Momento - Cinematic song (Out of Africa meets Shindlers List meets The piano... sord of)

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
mcatalao
Competition Winner

06 Mar 2015

Hi!

This is an oldie i did in R6.
It's a mellow cinematic track with piano, strings, and recorder.

Techniallities...
Piano is from RPI and strings are from Miroslav Orchestra.
The flute was played by me with a Moeck Soprano, into a Octava Mk012, into a TLAudio 5052 -> into  focusrite A/D.

http://soundcloud.com/mcatalao/momento

Hope you like it.
MC

Despondo
Competition Winner

06 Mar 2015

Very nice!  Great job!

JNeffLind

06 Mar 2015

Really dig the flute. The piano also sounds solid. Not a big fan of the strings. I'd replace them by a layered flute part early on, just playing whole notes and multi-tracking to get chords. Just my two cents. Nice work man. 

mcatalao
Competition Winner

07 Mar 2015

Thanks guys, glad you liked it.

Jeff, thanks for your comment. I'm afraid for the purpose of this song, that idea is not in line with what I wish (a mellow cinematic song in the range of the movies I said in the subject).

dE.niz

07 Mar 2015

this is a nice track..
played with great feeling

dE.niz

mcatalao
Competition Winner

07 Mar 2015

Thanks dE.niz, glad you liked it!

VNUprod

07 Mar 2015

Uhhh nice feeling and composition!

mcatalao
Competition Winner

09 Mar 2015

Thank's man, glad you liked it!

Scoobyman II

09 Mar 2015

I had this playing in the background while reading some news clip, and it made it very dramatic. Nice work. I hope this was or gets used for a soundtrack.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

09 Mar 2015

Scoobyman II wrote:I had this playing in the background while reading some news clip, and it made it very dramatic. Nice work. I hope this was or gets used for a soundtrack.
Glad you liked it!
There's only sense to music if it touches the listeners heart!

darkmode

11 Mar 2015

Great track. Beautifully mellow!

frog974new

11 Mar 2015

nice atmo and feeling on this track
may be improve the mix ( attack and level of the piano )

JNeffLind

12 Mar 2015

I just want more of that flute. It's like cow-bell. I've got the fever. But for the flute. I guess I'll take what I can get.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

12 Mar 2015

Wow, glad you liked guys!

frog974new:
I'm afraid that mix is quite final.
To be honest, you're the first person to refer to the mix, and i really do not feel any problem with the piano.
I'm also not looking into change the dynamics of the piano, since i feel it fits the calm and graveness of the song.

JNeffLind:
Hehehe! Glad you like the flute! You can listen to some more stuff with me playing flute:

This song is even OLDER. The Flute is a Moeck Alto, into a Studio Projects B1, and the bass is a Fretless from reason ReB, the piano in the ending is a Jazz Patch from Rpi, and the drums are also from reason. The guitar is a friend of mine playing a very dull Yamaha acoustic nylon guitar. The recording was in Cubase 4 (or 5? i don't know because i simply don't use it since Record! ).

selig
RE Developer

12 Mar 2015

Man that's an absolutely gorgeous melody/theme there - bravo (wish I had written it!). 

The flute sounds more like a recorder or tin whistle to me - what type of flute is it?

The only thing that sounds totally out of place to me is the wide stereo tambourine part (both the sound/mix and the part), something you wouldn't hear like that in a typically cinematic/orchestral track (I studied orchestral percussion on scholarship in college). The off beat 'accent' at 3:01 sounds too much like a 'mistake' to my ears.

The ending is a tiny bit out of the blue to me, but doesn't necessary sound "bad". Other than that I have no comments except to say I am envious of your skills!!!

;)
Selig Audio, LLC

mcatalao
Competition Winner

13 Mar 2015

Hi Selig!

The flute is a Moeck Soprano (its a Recorder, standard tuning).

The Tambourine is actually the thing i'm less comfortable with in this song, though i wanted to keep the song simple regarding rhythm... 

I'm really thankful for your review, i'm really glad (and proud) you liked it!

selig
RE Developer

13 Mar 2015

mcatalao wrote:Hi Selig!

The flute is a Moeck Soprano (its a Recorder, standard tuning).

The Tambourine is actually the thing i'm less comfortable with in this song, though i wanted to keep the song simple regarding rhythm... 

I'm really thankful for your review, i'm really glad (and proud) you liked it!
In traditional film/orchestral music the tambourine would be struck rather than shaken (and would have a head). You can play the same basic rhythm, but it would never (in my experience) be a simple back and forth shaken pattern - FWIW, as always. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

15 Mar 2015

I did like the tambourine  :)

Closed my eyes and I was transported to a top of a mountain in a range, beautiful song.

In fact when the 
tambourine came in I picture a big burning fire, crackling away, and Indians walking about, very thought provoking and inspiring, well done  :)

selig
RE Developer

15 Mar 2015

PoohBear wrote:I did like the tambourine  :)

Closed my eyes and I was transported to a top of a mountain in a range, beautiful song.

In fact when the 
tambourine came in I picture a big burning fire, crackling away, and Indians walking about, very thought provoking and inspiring, well done  :)

I like the tambourine too - it's just something that's out of character for the intended style IMO (and it's JUST my opinion). I guess I see a difference between liking something personally, and knowing whether it works for the intended genre or not - hope that even begins to make sense!

If this was for an actual film it would all depend on what scene it was intended to support.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

mcatalao
Competition Winner

16 Mar 2015

PoohBear, Glad you liked it, and that it helped you  "fly away" a bit.

Selig, i agree the Tambourine is played in a pop'ish manner, and is not suited to the style. However... 
I don't have any plans to change it right now.

I doubt this song will ever come to feature in a movie, but i might release it in a new future on a CD and Itunes and such.
Maybe when that happens, and if i feel it has to change, i'll take your comments in consideration.

Thanks again!

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

16 Mar 2015

I guess I see a difference between liking something personally, and knowing whether it works for the intended genre or not
In traditional film/orchestral music the tambourine would be struck rather than shaken 
I do understand where you are coming from, but I also had a little chuckle about it as like you it's a reminder on how people perceive things differently.  :)

To me music has to:- Give me goosebumps or be thought provoking or to touch me inside or to get me tapping or bobbing my head, basically does this piece move me. If this is correct or not for that genre or struck to shaken does not even enter my "personal" equation but I understand people who listen to music technical (but I don't want that to sound cold or unemotional).

Last Alternative

19 Mar 2015

I actually like the panning tambourine. It adds to the vibe and in film music anything goes. I agree with Selig though on that one offbeat strike of the tamb. That one hit should be removed because here I was in a soothing bliss until that part kinda startled me like a bad jolt. Otherwise it's very pretty. I would've given it a more theatrical ending.
Thumbs up.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

selig
RE Developer

19 Mar 2015

My main point is not about whether the tambourine "works" or not for folks, but is mentioned to demonstrate that it is NOT a traditional part. If you intention is to be traditional, it's out of place. If your intention is to mix modern with traditional, this is but one way of doing it (there are others that may or may not work even better here).

These are the type of conversations had between producer/engineers and artist/composers every day, trying to get to the intentions behind the writing to be sure things are coming off as intended!

In other words, it's not about personal preference but about knowing the meaning of the words you're using so the intended meaning is communicated to the listener in as much as that is possible! :)
Selig Audio, LLC

mcatalao
Competition Winner

19 Mar 2015

Last Alternative:

Thank's man. Great you liked it.

Selig:

I'm sure it was a way more simple process than the one you describe... ;)

selig
RE Developer

19 Mar 2015

mcatalao wrote:Last Alternative:

Thank's man. Great you liked it.

Selig:

I'm sure it was a way more simple process than the one you describe... ;)
Wait - Did I describe something complicated and didn't even realize it?
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information