three-finger tap?
Nope, unless I'm doing it wrong... Never liked gestures...
Not fine motoric enough for that...

D.

eusti

08 Jul 2015

eusti wrote:
ScuzzyEye wrote:
Three-finger tap?
Nope, unless I'm doing it wrong... Never liked gestures...

D.
I might even have turned them off!

D.

ScuzzyEye

08 Jul 2015

eusti wrote:Nope, unless I'm doing it wrong... Never liked gestures...
It might be something that has to be enabled. But it's also been a long time since I used a Mac, and I could be misremembering.

eusti

08 Jul 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote:
eusti wrote:Nope, unless I'm doing it wrong... Never liked gestures...
It might be something that has to be enabled. But it's also been a long time since I used a Mac, and I could be misremembering.
You might be right... Or it might need something like this:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... egestures/
(but honestly, I don't really want to install / reset things just for here...)

D.

jam-s

08 Jul 2015

Simply use ctrl+click or shift-click (depending on your browser, on apple it might also be apple+click) that should then open links in a new tab or window. I prefer that kind of choice over being forced to always open links in a new tab/window.

eusti

08 Jul 2015

jam-s wrote:Simply use ctrl+click or shift-click (depending on your browser, on apple it might also be apple+click) that should then open links in a new tab or window. I prefer that kind of choice over being forced to always open links in a new tab/window.
Well, up to you... If there is a majority for the new behavior, so be it. But as I had said: In case you forget to control click, etc...
There is (in my opinion) no sensible advantage in closing this site when visiting a link... But, as I said, if that's what the majority thinks, I'll live...

D.

Kenni
Site Admin

09 Jul 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote: That might have been fine in the early naughts, but no one codes to XHTML standards anymore. The new hotness is HTML5, and it does allow the use of target.
I know, but phpBB dev's obviously felt otherwise :)

As said, I'll look into the issue, and fix if possible. To me, it doesn't make sense to open a link in the same window.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

Kenni
Site Admin

09 Jul 2015

This has now been fixed.

All external links, including those in BBCodes, will now open in a new tab or window, depending on your browser setup.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

eusti

09 Jul 2015

Kenni wrote:This has now been fixed.

All external links, including those in BBCodes, will now open in a new tab or window, depending on your browser setup.
Yeah!!! Thank you very much! :)

D.

• Information