Why do 3D renderings of REs look so odd???

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
JoshuaPhilgarlic

15 Mar 2015

You probably watched this quite often: whenever a RE is rendered in 3D it looks kind of odd: the front plate faces to one side, but the knobs are facing to the other side!

Ok, it's a little bit unfair to show a not yet released RE as an example, but I didn't find another one for now...

You know what I mean? The RE itself is twisted to the right, but the wheels and knobs in parts look to the left. If it would be a device in real world this would mean that those elements are buckled!

I encountered this so many times, especially in Prop's own shop adverts. But why?? Is it a faulty option of the SDK itself???

ScuzzyEye

15 Mar 2015

Look again, the knobs to the right are leaning farther right, than the ones on the left. It's just how a wide-angle lens in close proximity to an object would look.

JoshuaPhilgarlic

15 Mar 2015

I'm pretty sure that a wide-angle lens would also distort the front panel and not only the knobs ;) .

rcbuse
RE Developer

15 Mar 2015

Its just the perspective in the tool the devs use. If you close one eye and put your face 10 inches from a real 19 inch rack device, you will see the knobs look the same way.

Ocean of Waves

16 Mar 2015

Most devs screencapture the tool that the Props gave us to develop Rack Extensions and use those for marketing purposes. It's not suited for that IMHO and never intended to be used like that. The McDsp RE's GUI are probably build -for marketing shots only- in a proper 3D suite like Maya, Blender or Cinema4D. 

Bottom line, if you want to render beautiful 3D shots of your RE you have to rebuild the GUI in another environment.

joeyluck

16 Mar 2015

Ocean of Waves wrote:Most devs screencapture the tool that the Props gave us to develop Rack Extensions and use those for marketing purposes. It's not suited for that IMHO and never intended to be used like that. The McDsp RE's GUI are probably build -for marketing shots only- in a proper 3D suite like Maya, Blender or Cinema4D. 

Bottom line, if you want to render beautiful 3D shots of your RE you have to rebuild the GUI in another environment.
I thought someone else said that the beginning of the video shows the RE SDK software...?

rcbuse
RE Developer

16 Mar 2015

joeyluck wrote:I thought someone else said that the beginning of the video shows the RE SDK software...?
From about 0:03 - 0:05 it shows the device being rotated in the tool that most people (myself included) probably use to generate their shots.

selig
RE Developer

16 Mar 2015

It may be worth noting there are settings to control the amount of 'perspective' and you can also totally remove it. In other words, it's the choice of the person making the render to include as much (or no) perspective. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

challism

17 Mar 2015

This topic is creeping dangerously close to violation of the non-disclosure agreement, isn't it?  Just don't want any of my favorite devs to get in trouble.  :idea:
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

moofi

17 Mar 2015

These renderings created in 3dsmax show different cameralenses from 2.5mm - 10000 mm. The viewingangle (slightly not perpendicular to the plane) is identical while the viewingdistance differs to compensate the difference in Field of View. The cylinderlenght doubles every row (from bottom to top).

Attachments
lenses.jpg
lenses.jpg (246.31 KiB) Viewed 1258 times

• Information