What about the super combinator?

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
woozy

28 Jun 2015

Actually all it needs for me is 2 more CV inputs on the back and 6 more programmer slots or maybe double targets (like in thor). I don't think it needs to have more knobs or buttons because it will ruin all existing skins, also will ruin looks for me, adding thor as controller will solve that, but doing that it's easy to run out of programmer space, also nice feature to have would be Copy and Paste function in programmer.

sdst
Competition Winner

28 Jun 2015

i love the cables system for me are transparent and fun.

we only need a combi reaktor, and no one will stop the party.

Gorilla Texas

28 Jun 2015

sdst wrote: i love the cables system for me are transparent and fun.

we only need a combi reaktor, and no one will stop the party.

The part in bold is what I was referring to. 

FGL

28 Jun 2015

Everybody knows, the Party never stops.

keeverw

07 Jul 2015

A couple of ideas.

1. Many people use combinators live just like combis on a workstation. It would be nice if you could set a tempo for sync-based FX individually on each combinator. So when I go to the next song, The combinator is already set for the tempo of the next song. Or have the option of using the global tempo.

2. A way to connect combinators together, so when I play one, it sends the notes to any connected combinators as well.

CharlyCharlzz

07 Jul 2015

we asked for a double , huge , big , super or mega combinator for so long !

if they dont add this because it could blow some users CPU may they should make a R4 again for the guys using poor i5 mac's with 4go Ram bars LOL
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

Pinkbox

07 Jul 2015

keeverw wrote:A couple of ideas.
2. A way to connect combinators together, so when I play one, it sends the notes to any connected combinators as well.
I know it's tricky, but you still can put a Thor inside a combinator, set note gate to cv output and connect it to the 2nd combinator.

CharlyCharlzz

07 Jul 2015

1. Many people use combinators live just like combis on a workstation. It would be nice if you could set a tempo for sync-based FX individually on each combinator. So when I go to the next song, The combinator is already set for the tempo of the next song. Or have the option of using the global tempo.

1st request/ impossible to do for props yet (dont ask me why) , you can only open many projects for that .

2nd request/ With CV note trigger you can already connect 50 combinators to one trigget matrix or whatever , it's easy but you got to cable things up !

keeverw

07 Jul 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote:

1st request/ impossible to do for props yet (dont ask me why) , you can only open many projects for that .

2nd request/ With CV note trigger you can already connect 50 combinators to one trigget matrix or whatever , it's easy but you got to cable things up !

As for #1, I wonder if there is a way for an RE to be a tempo generator, maybe a device with an independant LFO or something.
If so, I don't know why that couldn't be attached to a combinator permanently as a built-in feature.

For #2, that is a good idea. It would beat having to add a bunch of devices to an existing combinator, which is what I have to do now.

CharlyCharlzz

07 Jul 2015

it's a bit complex to explain but no they cant do that BPM RE or Combi , everything is synch to the daw in Reason and Reason got complex signal coming and going to everything etc... it would suck maybe even more DSP then having two project opened .

for the CV note trigger it is easy already , you use the CV splitter to receive one CV note signal and then you take the few outs to the other combinators (keeping one out for another CV splitter and do this again to add more lines)

I kind of agree that we could have other auto cv routing option in the menu and this could be a super suggestion IMO

keeverw

07 Jul 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote:it's a bit complex to explain but no they cant do that BPM RE or Combi , everything is synch to the daw in Reason and Reason got complex signal coming and going to everything etc... it would suck maybe even more DSP then having two project opened .

for the CV note trigger it is easy already , you use the CV splitter to receive one CV note signal and then you take the few outs to the other combinators (keeping one out for another CV splitter and do this again to add more lines)

I kind of agree that we could have other auto cv routing option in the menu and this could be a super suggestion IMO
I hear what you're saying. But there are devices in the rack now (FX and arps) that can have a timing completely independant from the global timing.
To me, that would make it seem possible. But I'm not expert.

I don't have reason in front of me right now, but I just googled a pic of a combinator, and I see CV inputs but no outputs.
Where would the note message come from to send to the other combinators?

CharlyCharlzz

07 Jul 2015

keeverw wrote:
CharlyCharlzz wrote:it's a bit complex to explain but no they cant do that BPM RE or Combi , everything is synch to the daw in Reason and Reason got complex signal coming and going to everything etc... it would suck maybe even more DSP then having two project opened .

I hear what you're saying. But there are devices in the rack now (FX and arps) that can have a timing completely independant from the global timing.

I don't have reason in front of me right now, but I just googled a pic of a combinator, and I see CV inputs but no outputs.
it's (CV Note) you got it on the back of the matrix or rpg8 for example , you send that into the input CV (in the sequencer Imput area of the back panel of any synth or combinator) .

I take the guess that you could creat a Rpg8 to play from there and launch that into all the connected synths you want at the same time but I did not try , I only tryed to play about 50 synth's with the matrix and that works but since you can play midi notes with RPG8 you just turn off the Arp and unconnect it , then connect it's cv out to all your stuff , then you select on the sequencer the track created for rpg8 and once selected you can play all the synths ....and voila ;)

keeverw

07 Jul 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote:
keeverw wrote:

it's (CV Note) you got it on the back of the matrix or rpg8 for example , you send that into the input CV (in the sequencer Imput area of the back panel of any synth or combinator) .

I take the guess that you could creat a Rpg8 to play from there and launch that into all the connected synths you want at the same time but I did not try , I only tryed to play about 50 synth's with the matrix and that works but since you can play midi notes with RPG8 you just turn off the Arp and unconnect it , then connect it's cv out to all your stuff , then you select on the sequencer the track created for rpg8 and once selected you can play all the synths ....and voila ;)
Wow! 50 synths at once. That must've been pretty cool!

Thanks for the info.

I'll try it out tomorrow.

keeverw

07 Jul 2015

Tried it out tonight...it worked!!!

This is so much easier than my previous method.

I really need to learn more about how to use CV. I've been missing out!

Thanks!

CharlyCharlzz

19 Jul 2015

keeverw wrote:Tried it out tonight...it worked!!!

This is so much easier than my previous method.

I really need to learn more about how to use CV. I've been missing out!

Thanks!
Awesome :D I started to get a real fan once I pushed that door and hope you have as much fun I had (still do) with it .

now you can also see that there is a million free CV RE's to be creative with ;)

kow

20 Jul 2015

The combinator 2.0 should be modular. Like Thor, modules should be easily switchable from a dropdown list. You could have:

* faders
* mixers
* crossfaders
* XY pads
* buttons
* switches

height would be the Combinator 1.0 height, or on a button click it could expand to your needs.

I can also imagine a slightly higher device with a custom drawn UI that looks like Synchronous. Functionality should be like TouchOSC.

Noplan
Competition Winner

21 Jul 2015

People actually want to put combinators inside of combinators?
(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

Combinception

Aquila

22 Jul 2015

joeyluck wrote:And can you put a Combinator in that Combinator? You can say no, but then what happens if you save a Combinator that contains a Combinator and then load it in another Combinator?
It would be better to have both a new combinator and the classic combinator available, each with their own patch file format (ie .cmb and maybe .cm2) and limit the new combi to only allow classic combinators and patches be loaded within.

philosurfer

27 Sep 2015

Pinkbox wrote: I know it's tricky, but you still can put a Thor inside a combinator, set note gate to cv output and connect it to the 2nd combinator.
exactly what i needed right now. :)

michal22

10 Oct 2015

My dream combinator:
Control is via touch panel - as CV Suite Vectorizer.
At each corner of the touch panel is the memory bank:
Bank A, Bank B, Bank C and Bank D.
You create your own device Combinator and set the parameters of the devices as you want.
Now you press the right mouse button on the Combinator and choose option - save all parameters in the bank A.
Now you change the parameters of the devices in combinator and choose option - save all parameters in the bank B.
You can set things up this way also other memory banks.
Now, by moving a finger, or the cursor on the touch panel, you can customize sound effect or instrument. You can create rich and complex (complicated) passage. In the future, the Combinator will support touch screens.

Programming the current combinator is not easy and enjoyable. You need to lose a lot of time when entering parameters. New (touch) combinator would be very easy to use and very effective.

In the future, instead of rectangular or square touch it rains, you can develop the concept of the new shape of the touch panel (eg. A hexagon) with six memory banks. Amazing opportunity.
Ableton Live Suite 10 / Reason 10 / Windows 10 / Fingers - also 10 ;)

Raveshaper

11 Oct 2015

I like the touch sensitive concept, although I'm a little unclear as to how that would actually work in practice. Does moving across the surface interpolate between fixed values stored in each memory bank, or does movement adjust controls? I like it, I just can't "see" it in my head.

That said, it is now possible to use a combinator without ever loading one. Parameter value ranges can be programmed on the fly and can be updated at any time, even from the sequencer. The limit of the "programmer" assignment slots range from 1 to enough to choke out even the highest range of top of the line processors.

I'm currently writing the first draft of the user's manual for the people I selected for the beta test. Depending on the reaction to its design, you may hear good things about it soon. I hope the response will be favorable, this took me a year to piece together.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

K1TTENM1TTEN

13 Oct 2015

So here is my question - So we can't put a combi in a combi because of possible sizing issues - but we could if the new combi just looked like a rack head and then whatever below it was actually included "in" the sub-combi until a new combi rack broke it into another chain. My question is this: Combis = Individual track lanes, but with all of these new CV REs is there a way to control multiple combis/track lanes at the same time?

Why this would be useful for me - Live.
I primarily use an Edirol PCR-800 for live performance. I would like to be able to have all of my combis active (let's use 8 different combis for this example). I want to be able to mute whichever ones I do not want to be active at that moment, or perhaps solo them in pairs as a song progresses. Many ReFills, like Miroslav's string combis, do not play well with dragging their contents into another combi and just wiring them to a new mixer. I would like to not be glued to my laptop to click the arrows up and down to select my patches and instead use my controller more like a workstation (being able to fade into the full 8 sounds if needed, or switch between combi patches without latency/bizarre cutoff issues).

So perhaps it is out of ignorance, or perhaps it is because this has not been done yet, but is there an RE that allows your note signals to activate through every combi you have out, or is playing multiple combis still out of reach as one can only play what is currently selected on the track lane?

michal22

14 Oct 2015

Raveshaper wrote:I like the touch sensitive concept, although I'm a little unclear as to how that would actually work in practice. Does moving across the surface interpolate between fixed values stored in each memory bank, or does movement adjust controls? I like it, I just can't "see" it in my head.

That said, it is now possible to use a combinator without ever loading one. Parameter value ranges can be programmed on the fly and can be updated at any time, even from the sequencer. The limit of the "programmer" assignment slots range from 1 to enough to choke out even the highest range of top of the line processors.

I'm currently writing the first draft of the user's manual for the people I selected for the beta test. Depending on the reaction to its design, you may hear good things about it soon. I hope the response will be favorable, this took me a year to piece together.
I'm sorry that I long kept silent, but I had a very busy week. A lot of work, which has not yet been movements solved, so my answers may be delayed.
Yes, I thought about that moving across the surface interpolate between fixed values stored in each memory bank. Something like this:
Values could return only as integers (0-127).
Combinator could contain key - calculate (interpolate grid).
I'm sorry, I'm not a programmer and hard for me to relate to the reality of such a solution. However, if that solution will be implemented (with memory banks) - creating songs, arranging, smooth transitions would be extremely easy and intuitive. Imagine the combinator - mixer, a few synths, delay, reverb, effects differently positioned in each bank and a smooth transition between these values by moving a finger.
When I bought a few years ago, Korg Kaoss Pad KP3 then i love it.
Now I have a Korg Taktile and created by me Combinator presets, the same as in the KP3. This works the same way. However, i uses 2 knob combinator as x and y parameters. For example - first, I set the tone change only in the x-axis (eg. Delay), and later in the y-axis (ie. Cut filter). Each parameter must laboriously entered in combinator. It takes a long time. Often the value is expressed in different units in combinator than on the device. It's hard to move the exact values. If there were a combinator with such memory banks that work would be very nice and extremely effective.

Sorry for my bad english.
Ableton Live Suite 10 / Reason 10 / Windows 10 / Fingers - also 10 ;)

Raveshaper

14 Oct 2015

Your English is fine, you write well. :)

What you want technically already exists, but not in terms of the grid input. I will come up with a solution for this and see how it turns out.

Raveshaper

14 Oct 2015

Michal,

I have studied the picture you attached above and there is one small problem. The numbers in your grid do not take into account that x and y must work together to create one final value.

I believe it is possible to mathematically define the x/y input as follows:

x1 = (0, 100), (127, 20)
x2 = (0, 30), (127, 60)

y1 = (0, x1 [1].y), (127, x2 [1].y)
y2 = (0, x1 [2].y), (127, x2 [2].y)

Where xn and yn are pairs (x, y).

The value created by x and y would then be an average of the two summed together. Different ranges of value could be achieved using matrix transformation, but it would slow down response.

• Information