Ensoniq ASR-10 documentary.. Illmind (producer, Eminem, Kanye) references Reason!

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
EnochLight

25 Mar 2015

While perusing old Ensoniq hardware videos, I found this old (2013) documentary on the ASR-10 (my favorite hardware sampler workstation of all time).  Turns out that !llmind not only used an ASR-10, but also Reason.  The screen shot is stock, but it's kind of cool that RE's were plugged in the video (it's at the 2:55 mark):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u-d642gVAo

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

bpmorton

25 Mar 2015

When they say that the ASR colors the sound....they are dead wrong. In Keyboard mag's second sampler shootout it was found that the ASR had the flattest input frequency..even flatter than Akai and Kurzweil. Output was just as flat if I recall. I still have that issue of Keyboard mag.

Brian

EnochLight

25 Mar 2015

bpmorton wrote:When they say that the ASR colors the sound....they are dead wrong. In Keyboard mag's second sampler shootout it was found that the ASR had the flattest input frequency..even flatter than Akai and Kurzweil. Output was just as flat if I recall. I still have that issue of Keyboard mag.

Brian
Yeah, when they said that it made me giggle.  The only thing that "colors" the sound on the ASR-10 was the awesome effects, but you had to send the sample through the effects to hear it.  
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

bpmorton

26 Mar 2015

btw

there is a guy in ebay that sells SCSI CD rom drives along with tons of samples on CD. I just picked one up for my TS-12 and it included most of the Ensoniq factory CD roms.

EnochLight

27 Mar 2015

bpmorton wrote:btw

there is a guy in ebay that sells SCSI CD rom drives along with tons of samples on CD. I just picked one up for my TS-12 and it included most of the Ensoniq factory CD roms.
I had the SCSI CD-ROM with my ASR-10, but the only disc I had was The Art of Transwaves (which was cutting edge awesome at the time). It was much faster than the old floppy disc.

bpmorton

28 Mar 2015

Is this the disc you are referring to?

http://www.soundengine.com/en/ensoniq-a ... waves.html

EnochLight

28 Mar 2015

bpmorton wrote:Is this the disc you are referring to?

http://www.soundengine.com/en/ensoniq-a ... waves.html
That was the one!   ;)

Despondo
Competition Winner

09 Apr 2015

I've converted all of my ASR-10 samples for use with Reason, but have yet to find a way to emulate the unique ASR-10 layer switch buttons very well within Reason.  Any ideas?

MarkTarlton

09 Apr 2015

love the asr! that rap was ground breaking! :D

Some Desperate Glory

09 Apr 2015

The ASR-10 was the centerpiece of my studio from about 1993 through 2007 (when I broke down and started using a DAW).  I think when people talk about how the ASR-10 "colors" the sound (and I agree with them) they are talking about two things:

1.  The per-sound filter.  It was a kind of weird filter w/o resonance but it certainly had a nice, "rounding" feel for lack of a better word.

2.  The effects.  It used the same DSP engine as the DP/4 and in my opinion are some of the best digital effects from a musical standpoint anywhere.

What made the ASR-10 amazing for me is that you could record into RAM via the line-in AND mix it with the sequencer.  So, I had a recording studio right there in the ASR-10.  I hooked up my M1, my drum machine, my Prophet-600 and a mic and I recorded everything without tape.  In 1993.

Fun fact, the chip that drove the effects unit in both the DP/4 and the ASR-10 was designed primarily by Bob Yannes, who also designed the SID when he was at Commodore. 
Still nostalgic about the old days, writing songs with my Amiga 500, Korg M1, and Ensoniq ASR-10 sampler.

bpmorton

09 Apr 2015

Despondo wrote:I've converted all of my ASR-10 samples for use with Reason, but have yet to find a way to emulate the unique ASR-10 layer switch buttons very well within Reason.  Any ideas?

Did you use Rubber Chicken's Translator or something else to convert the samples?

Brian

willy66

26 Sep 2023

EnochLight wrote:
25 Mar 2015
While perusing old Ensoniq hardware videos, I found this old (2013) documentary on the ASR-10 (my favorite hardware sampler workstation of all time).  Turns out that !llmind not only used an ASR-10, but also Reason.  The screen shot is stock, but it's kind of cool that RE's were plugged in the video (it's at the 2:55 mark):

That's fascinating! The Ensoniq ASR-10 is indeed a legendary piece of hardware, and it's always interesting to see how influential it has been in the world of music production. The fact that !llmind used an ASR-10 along with Reason adds a unique layer to his creative process.

I appreciate you sharing the link to the documentary. I'm sure it's a great watch for anyone interested in both classic hardware samplers like the ASR-10 and modern digital tools like Reason. It's a testament to the enduring appeal of certain pieces of music equipment and how they continue to shape music production even years after their initial release.

Thanks for sharing this interesting tidbit, and I hope others who are passionate about music production and gear will find it as intriguing as you did!

EnochLight

26 Sep 2023

willy66 wrote:
26 Sep 2023
EnochLight wrote:
25 Mar 2015
While perusing old Ensoniq hardware videos, I found this old (2013) documentary on the ASR-10 (my favorite hardware sampler workstation of all time).  Turns out that !llmind not only used an ASR-10, but also Reason.  The screen shot is stock, but it's kind of cool that RE's were plugged in the video (it's at the 2:55 mark): I am also getting interested with durags from this website, if you are also a fan of durags, please let me know.

That's fascinating!
I am reluctant to approve your post, since you're reviving an 8-year old thread that hasn't seen the light of day in years... :lol: So, bot or not?

WarStar

26 Sep 2023

illmind has been a reason user for awhile.. great to see one of the top producers plug reason..!!

DaveyG

26 Sep 2023

EnochLight wrote:
26 Sep 2023
willy66 wrote:
26 Sep 2023

That's fascinating!
I am reluctant to approve your post, since you're reviving an 8-year old thread that hasn't seen the light of day in years... :lol: So, bot or not?
Chatbot. :thumbup:

Despondo
Competition Winner

19 Dec 2023

bpmorton wrote:
09 Apr 2015
Did you use Rubber Chicken's Translator or something else to convert the samples?

Brian
Sorry to have never responded to this query. I used Translator to convert the instruments to NN-XT compatible patches. Using it now to convert all of my old banks and instruments onto an SD card. I just replaced the internal ZIP drive kit I had been using (which replaced the original floppy drive) with a ZuluSCSI SD card drive from SamplerZone. It's like having a new sampler again! :-)

fullforce

23 Dec 2023

Made several tracks on it with a friend (it was his machine), using Cubase/Atari as sequencer. Did some gigs and got one vinyl release. Great machine.

*edit* Oh yeah, and one track on a compilation CD. :D
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Despondo
Competition Winner

10 Jan 2024

fullforce wrote:
23 Dec 2023
*edit* Oh yeah, and one track on a compilation CD. :D
Nice to hear! Congrats! :-)

• Information