Tutorial: Making your synths sound wide & full.

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
avensa

28 Mar 2015

Just a little tutorial on making your synths sound wide & full.

You can find the tutorial here;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSyP-C-W5u0

Hope you find this useful. Let me know what kind of tutorials you would like to see and I will try my best to do them.

jappe

28 Mar 2015

Great tutorial, thank's for sharing!

In general it would be nice to have tutorials for different scenarios where the worst practice is first demoed, and then the best practice. Adds value to see and hear the evidence of why NOT to do a thing in a certain way.

dflynn

29 Mar 2015

Great tutorial. Newbie question: Why do you use an RV7000 and an RV-7 for reverb? I'm not questioning your choice - I'd just like to understand the different roles the two devices play.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

avensa

29 Mar 2015

Great tutorial. Newbie question: Why do you use an RV7000 and an RV-7 for reverb? I'm not questioning your choice - I'd just like to understand the different roles the two devices play.

Thanks in advance,

Dave
Hey Dave,

The purpose of using 2 reverb units is that one sounds 'closer' and the other sounds more 'distant'. I personally think it add a nice texture to the sound. Also, I used the RV-7000 as the 'main' reverb unit, so it's more distinct and there's much more to it than the RV-7. In other words, more control.

Hope this helps!

Puckboy2000

29 Mar 2015

Dude, you kick ass!
The production quality you get out of Reason is astounding.
I have so many songs that I need to finish/polish.
My goal is to learn enough from producers like you to get my music finished and posted!

Thanks !
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than than that" - George Carlin

Puckboy2000

29 Mar 2015

Question:  What exactly does setting one delay panned to the left at 2 and the other to the right at 3 do?
Also, do you compress each instrument individually with its own compressor before sending it to the mixer or do you usually just compress the entire mix at once?
Or both???

Thanks,
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than than that" - George Carlin

avensa

29 Mar 2015

Dude, you kick ass!
The production quality you get out of Reason is astounding.
I have so many songs that I need to finish/polish.
My goal is to learn enough from producers like you to get my music finished and posted!

Thanks !
Thanks man! Much appreciated! More tutorials coming very soon ;)

avensa

29 Mar 2015

Question:  What exactly does setting one delay panned to the left at 2 and the other to the right at 3 do?
Also, do you compress each instrument individually with its own compressor before sending it to the mixer or do you usually just compress the entire mix at once?
Or both???

Thanks,
This creates stereo width. It's pretty much the oldest trick in the book! But, it also add intense gain, which can cause a lot of clipping!

I compress each instrument individually. Sometimes I might bus leads & basses, but to be honest I'm a control freak & perfectionist, so I normally do it individually.

Sinistereo

29 Mar 2015

I'm curious. Why are you splitting your audio signal then immediately recombining it in the mixer?

selig
RE Developer

29 Mar 2015

Or both???

Thanks,
avensa wrote:
This creates stereo width. It's pretty much the oldest trick in the book! But, it also add intense gain, which can cause a lot of clipping!

I compress each instrument individually. Sometimes I might bus leads & basses, but to be honest I'm a control freak & perfectionist, so I normally do it individually.

It should only add 3 dB on average, unless you're using a LOT of feedback. When you say it adds "intense gain", what levels are you seeing?

:)
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

29 Mar 2015

Sinistereo wrote:I'm curious. Why are you splitting your audio signal then immediately recombining it in the mixer?
I mentioned this in a PM to the OP, pointing out all it's doing is increasing the overall gain by 9 dB.

:)
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information