Prog Rock in Reason

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Amyjer

02 Mar 2015

Here is a new instrumental recorded in Reason with many REs, Chapman Stick, and Zendrum:

Benedict
Competition Winner

03 Mar 2015

Hi

I like Prog so I won't pass this by. Definitely of the complex, lots of notes variety. Listened to ELPs Tarkus on the way to work. There are parallels here but I think what lets you down is that the overall sound of the mix is a bit dark and cluttered. I think that could be solved with some EQ and even a (dare I say it) Mastering process that adds detail with a bit of Saturation (like the Onyx RE or the free Softube Saturator). See the thread on Mastering patches and that before & after track for what I mean.

Musically it seems good and if there is an album, make sure you post it here.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Digitus

03 Mar 2015

Good stuff! I was getting a strong Jazz vibe more than Prog Rock, but who knows?  :thumbup:

Amyjer

03 Mar 2015

Thanks for the kind words and helpful suggestions! I will go back in and see what I can do with the EQ (this is a chance to see if Carve can help!) and saturation.

I seem to play in the space between jazz and rock so there is definitely a jazz influence in there too.

Amyjer

15 Mar 2015

I remixed the tune using Carve (what a great RE!) and applied tweaks to the mastering. Hopefully it has improved things a bit. Thanks for listening!

Amyjer wrote:Thanks for the kind words and helpful suggestions! I will go back in and see what I can do with the EQ (this is a chance to see if Carve can help!) and saturation.

I seem to play in the space between jazz and rock so there is definitely a jazz influence in there too.

JNeffLind

15 Mar 2015

I dig it. I like this more than the other one you have currently posted. This one seems much more to have a "pocket" the listener can get into. The other seemed a bit too "progressive" for my simple ears, though it had moments as well.

Benedict
Competition Winner

15 Mar 2015

Hi

I think it is clearer now. Still a 70's sounding mix which is nice for warmth.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Amyjer

15 Mar 2015

Thanks!  I appreciate all the feedback!

• Information