Double Rainbow Mode.

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
pushedbutton

04 Mar 2015

Look at the prettyness, realise the simplicity, embrace the rainbow.
Attachments
DoubleRainbowMode.jpg
DoubleRainbowMode.jpg (263.64 KiB) Viewed 3074 times
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

pushedbutton

10 Mar 2015

Well I've realised that colour enhances my ability to visualise intervals. If you learn that the root note is Red and the notes in the scale are Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Cyan, Pink then back to Red,  you'll be able to see what a major chord is just by seeing Red as the Root note, Yellow is the third note and Blue is the Fifth.
My idea is to be able to overlay Reason with Key guides, so the picture is what the colour scheme might look like if you had it set up in C Major. If you wanted to switch to Minor then the yellow highlight just needs to move down a semitone. The Root note would dictate where the Red highlight was positioned and the rest of the colours would follow suit. Very handy for quickly finding variations, checking for bum notes and just generally looking pretty. It's all very basic theory and I'm sure someone will come along to poke holes in the idea but it works for me.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.

selig
RE Developer

10 Mar 2015

The only confusing part for me is that the actual notes have ALL the colors in them, which is counter intuitive IF the whole idea is to assign colors to scale steps. Otherwise you are definitely on to something, though I would not expect everyone to "get" this as not everyone is visual and responds primarily to color. I personally like color myself, so that's possibly why I get the basic concept here.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

pushedbutton

10 Mar 2015

Yeah to be honest I just got carried away with the gradient fill effect for lolz.
But it would be cool for a gradient to express the adsr over the length of the note (not illustrated here).

selig
RE Developer

10 Mar 2015

pushedbutton wrote:Yeah to be honest I just got carried away with the gradient fill effect for lolz.
But it would be cool for a gradient to express the adsr over the length of the note (not illustrated here).
Not if it uses the same colors as the notes, which have pretty much used up all the colors!!! ;)

Also, it would have to be able to be updated in real time as you adjust the controls of a synth - and what happens when you have a CV control the envelope's attack or decay/release time? Not to mention: how the heck do you show release times if the end of the note is the note off? That display would get pretty confusing when you play the same note over and over that has a long release time (just to mention one possible example). :)
Selig Audio, LLC

pushedbutton

10 Mar 2015

Not if it uses the same colors as the notes, which have pretty much used up all the colors!!! ;)

What if the note was white with a thin black outline or even a solid box with a coloured line passing through it? A slow release red note would shift through stages of pink i guess, but if you use a deep enough red and a hot enough pink there shouldn't be too much confusion.

Also, it would have to be able to be updated in real time as you adjust the controls of a synth - and what happens when you have a CV control the envelope's attack or decay/release time?

That would look freakin awesome wouldn't it? lol Maybe real time updates would be a lot to ask but it could get bundled in to the save and optimise process to update a snapshot.

Not to mention: how the heck do you show release times if the end of the note is the note off?

Easy! With sparkles! :D ...or just let the colour bleed beyond the boundary of the note.

That display would get pretty confusing when you play the same note over and over that has a long release time (just to mention one possible example). :)

Yeah, it might also highlight the fact that you're playing the same note with a long release way too much :P , but I think having white notes that go coloured when they're at their loudest sat on pastel coloured lanes would probably be a better way of seeing things. That and some sparkles.

selig
RE Developer

10 Mar 2015

pushedbutton wrote:Not if it uses the same colors as the notes, which have pretty much used up all the colors!!! ;)

What is the note what white with a think black outline or even a solid box with a coloured line passing through it? A slow release red note would shift through stages of pink i guess, but if you use a deep enough red and a hot enough pink there shouldn't be too much confusion.

Also, it would have to be able to be updated in real time as you adjust the controls of a synth - and what happens when you have a CV control the envelope's attack or decay/release time?

That would look freakin awesome wouldn't it? lol Maybe real time updates would be a lot to ask but it could get bundled in to the save and optimise process to update a snapshot.

Not to mention: how the heck do you show release times if the end of the note is the note off?

Easy! With sparkles! :D ...or just let the colour bleed beyond the boundary of the note.

That display would get pretty confusing when you play the same note over and over that has a long release time (just to mention one possible example). :)

Yeah, it might also highlight the fact that you're playing the same note with a long release way too much :P , but I think having white notes that go coloured when they're at their loudest sat on pastel coloured lanes would probably be a better way of seeing things. That and some sparkles.

Hey, I'm always up for some sparkles, don't let anyone tell you otherwise!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Ecopro

13 Mar 2015

No, Rainbows are too gay for my eyes to look at for too long.
Please refrain from making jokes like this one. Some might find it offensive and it can easily turn into a shit fest.
Guts Electronic Mayhem

pushedbutton

13 Mar 2015

Just saying what everyone would be thinking, but point taken.

craven

13 Mar 2015

check out the editor Hookpad, it has a similar color coding (but on a scale level, so the root note of each scale is always red):
http://www.hooktheory.com/hookpad/new

:ugeek:

pushedbutton

13 Mar 2015

craven wrote:check out the editor Hookpad, it has a similar color coding (but on a scale level, so the root note of each scale is always red):
http://www.hooktheory.com/hookpad/new

Awesome, thanks :)

eusti

13 Mar 2015

Is this for April first? Somehow reminds me of CrapRE... ;)

D.

pushedbutton

13 Mar 2015

Well go try that hookpad thing and see if you get it then.

motuscott

22 Mar 2015

I voted for 
Wbl3001 Dispositif Pour Contact Premier
What did I win?

Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Melody303

23 Mar 2015

I kinda miss how in Reason 3 the clips (groups) on sequencer tracks automatically got different colors based on whether they were different than other groups. It made for very colorful sequencing. :P
I know I can color them myself, but that's too much hassle.

As for what you're suggesting here, I'm neither for nor against. I'd work with it or without it, I don't mind either way.
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

TheGodOfRainbows

11 Sep 2016

pushedbutton wrote:Well I've realised that colour enhances my ability to visualise intervals.

If you learn that the root note is Red and the notes in the scale are Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Cyan, Pink then back to Red, you'll be able to see what a major chord is just by seeing Red as the Root note, Yellow is the third note and Blue is the Fifth.

My idea is to be able to overlay Reason with Key guides, so the picture is what the colour scheme might look like if you had it set up in C Major.

If you wanted to switch to Minor then the yellow highlight just needs to move down a semitone. The Root note would dictate where the Red highlight was positioned and the rest of the colours would follow suit.

Very handy for quickly finding variations, checking for bum notes and just generally looking pretty. It's all very basic theory and I'm sure someone will come along to poke holes in the idea but it works for me.
In all seriousness though, I love this thread, and your ideas. I have long imagined this kind of color coordinated piano roll. I have classical guitar etude tab books, in which I have used colored pencils to outline EVERY note in some cases, so that while I'm looking at guitar tab, I'm also associating that note on the fretboard with the one on the notation. Same thing with violin, recorder and flute. So, I love this idea if Props or any devs want to take this kind of thing seriously.

pushedbutton

12 Sep 2016

Cool, thanks for supporting the idea. Kinda random to find you resurrecting the thread after 18 months but perhaps there is still some hope for it.

kuhliloach

12 Sep 2016

jonheal

12 Sep 2016

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

michal22

13 Sep 2016

For me, the idea of the colors of the notes is cool, but I think that the colors should not be motley and one color. Every note should have its color from consideration scale. When you change the scale - colors should be changed to helping to arrange notes.
Ableton Live Suite 10 / Reason 10 / Windows 10 / Fingers - also 10 ;)

pushedbutton

13 Sep 2016

michal22 wrote:For me, the idea of the colors of the notes is cool, but I think that the colors should not be motley and one color. Every note should have its color from consideration scale. When you change the scale - colors should be changed to helping to arrange notes.
Yeah, that's what I've been saying all along. always have the root note in red and the rest will follow.

Catblack

11 Oct 2016

I've implemented palettes in my Launchpad Pro codec. The default palette is a Circle of Fifths one, and it's downright psychedelic to see all of the colors shift to one end of the spectrum when I'm in a scale mode, or to see some of the 12-notes displayed modes showing a rainbow stripe that I can play... I'm starting at red for C, too. Here's a couple of pictures. The second picture is of my one year old playing one of the scale modes. Transposing is awesome too!

But colors and music? That's the future I'm coding for my kid, and it's so, so good!
IMG_20160927_104402.jpg
IMG_20160927_104402.jpg (208.08 KiB) Viewed 2819 times

IMG_20161005_134246.jpg
IMG_20161005_134246.jpg (802.05 KiB) Viewed 2819 times
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

pushedbutton

15 Sep 2019

Just thought I'd randomly resurrect this thread for lols.

Jagwah

18 Sep 2019

I remember people suggesting zebra patterns and all sorts over the years. Cool ideas just like the double rainbow mode, but considering we did amazingly get an update to clip colours at one point I imagine the likelihood of having the feature updated again would be similar to having an eighteen wheeler PeterBilt truck exploding and vaporizing into a dissipating gas because it ran into a cooked pea on the road.

pushedbutton

14 Jan 2021

Well someone's gone and made something called Theoryboard THY333.
Its on kickstarter. They should probably consider sending me a free one as a good will gesture.

• Information