New Wave

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Digitus

03 Mar 2015

I uploaded this track yesterday and got some good feedback from Benedict. I took his advice and hopefully made some improvements. It's a very simple instrumental New Wave flavored track. I'm definitely interested in feedback because my mixing setup is somewhat limited right now.

Thanks.

Benedict
Competition Winner

03 Mar 2015

Sounds great now. The grindy guitars have a John Foxx/Ultravox sound whilst the overall sound is shades of early EBM.

If you have Reason 7+ then your mixing set up is not limited. Even with so-so monitoring you can do great work once you train yourself to know them. The advances you have made in this mix will have taught you a lot.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Scoobyman II

03 Mar 2015

That is intense. I really like the clearness and separation of the sounds.

xxASMxx

03 Mar 2015

I like this track a lot.  More specifically, I like your overall choice of sounds and the mix sounds very good to me.  Nice job!

Ecopro

05 Mar 2015

Drums on this are huge. A very electric and energetic vibe. Sounds great to me!
Guts Electronic Mayhem

X1Lo

05 Mar 2015

More cowbell.
"As I stare into the digital abyss, I will remember when the world was real."

Digitus

05 Mar 2015

Benedict wrote:Sounds great now. The grindy guitars have a John Foxx/Ultravox sound whilst the overall sound is shades of early EBM.

If you have Reason 7+ then your mixing set up is not limited. Even with so-so monitoring you can do great work once you train yourself to know them. The advances you have made in this mix will have taught you a lot.

:)
Thanks Benedict! Mixing music is sort of a strange beast. My ears often lose the ability to remain objective so it really helps to get feedback from fellow creators. It's also nice to know I can still keep creating even with a not so ideal setup.
Scoobyman II wrote:That is intense. I really like the clearness and separation of the sounds.
Thanks Scoobyman
xxASMxx wrote:I like this track a lot.  More specifically, I like your overall choice of sounds and the mix sounds very good to me.  Nice job!
Cool Beans xxASxx!
Ecopro wrote:Drums on this are huge. A very electric and energetic vibe. Sounds great to me!
Thanks Ecopro! I had to go back and completely redo the drums as I had too many layers and that was actually working against what I wanted. I think they sound much better this time around. It's really true that less is more.
X1Lo wrote:More cowbell.
I'll get right on it!  :crazy:

Majestik Monkey

06 Mar 2015

Nice track Digitus  :s0230:  are the guitar power chords C & D major ? 

craven

06 Mar 2015

yeah, great mix and great track! Did you use any 'tricks' to make it sound so loud and punchy (ozone etc.) other than good mixing (EQing)?
:ugeek:

JNeffLind

06 Mar 2015

I don't know enough about mixing to comment on what you did, but like others I'll say that this sounds like everything is very well separated and cleanly put together. Not generally my style of music but I'm still digging it which is a good sign. Actually gave me a bit of a Michael Jackson's Thriller vibe early on as well. 

Jagwah

06 Mar 2015

Oh god it's so gigantic! Wow what a sonic space, some amazing mixing work there. Really unique / interesting vibe, great work!

Digitus

08 Mar 2015

craven wrote:yeah, great mix and great track! Did you use any 'tricks' to make it sound so loud and punchy (ozone etc.) other than good mixing (EQing)?
1) Plenty of (EQing) 

2) Parallel compression on the toms.

3) Several instances of Softtubes Saturation Knob. 

4) Panned sounds when appropriate to help them sit in the mix.

5) Asked for feedback because it's so easy to lose objectivity.

6) Adjustment of ssl gain input and fader levels.

7) Use of maximizer limiter, stereo imager, and slight ssl compression.

8) Crossed my fingers.

Majestik Monkey wrote:Nice track Digitus  :s0230:  are the guitar power chords C & D major ? 
Well, that sounds about right, but I can't be absolutely sure. I dug this song up from long ago so the riffs are all samples at this point. I don't actually play guitar, so the riffs were created using the VSTI Slayer. Then I chopped everything up until it sounded useable.

JNeffLind wrote:I don't know enough about mixing to comment on what you did, but like others I'll say that this sounds like everything is very well separated and cleanly put together. Not generally my style of music but I'm still digging it which is a good sign. Actually gave me a bit of a Michael Jackson's Thriller vibe early on as well. 
Micheal Jackson you say.... Yeah, I can see where you're coming from on that. It's interesting how everyone hears something different. As for myself, it reminds me of early Adam Ant stuff. It's probably the drums that give me that impression. Anyhoo, I'm also glad the mix is translating well so thanks for that feedback.

Jagwah wrote:Oh god it's so gigantic! Wow what a sonic space, some amazing mixing work there. Really unique / interesting vibe, great work!
Thank you Jagwah!

• Information