Just got a free Ensoniq SQ-1 Plus!!!!!

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
EnochLight

22 Mar 2015

Wow.. what a blast from the past!  An old friend of mine just contacted me via FB and said her friend "found" an old Ensoniq keyboard in her basement and was going to throw it out since she can't find the power chord.  

Turns out it's an Ensoniq SQ-1+, which is an early 90's rompler with a built-in 8-track step sequencer (the same one that was on most of their VFX, EPS, and ASR series stuff).  I used to use the VFX, EPS, and ASR series back in the late 80's/early 90's - looking forward to powering this thing up (supposed to pick it up in a couple of weeks)!  I doubt the battery is still good, though.   :frown:

Check it out:

http://synthark.com/synthesizer-museum/ ... sq-1-plus/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBaVOBuzbHY
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

eusti

22 Mar 2015

Personally, I never found Ensoniq's synths after the SQ80 too inspiring...
Their samplers (from the Mirage to the ASR) were great though...
But for free it's definitely worth playing around with and possible sell it if you don't like it too much... ;)

D.

EnochLight

22 Mar 2015

I enjoyed their VFX line.  At the time, there was nothing else like them on the market for the price.  I never owned an SQ-1, though.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

bpmorton

22 Mar 2015

Awesome!

I just got a VFXsd back in Jan...SQ1 does much of the same type of sounds minus the modmixer.

don't forget to download old issues of the transoniq Hacker if you didn't already have a subscription from way back.

http://www.buchty.net/~buchty/ensoniq/transoniq_hacker/

Also look for sysex patches on the net.

I've been an Ensoniq user forever (EPS, VFX, TS-12) Love the sounds they make, love the transwaves and wave sequencing!

Brian

EnochLight

22 Mar 2015

bpmorton wrote:Awesome!

I just got a VFXsd back in Jan...SQ1 does much of the same type of sounds minus the modmixer.

don't forget to download old issues of the transoniq Hacker if you didn't already have a subscription from way back.

http://www.buchty.net/~buchty/ensoniq/transoniq_hacker/

Also look for sysex patches on the net.

I've been an Ensoniq user forever (EPS, VFX, TS-12) Love the sounds they make, love the transwaves and wave sequencing!

Brian
Nice!  Thanks for the link and info.

Cheers

raymondh

22 Mar 2015

Ensoniq were a really innovative company.

I remember though that the mirage had a really horrible keyboard, was spongey.

Great sound though!

ScuzzyEye

22 Mar 2015

raymondh wrote:Ensoniq were a really innovative company.
Robert Yannes, the co-founder of Ensoniq really liked phase-accumulating oscillators, and so do I. :)

eXode

23 Mar 2015

FIZMO, would love to see a soft synth version of it.

eusti

23 Mar 2015

eXode wrote:FIZMO, would love to see a soft synth version of it.
Yeah, that's a strange one!

D.

ScuzzyEye

23 Mar 2015

eXode wrote:FIZMO, would love to see a soft synth version of it.
I'd love to do that, but its built-in tables are more than single cycles of simple waveforms. I don't see how they could be recreated in a convincing manner, without directly copying them. It did have sampling abilities. Maybe once REs gain the ability to load samples, it could be sold as a straight-up sampler that allows for cross-sample synthesis.

• Information