Modern EDM sounds

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
djfm1983

06 Mar 2015

Anyone know where you can buy patches for Thor if any other synth in Reason that has that modern EDM synth or bass sound? I haven't been able to find anything that sounds like modern EDM. I actually waiting till I can afford Massive or Sylenth 1 because they seem to be how everyone is achieving those sounds. Any tutorials anyone knows for programing Reason synths that can actually sound modern?
soundcloud.com/djfm1983

gullum

06 Mar 2015

I bought Inspire for antidote Refill by eXode and those presets are IMO very EDM sounding and as starting points you can change them to something more to your liking but effaces you need antidote for the refill

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... antidote/ 

frog974new

06 Mar 2015

an other refill from Exode , the Massive Exode Refill
a compilation of all basic vintage , trance ..sounds with also some defaut preset

we can tweak , layering all those patchs ;)
in other way , its very helpfull to understand to setup quickly a sound

Theo.M

08 Mar 2015

djfm1983 wrote:Anyone know where you can buy patches for Thor if any other synth in Reason that has that modern EDM synth or bass sound? I haven't been able to find anything that sounds like modern EDM. I actually waiting till I can afford Massive or Sylenth 1 because they seem to be how everyone is achieving those sounds. Any tutorials anyone knows for programing Reason synths that can actually sound modern?
did you try the vengeance thor set? Geared for just EDM. Exode everything really also. I have the x synth commercial version on my old drive too, lucky i never sold it, that was pretty special. If you go RE's tons more options become available. Also for factory devices check out soundcells for your edm pads, they rock.

djfm1983

08 Mar 2015

djfm1983 wrote:Anyone know where you can buy patches for Thor if any other synth in Reason that has that modern EDM synth or bass sound? I haven't been able to find anything that sounds like modern EDM. I actually waiting till I can afford Massive or Sylenth 1 because they seem to be how everyone is achieving those sounds. Any tutorials anyone knows for programing Reason synths that can actually sound modern?
Theo.M wrote:
did you try the vengeance thor set? Geared for just EDM. Exode everything really also. I have the x synth commercial version on my old drive too, lucky i never sold it, that was pretty special. If you go RE's tons more options become available. Also for factory devices check out soundcells for your edm pads, they rock.
I'll definitely look into that Thor refill. I'm not buying anymore REs (for synths I own Predator and polysix). I'm just looking for some patches to hold me over until I can buy Sylenth1 or Massive, I Haven't seen any synths with as many good patches you can buy like the ones you can for those. I'm moving my main production to Live 9 (and Reason rewired).
soundcloud.com/djfm1983

Theo.M

08 Mar 2015

Theo.M wrote:
djfm1983 wrote: I'll definitely look into that Thor refill. I'm not buying anymore REs (for synths I own Predator and polysix). I'm just looking for some patches to hold me over until I can buy Sylenth1 or Massive, I Haven't seen any synths with as many good patches you can buy like the ones you can for those. I'm moving my main production to Live 9 (and Reason rewired).

ok you may want to look at some polysix and predator refills also then ;) Plenty of predator patches around, and some lovely little inexpensive polysix ones.

djfm1983

08 Mar 2015

Theo.M wrote:
djfm1983 wrote: I'll definitely look into that Thor refill. I'm not buying anymore REs (for synths I own Predator and polysix). I'm just looking for some patches to hold me over until I can buy Sylenth1 or Massive, I Haven't seen any synths with as many good patches you can buy like the ones you can for those. I'm moving my main production to Live 9 (and Reason rewired).
Theo.M wrote:

ok you may want to look at some polysix and predator refills also then ;) Plenty of predator patches around, and some lovely little inexpensive polysix ones.
I looked into some polysix refills but the demo for them sounded weak. Didn't sound like anything for modern EDM (probably because it's an 80's synth emulation). Where have you seen Predator patches for the RE version? Also can you convert Predator patches that are made for their vst version? I've found patches for their vst but not their REs.
soundcloud.com/djfm1983

djfm1983

08 Mar 2015

I saw that Predator has a patch converter... Has anyone tried it yet? It doesn't really say too much on how to go about converting the patches. I found a patch set for $3 that I'm going to buy to try out the converter before I spend more money on bigger sets.
soundcloud.com/djfm1983

pjeudy

08 Mar 2015

djfm1983 wrote:I actually waiting till I can afford Massive or Sylenth 1 because they seem to be how everyone is achieving those sounds. Any tutorials anyone knows for programing Reason synths that can actually sound modern?
Just in case this helps...here's a good way I think one should look at when viewing tutorials.

If there's a tutorial that you see and you like, but they are using a synth that you don't have,try and get the basic information on how those sounds are being achieved .you'll be surprised often then not you can recreate (not the same  exact 010101 of information) but you will be able to make something along the lines of what you saw/heard!

Try to look for :
OSC  : which wave form are they using ? chances are you're synth has that same wave form! :-)

Filter : Which one are they using,Low pass/high pass/Band pass etc...

Pitch bend : did they use a pitch bend? Modulation wheel? what is the modulation routed to? did they say in the video? You can route airplane flights using THOR's Matrix :-)

Distortion : did they use it? which one ? I don't mean from which developer but what mode...? usually it's just an overdrive.

In my opinion over time even if you can not get there exact same sounds ..but you'l learn to navigate you're synth like they do..and find you're own similar sounds!! That's the theory :-)

Take a look at sylenth1. Every ones favorite. you can go to Lennard digital site and see exactly what features it has! here's the link : http://www.lennardigital.com/sylenth1/
This information tells you that those sounds designers are " possibly" using reverb/distortion/phaser/chorus/eq/delay/compressor/Arp
4 Osc with the most basic of waves Saw/triangle/sine/square and a couple of hybrids.This is everything REASON has.

If you hear a lead sound ..it's ok to think of a saw wave and go from there, if it sounds distorted...add a distortion Reason device or use a synth that has distortion ANTIDOTE,THOR,PREDATOR. What will help instead if  just hitting random notes!

Also it's always good to brush up on the basic information:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6pp6OMU5r8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9niampRkFW0

By the way these may not be what you're looking for ..maybe it is...but if you get around to getting MASSIVE...Look these guys up !:
http://sound.artenuovo.com/index.html  :t2018:
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

X1Lo

09 Mar 2015

I've been able to find some decent tutorials over the years on youtube, and a few of my favorite are by - Speo, Dorincourt and Lucky Date. 
I own Sylenth1 and have several soundbanks for it, and would highly recommend anything by Vengeance Sound. 
"As I stare into the digital abyss, I will remember when the world was real."

mbfrancis

09 Mar 2015

+1 for Exode's Massive Synthesis Refill. (need to login to PH)

The Kevin Sunray Epic refills are massive and all use stock devices.

This is great free refill, although the patches are too loud: http://www.roberttoddsound.com/Nightclubseriesgold.html 
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

hydlide

10 Mar 2015

you might also like thors hammer, its a free download containing 4000 patches based on thor
http://downloads.reasonexperts.com/Thor ... -Final.rfl

enjoy!

Theo.M

11 Mar 2015

djfm1983 wrote:I saw that Predator has a patch converter... Has anyone tried it yet? It doesn't really say too much on how to go about converting the patches. I found a patch set for $3 that I'm going to buy to try out the converter before I spend more money on bigger sets.
it works just fine but on mac is only 32 bit so make sure you have a 32 bit vst host you can use it with.

The predator 3rd party preset world is pretty big, there are tons and tons of patches out there. The best value is the $39 from RP themselves, as it is a bundle of 600 patches from very well known sound designers so the quality is definitely there and the value is great and will give something a little different to Rob's on board stuff. It's always good to have variety.

Rice

11 Mar 2015

hydlide wrote: you might also like thors hammer, its a free download containing 4000 patches based on thor

enjoy!
Didn't know about this one, just downloaded it, sounds great to me...thanks!

hydlide

13 Mar 2015

Rice wrote: Didn't know about this one, just downloaded it, sounds great to me...thanks!
Awesome to hear!
enjoy! :)

mbfrancis

17 Mar 2015

hydlide wrote: you might also like thors hammer, its a free download containing 4000 patches based on thor

enjoy!
Wow, Thor's Hammer is amazing.  How...why...what...where can I donate?
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

• Information