Momento - Cinematic song (Out of Africa meets Shindlers List meets The piano... sord of)

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
mcatalao
Competition Winner

19 Mar 2015

You implied an intention about the tambourine... 
For what i recall there wasn't a conscientious intention of mixing either styles... 

It was more like this "Man, i need some rhythm here... Hey, there's a tambourine!"
:)

selig
RE Developer

19 Mar 2015

mcatalao wrote:You implied an intention about the tambourine... 
For what i recall there wasn't a conscientious intention of mixing either styles... 

It was more like this "Man, i need some rhythm here... Hey, there's a tambourine!"
Then indeed my point is even more important - for film style work you must reference the past/present/future and evoke emotions based on the intention of the scene. It's like a writer using a word you don't know the meaning of IMO! If you're a writer and want to write TOTALLY creatively and experimentally (think Naked Lunch) then you can do whatever you like that creates the desired effect.

But since this is a "cinematic" song in the vein of Out of Africa, Shindlers List, The Piano, I felt the stated intention was pretty clear, no? I'm not a gambling man, but I'd guess there's not a single shaken tambourine in any of those scores - and that's the ONLY point I'm attempting to make here (besides adding that I was a student of classical percussion at one point in my life!).

Everything is about context in music, and the context was stated by the op and I'm simply attempting to respond "in context". 

Probably talking in circles here - hope this makes sense!
Selig Audio, LLC

mcatalao
Competition Winner

19 Mar 2015

Well i might need to explain the context better, but the comparison in the title is because of the result, not the initial intention. Chicken and the egg, right?

The only thing i can tell you is that i created the main theme after knowing a good friend of mine was ill. It is thus a result of a state of mind after a real life event, rather than an objective analysis of a scene of a movie. 

Anyway... I would not say we are circling... Maybe we are just Agreeing do not Disagree?  :s0826:

selig
RE Developer

19 Mar 2015

mcatalao wrote:Well i might need to explain the context better, but the comparison in the title is because of the result, not the initial intention. Chicken and the egg, right?

The only thing i can tell you is that i created the main theme after knowing a good friend of mine was ill. It is thus a result of a state of mind after a real life event, rather than an objective analysis of a scene of a movie. 

Anyway... I would not say we are circling... Maybe we are just Agreeing do not Disagree?  :s0826:
I didn't think we disagreed on anything, unless you are suggesting that a shaken tambourine is a classical technique (it's not). Otherwise, it's all up to you. I only suggested that IF this was a cinematic approach you should be aware that technique would not be considered consistent. IF you are aware of this and still choose to do it, what is there that I could possibly disagree with?!?

It's about awareness - If you were asked to record traditional renaissance music and you used a modern flute, someone would ask if you were aware that flute didn't exist at the time the music was written. If you did this intentionally, for effect, it could only be because you were "aware" of this. If you do it accidentally, someone will question your knowledge of music from that era.

Same for cinematic music! But again, it's impossible for us to disagree since I didn't imply anything you did was right or wrong. I simply provided you with insight as to how your track compares to the tracks you named. It's 100% up to you to choose whether this needs to sound authentic or not! Sorry to imply in ANY way there was any disagreement on my part with the choices you made!
[PS, this is STILL one of the most beautiful melodies I've heard in some time, equally as good as any in the scores you mention!]
Selig Audio, LLC

mcatalao
Competition Winner

19 Mar 2015

We are not disagreeing. As you said we never did. :)

• Information