Just ordered myself a Microbrute

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
mayzon

17 Mar 2015

Hi

Good chance you already know it http://www.arturia.com/products/hardwar ... microbrute

A
s an analog noob i thought it would be a good way into analog gear and exploring what can be done with it.

I know my way around synths but I've learned that almost entirely using soft synths. 

I was looking for a relatively inexpensive way of getting that 'analog sound' into Reason, to see if it changes my music or the way I work.

Guess I just needed a little pick me up/inspiration but I'm really looking forward to getting my hands dirty with it   :)

Mart

Olivier

17 Mar 2015

Good choice! I never regretted getting mine.
Its a very versatile little beast. Using mine as a starting point for a eurorack modular. Its great tying in real cv with reason cv!
If you ever have any questions about it, i'll be glad to help ;)
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

mayzon

17 Mar 2015

eauhm wrote:Good choice! I never regretted getting mine. Its a very versatile little beast. Using mine as a starting point for a eurorack modular. Its great tying in real cv with reason cv! If you ever have any questions about it, i'll be glad to help ;)
Thanks Eauhm

No doubt I will have, mixing the cv's sound really interesting.

How much control have you got over the Microbrute from Reason, is it just the 1 knob on the midi device?

Olivier

17 Mar 2015

There is very little controlable via midi CC.
The unit just takes in note, pitch and modwheel, and time sync.
None of the knobs send midi out.

With the time sync however you can sync the internal LFO to reason, and use that to modulate whatever you can patch through the patch bay.
Whilst at the same time send the modwheel to the cutoff.. Restricted, but it works.

mayzon

18 Mar 2015

eauhm wrote:There is very little controlable via midi CC.
The unit just takes in note, pitch and modwheel, and time sync.
None of the knobs send midi out.

With the time sync however you can sync the internal LFO to reason, and use that to modulate whatever you can patch through the patch bay.
Whilst at the same time send the modwheel to the cutoff.. Restricted, but it works.

Excellent, thanks.

Well it's just been delivered so I'm now clocking watching until I finish work.

No doubt I'll some more questions in the next couple of days.

Appreciate the help.

See you on the other side

Mart

mayzon

20 Mar 2015

I've been playing with it for the last couple of days and I'm really impressed. Wonderful variety of sounds from just that one oscillator.

When you load it up with effects in reason it really opens up a different league of possibilities.

I've ran into 1 problem thus far.

I have the arpeggiator on the midi channel which sounds like its working perfectly but when I hit record and record the audio in the audio track, on playback the sequence is out by maybe 1/8 or 1/16.

I'm not recording what I'm hearing, has anyone experienced this? 

Thanks

Mart

Olivier

20 Mar 2015

mayzon wrote: I've ran into 1 problem thus far.

I have the arpeggiator on the midi channel which sounds like its working perfectly but when I hit record and record the audio in the audio track, on playback the sequence is out by maybe 1/8 or 1/16.

Thanks

Mart
Not entirely like that.
If i use Midi i have about a 46 ms delay. This is probably due to the delay in the midi interfaces and the input latency of the audio interface.
If i use CV (through my modular) i end up with about 24 ms. There's not much one can do about that.

mayzon

20 Mar 2015

mayzon wrote: I've ran into 1 problem thus far.

Thanks

Mart
eauhm wrote:
Not entirely like that.
If i use Midi i have about a 46 ms delay. This is probably due to the delay in the midi interfaces and the input latency of the audio interface.
If i use CV (through my modular) i end up with about 24 ms. There's not much one can do about that.
I've got a similar ms to that but the difference seems to be far larger. 

Hmmm ok. I'm going to have a tweek.

Thanks eauhm  :)  

kevotebasura9

01 Apr 2015

I've been using the Microbrute with Reason for a few months and like it.  I don't hear noticable latency but I may just not have an ear for it.  It took me a while to figure out how to record the audio too. I had to mess around with the Asio4All driver to make sure the input was active.  I'm using midi through usb even though I read it is slower than the direct midi cables. 

What do you use to clock the latency? I'd like to do this myself.

I'm also doing external midi with a Moog Slim Phatty and and have a Waldorf Pulse 2 on its way.  Does anyone know what the External Midi limit is in Reason?  I've tried to find that in documentation but haven't been able to find any info.

Olivier

01 Apr 2015

kevotebasura9 wrote: What do you use to clock the latency? I'd like to do this myself.
What i measured was the total latency from the start of the midi event in the note clip to the start of the actual sound. I did this simply by recording it and looking at the interval between the two :P

Then i compared different methods, Midi via USB, Midi via firewire and via CV through my modular. The last having the least latency..
kevotebasura9 wrote: Does anyone know what the External Midi limit is in Reason?  I've tried to find that in documentation but haven't been able to find any info.
I haven't found any limit. Right now i have 6 USB devices and 1 firewire device that does MIDI. Some are control interfaces that happen to also have midi in/out. I have a dedicated midi interface, my audio interface does midi... on most these devices i have one or more midi only devices daisy chained...

So as far as limits go, as long as your machine accepts another midi interface, wether its just midi IO or a synth directly, i'm confident Reason will be able to work with it...

mayzon

02 Apr 2015

kevotebasura9 wrote:I've been using the Microbrute with Reason for a few months and like it.  I don't hear noticable latency but I may just not have an ear for it.  It took me a while to figure out how to record the audio too. I had to mess around with the Asio4All driver to make sure the input was active.  I'm using midi through usb even though I read it is slower than the direct midi cables. 

What do you use to clock the latency? I'd like to do this myself.

I'm also doing external midi with a Moog Slim Phatty and and have a Waldorf Pulse 2 on its way.  Does anyone know what the External Midi limit is in Reason?  I've tried to find that in documentation but haven't been able to find any info.
I haven't had any trouble with latency apart from when I record it into the sequencer I have to cut a few ms from the front of the audio clip to get it to sit where it should be.

I'm using midi cables to connect and I'm using my midi keyboard for note triggering. My interface is firewire so that's probably helping too. 

Not sure what the clock latency is as I'm not in the studio but will update if you want to know.

Mart

Ocean of Waves

06 Apr 2015

• Information