Eucontrol Avid S3 issues

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Gaja

31 Mar 2015

Hi there
I'm just in the Process of setting up my new Avid S3. In ProTools everything seems to work just fine, but it's behaviour in Reason is quite odd.
I have trouble understanding the way faders and knobs are assigned. so far I get Reason to recognize it as a control surface, but I can't make heads or tails of how faders are assigned, or what logic it follows (if there is one at all).
I even have trouble explaining exactly what's happening, but I'll try...

Fader 1 controls the value shown in Fader 9's display. Fader 9 moves along, as I move fader 1, but Fader 9 itself does nothing at all. The same goes for rotaries. 

So does anyone on here have experience with setting up an Avid S3 Control surface, or maybe Eucon powered devices in general?

Thanks for your Help!
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Gaja

04 Apr 2015

Ok so I understand nobody here uses Eucon enabled hardware, but I'd like to report my findings here, maybe someone else will find it useful.
If you're looking to buy an S3, S6, any of the artist series products, looking to get it to work with Reason then look no further.
It won't.
Simple as that.
Reason does not support EUCON natively, so the Artist series from Avid won't work. They "utilize" the Mackie Control protocol, that means fader layout is as described above. It is possible to create another Mackie control surface in Reason prefs, which changes the layout a little bit, as in you can use all 16 faders, but it still is very unintuitive. The values are still shown in the wrong displays and the fader position isn't accurate (as is described in this duc thread http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=354097&page=2 ).
The Reason for this behaviour is simple and also explained in the linked thread. Reason doesn't support EUCON natively, even though Avid has asked them to. So Avid "implemented" Mackie Control, in the most basic possible way, so they can say it works with others as well. But it does not, hence tis thread and about 7 or 8 out of 10 threads in the Artist Series section of the duc. Avid remains very closed towards the idea of using anything outside of avid with avid. If you ask for support you pay 30$ for them to tell you that you should use avid products instead of the stuff you like.

TLDR:
Don't buy anything avid if you're looking towards using it with Reason or Live or basically anything outside the avid eco system.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

• Information