Midi Controller Keyboard.

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
pushedbutton

24 Mar 2015

Is it worth getting a 61 or 88 key keyboard? I like the idea and I have the space, just, but has anyone actually jumped up from a 49 key keyboard to a longer one and decided it was pointless after all. I'm not a fantastic keyboard player but I do like the idea of having fast access to more octaves and I think it would look cool. I'm not talking about spending loads, I would still be trying to spend less that £100, but seen as my pitch wheel has given up on my gen3 oxygen 49 I'm looking to upgrade anyhow. Is it worth a few quid more or am I better of sticking with 49 keys?
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

gak

24 Mar 2015

I like having the extra keys so that I can control dr octorex. (keeping it at one octave lower and still have a full range of keys)

Might not be a big enough of a deal for you. I don't play really high keys at all so in the standard octave mode it would be no use to me. 

Sinistereo

24 Mar 2015

61 keys is the sweet spot for me. The extra octave gives more flexibility over 49 keys without the space and cost of the full 88.

Julibee

24 Mar 2015

I sometimes wish for 88 keys, but 61 is enough for most of the time. 49 absolutely wouldn't cut it. But I play my controller like a piano mostly, not like a synth.  So, I need octaves.  
I'm still doing it wrong.
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | Twitter | .com

Benedict
Competition Winner

24 Mar 2015

I have had both 4 & 5 octave keyboards and I have to say that if you have the space get the extra octave. Can't speak for 88 keys but if that is in the space and $$ budgets then maybe... Just be sure the 88 isn't going to have an action you don't like as many skip straight to hammer instead of synth and I don't roll that way.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

EnochLight

24 Mar 2015

I settled for a 49 just because of space constraints. I make it work, but I do miss 61. I have no need for 88, but.. my key playing is pretty rudimentary.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

DOKTOR242

24 Mar 2015

All you peeps here :
I bought a ALESIS QSR 49 for 30 $US
I kid you not It is by far the quietest key bed on the planet 
Very nice light synth action keys big octave switch buttons right above mod/pitch wheel
I hate mechanical key noise, just f'n hate it .
ALESIS got it right

Benedict
Competition Winner

25 Mar 2015

DOKTOR242 wrote:All you peeps here :
I bought a ALESIS QSR 49 for 30 $US
I kid you not It is by far the quietest key bed on the planet 
Very nice light synth action keys big octave switch buttons right above mod/pitch wheel
I hate mechanical key noise, just f'n hate it .
ALESIS got it right
Maybe I will look at one of those next time as this P6 is damned noisy. I like to hear the magic of my synth brass not the clatter of keys. If P6 were a Clavichord then the keys would be louder than the instrument itself!!

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

The Intrancer

26 Mar 2015

It really doesn't matter if you're a keyboardist or a single finger key plucker, the benefits of an extra octave is greatly beneficial to the ease of freedom you have whilst playing not only those extra keys but with the combining of chords and merging of keys of those below it. It is particularly advantageous frequency spectrum wise, as well as performance wise also and as consequence provides more creative freedom without feeling handicapped and having to compromise on the sonic range which keyboards that have less, have.

Should you want to raise the octave of the keyboard, you would in normal practical use only need to go one octave up or down with the press of a button, the beauty of which normally provides enough bottom and high range for the type of music you are producing with a 61+ keyboard.

61 keys ( full size keys ) is considered the basic minimum to learn to play the keyboard or the piano by music tutors because of the benefits such as the sonic range but also from an ergonomic position where your arms are more expanded leading to more openly expressive and free flowing sensation when your arms and elbows are lifted.

Unless there is a specific feature or reason for buying a keyboard / synthesizer, the key action is a top priority so it's worth paying the extra and one which provides the best for your needs, that is unless you're happy to apply your own modifications to a budget keyboard to improve it.

AKA Scottym         
http://www.reasontalk.com/profile/3716617 
https://soundcloud.com/scott-moncrieff-1 13 Tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/theintrancer 16 Tracks  
Independent views and advice-Digital CGI/Music Artist, Forum Stats & Links Extended- Embrace And Learn From What I Do Or Disengage, It's Your Choice, Life Is Getting Shorter - I've No Time For Cry Babies

EnochLight

27 Mar 2015

You guys must have bum P6's. My keys are pretty quiet. Either that or, turn your monitors up! ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

keeverw

17 Jun 2015

I use 2 on stage. My upper board is 49 and my lower is 61.
I play piano and pad sounds on the lower one (it stays locked to my piano/pad combinatory), and when playing piano I need 61 keys. When I try to play piano on my 49, I keep running out of keys on the lower end. But my upper board I only use for lead synth sounds, so 49 is more than enough for that. Really 37 would be enough for that.

• Information